GPS Map Inporting

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DBLXX
Makes complete sense and THANK YOU for helping.

Last question....

Let's say day 2 has 3 Via Points and 1 Way Point. I now understand that I need to "pass through" the via points for the GPS to continue on leading me to my destination. I plan on following it...so I will assume it will "pass me through." But the Way Point...do I need to STOP at the Way Point or can I just pass through as well?
In the context of the HD GPS - Via Points and Way Points are one in the same. The HD GPS basically has via points/way points (nomenclature) and then POI's. The HD GPS allows you to use the WP/VP's for route correction or modification and POI's as places to "stop", or destinations.

So you will have to always pass over or through or hit WP's and/or VP's as you ride. Once you hit a POI however and the GPS feels you went over or through it or by it enough for it to feel you have arrived, it will stop navigation.

If I read your earlier directions correctly....the Way Point has now split my 1 day trip into 2 mini trips which have to be asked for by the GPS separately, correct? This will show as 6-14-20141 and 6-14-20142. When I choose 6-14-20141 this "trip" will end at Way Point 6-14-20141 and when I begin leg 2 I need to choose 6-14-20142.

This sound right?

You are a life saver by the way.

THANK YOU
Ok - your close..

Way Points and/or Via Points, as long as you do not exceed 9 (nine) of them, will not split your route up.

Let's say you have a 2 day trip set up.
You have your house as a start point A (lets pretend you live in Indiana), and then Sturgis, SD as your ending point B.
For this route you had to add 4 Via Points or Way Points to adjust the route the way you like it.

You name the ride Sturgis. You will get one trip called Sturgis. And no matter where you are on the route, you will have the GPS never cancel the route, so you will just pick up where you left off on those nights you had to stop and rest. Or if the GPS was stopped, when you tell it to start that route again, it will ask you if you want to continue and will figure out where you are and where you are going, and then just resume the route based on where you are after your first day of riding.

Now we take the same example as above, BUT instead, you started here in Indiana and you wanted to visit the HD Museum. Then you wanted to stop over in Badlands, and then you wanted to get to Sturgis.

NOW this is where your route will divide up (regardless if you have way points and/or via points)...

So you started from Indiana and your 1st destination is the HD Museum, and you have 2 or 4 VP's, or none, this will be "Sturgis".

Then you have from the HD Museum to the Badlands - again whether you have 0 or 6 way points or via points to force correct "this" trip/route - this will be called Sturgis 1.

Then you have your last route from the Badlands to Sturgis - again maybe you have 0 way points/via points or 6 - this will be Sturgis 2.

Making sense?

As long as the qty of way points/via points does not exceed the max allowed by the HD GPS, you do not need to split up your trips.

What always splits up a trip is POI's, places with an address - to make it easy - in the context of the HD GPS.

This is what "I" have found.

Let me know if this helps or not.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:17 PM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude....YOU ARE A HUGE LIFESAVER and I NOW think I have this whole baby understood.

Makes a whole lot of sense when you understand how IT thinks versus how YOU think it should think.

Again....THANK YOU !!!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:22 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Wink

Originally Posted by DBLXX
Dude....YOU ARE A HUGE LIFESAVER and I NOW think I have this whole baby understood.

Makes a whole lot of sense when you understand how IT thinks versus how YOU think it should think.

Again....THANK YOU !!!
*HA! LOL - You're very welcome... yeah that is the trick, you have learned well young Grasshopper.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 PM
rolf_the_wolf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ChristoHD
Thanks for your time and well done explanations.
If you are happy from Indiana to the MoCo Museum with 4 waypoints, then the GPS can be used.

However, and this is my biggest criticism to the MoCo.
If you plan a ride (e.g. in Europe) and your one day trip you plan has over 100 waypoints (this is not unusual) than is the Boom GPS just crap.

As jkane13 in thread 9 already mentioned
"Rushmore may be advertised as a product that had input from riders, but they were not riders who went on pre-planned rides!"

Wonder, to whom the project team has spoken about GPS requirements.
IMHO, what HD provided and named GPS, is the biggest deficiency and must be improved asap.

Therefore, I still use my Garmin with the HD Garmin inst kit.
But frustration stays.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:11 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rolf_the_wolf
@ChristoHD
Thanks for your time and well done explanations.
If you are happy from Indiana to the MoCo Museum with 4 waypoints, then the GPS can be used.

However, and this is my biggest criticism to the MoCo.
If you plan a ride (e.g. in Europe) and your one day trip you plan has over 100 waypoints (this is not unusual) than is the Boom GPS just crap.

As jkane13 in thread 9 already mentioned
"Rushmore may be advertised as a product that had input from riders, but they were not riders who went on pre-planned rides!"

Wonder, to whom the project team has spoken about GPS requirements.
IMHO, what HD provided and named GPS, is the biggest deficiency and must be improved asap.

Therefore, I still use my Garmin with the HD Garmin inst kit.
But frustration stays.
Agreed. I think HD could have done a LOT better. The GPS technology seems to be outdated for a state-of-the-art motorcycle.

Trust me, I wish they had worked out a deal from Garmin.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 AM
DBLXX
Road Master

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
*HA! LOL - You're very welcome... yeah that is the trick, you have learned well young Grasshopper.
I had/have a great teacher....

Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 AM
WildX
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Note to self and others.
I did a route plan from Long Island to Lake George for Americade. The plan was great.
So I figured I would do other plans and the return trip at the hotels business centers computer. WRONG!!!!!!
The Hotels computers are so locked down you can't export the .GPX files to a memory stick.
So if you plan on doing rides when you are away you have to find an open access computer or bring a laptop. Any other way you are S.O.L.
I used to be able to do it on my Garmin. Other then that I think the HD GPS worked great.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM
DBLXX
Road Master

Originally Posted by WildX
Note to self and others.
I did a route plan from Long Island to Lake George for Americade. The plan was great.
So I figured I would do other plans and the return trip at the hotels business centers computer. WRONG!!!!!!
The Hotels computers are so locked down you can't export the .GPX files to a memory stick.
So if you plan on doing rides when you are away you have to find an open access computer or bring a laptop. Any other way you are S.O.L.
I used to be able to do it on my Garmin. Other then that I think the HD GPS worked great.
As a 26 year hotel guy I can 100% agree with this. Plan everything before you leave. Hotel computers are basically good for 3 things:

1) printing boarding passes
2) checking email
3) surfing the web

We actually don't want people to be able to do more....

Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 PM
rolf_the_wolf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or make a reservation for a large family suite and take your ultra to the room. Then you can manually re-arrange the routes all night long.

Alternative, take a normal room and buy a Garmin.

Sorry about this of topic answer :-)

Old 06-12-2014, 04:16 PM
WildX
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All HD has to do is make the App for Android or Apple be able to place your route .GPX on the memory on your phone. Then you can upload it to the GPS via Bluetooth. BUT NOOOO why would they make it that easy.

Quick Reply: GPS Map Inporting