Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Map Inporting

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Opossum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting thread! Thanks for all the help. I'm on a PC not MAC and tried to use mapsource several times and although the .gpx extension they wouldn't load. When I put the thumb drive in and import routes they show up on the screen and wether you check one or all error message comes up can't access nav datatbase etc. Called HD 1-800 help and the guy on other end never even heard of mapsource and told me the ONLY way to import routes was in Ride Planner. I loaded the routes into the Garmin 665 then to Ride Planner, saved them, (each route named itself hdRoute 1 thru 8),and imported them to infortainment. All 8 routes loaded, yet NONE of waypoint info did. Stuff like motel name address phone was gone and the call it simply end point. went back to ride planner and zoomed in on the map in a route, and it appears that if you not stayin at Best Western, you not in the ride planner. went on with the trip (3 other bikes w/ 665's) out of 8 routes two went and followed everybody and 6 wanted to go of on a tangent other than the loaded route. Has ANYb body been able to load with mapsource and done any good?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 PM
ktorian
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Opossum
Interesting thread! Thanks for all the help. I'm on a PC not MAC and tried to use mapsource several times and although the .gpx extension they wouldn't load. When I put the thumb drive in and import routes they show up on the screen and wether you check one or all error message comes up can't access nav datatbase etc. Called HD 1-800 help and the guy on other end never even heard of mapsource and told me the ONLY way to import routes was in Ride Planner. I loaded the routes into the Garmin 665 then to Ride Planner, saved them, (each route named itself hdRoute 1 thru 8),and imported them to infortainment. All 8 routes loaded, yet NONE of waypoint info did. Stuff like motel name address phone was gone and the call it simply end point. went back to ride planner and zoomed in on the map in a route, and it appears that if you not stayin at Best Western, you not in the ride planner. went on with the trip (3 other bikes w/ 665's) out of 8 routes two went and followed everybody and 6 wanted to go of on a tangent other than the loaded route. Has ANYb body been able to load with mapsource and done any good?
This is the same problem I am having. I have tried gpx files created by ride planner and mapsource with the same result. I have also used multiple usb drives with the same result. I see the files but when I attempt to import, I keep getting error messages. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? HD has been no help so far.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:22 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Opossum
Originally Posted by ktorian
This is the same problem I am having. I have tried gpx files created by ride planner and mapsource with the same result. I have also used multiple usb drives with the same result. I see the files but when I attempt to import, I keep getting error messages. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? HD has been no help so far.
Well I can tell ya, while using HD's Ride Planner may have its quirks, it is by far the easiest to deal with. I am leaving on a 4 day trip with some friends and I spent the better part of my nights and free time working on the ride plans.

I used Basecamp to initially plan, and Google to verify. I ended up in the end using RP, but it had its issues.

On a few rides it would forget some of my via points and drop routes. I would just have to parse out the rides one more, or break it down and create additional rides.

As far as RP recognizing other hotels, yeah I found this annoying. But the saving grace here is YOU can name any POI you want. Regardless if you name it or not, when you import your route, that POI is in the GPX file.

If you look at your POI on the left list, look at the text real close there is a hyperlink that allows you to name that POI.

IF you reread this thread, I explain why there is no need to reimport all the POI's when loading/importing trip routes.

I know this thing has its faults, but it does work, trust me, you just have to get your head around it, and I agree you shouldn't have too.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 AM
rcharles
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep getting the same error also. I broke our ride in to 3 legs with 3 or 4 stops in each. Used Ride Planner and only used POI's in ride planner. 2 of 3 legs loaded after several attempts. My 3rd leg I can't get to load and keep getting the database error. I have kept that leg on my flash drive and plan on showing the dealer when I have it in for the ABS brake line recall and see what they have to say about it. I'm sure they will they won't have a clue.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb

I will also assume most of you are exporting your GPX files manually out of HD RP and then copying them to a flash drive...

[TIP] The default name is always hdroute.GPX - even after it asks you to name the file.. PITA. So make sure you rename them once they are downloaded to your local computer's HD. :-)

Also, I have mentioned this before, but I will reenforce - the HD Ride Planner web application defaults to "fastest time" for a route setting based on what I have experimented with. I have hunted high and low to see if there is a place to change those settings in the web application, can't find it yet, but if you do please share.

That being said - if you design a ride in HD RP and then upload it to your HD GPS Infotainment - double check what you have YOUR GPS settings set for. If you plan a ride in RP and it shows you freeways and highways and then you move it over to your GPS and you see it taking you down curvy roads and side streets and other roads that you were not expecting - cancel the navigation, go to home->setup -> navigation setup -> route calculation - and check what you have selected - this WILL make a difference.

HTH

Old 06-19-2014, 10:15 AM
rcharles
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
I will also assume most of you are exporting your GPX files manually out of HD RP and then copying them to a flash drive...

[TIP] The default name is always hdroute.GPX - even after it asks you to name the file.. PITA. So make sure you rename them once they are downloaded to your local computer's HD. :-)

Also, I have mentioned this before, but I will reenforce - the HD Ride Planner web application defaults to "fastest time" for a route setting based on what I have experimented with. I have hunted high and low to see if there is a place to change those settings in the web application, can't find it yet, but if you do please share.

That being said - if you design a ride in HD RP and then upload it to your HD GPS Infotainment - double check what you have YOUR GPS settings set for. If you plan a ride in RP and it shows you freeways and highways and then you move it over to your GPS and you see it taking you down curvy roads and side streets and other roads that you were not expecting - cancel the navigation, go to home->setup -> navigation setup -> route calculation - and check what you have selected - this WILL make a difference.

HTH

Interesting, I was under the impression that once I had my route laid out in RP that it would keep the route as I had it planned when I transferred it to the bike regardless of what my settings on the bike are set at.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:27 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rcharles
Interesting, I was under the impression that once I had my route laid out in RP that it would keep the route as I had it planned when I transferred it to the bike regardless of what my settings on the bike are set at.
It all depends on how detailed your route is (# of waypoints/POI, etc). If you've got just point A to B, the GPS is going to route you there differently with highway vs. scenic roads set in the settings.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:41 AM
jkane13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep getting the same error also. I broke our ride in to 3 legs with 3 or 4 stops in each. Used Ride Planner and only used POI's in ride planner. 2 of 3 legs loaded after several attempts. My 3rd leg I can't get to load and keep getting the database error. I have kept that leg on my flash drive and plan on showing the dealer when I have it in for the ABS brake line recall and see what they have to say about it. I'm sure they will they won't have a clue.
Look for an apostrophe (') in the name of some part of the route. That will cause a database error. Remove it.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:44 AM
jkane13
Tourer

Not even close. Maybe in some places, but I had 4 sets of routes for a ride a couple weeks ago. I wanted one, but the 9 turn limitation made that not possible. The only route that followed the same on the GPS as the Ride Planner was a 12 mile leg that was only one one road the whole way. <sigh>

This is why we need more than 9 way points. Then I can force everything to follow the same route by placing a waypoint at every turn!

Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 AM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ktorian
I've also been getting this the past couple of weeks. I just did some searching and saw my Dealer's name (Kane's Harley Davidson) so I just put in the address instead of the name. It worked!!

This has been bugging me for a couple of weeks now. I can't believe that an apostrophe would cause that error! Damn Nav!

Last edited by T_Dogg80; 07-01-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: GPS Map Inporting