Sponsored by:

GPS Map Inporting

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Wayne Carlton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skieverything
Some one correct me if I am wrong, but if the gps will hold 18 routes and 9 way points per route, that means the unit will hold 162 waypoints! Seems like that would be quite a ride right there.....what am I missing??
Your missing the fact that on a long ride after 9 point limit you have to load next trip its posable but a pain in the a**

Last edited by Wayne Carlton; 04-04-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

ChristoHD - glad it worked.

I think it is the way the system looks at what we call stops and legs.

Waypoints are not stops - you just cruise by them and keep going. The end of a leg is a stop. So, let's say you go from NY to LA - and plot it on RP. You want to spend the night in IL. When you click on the hotel in IL as a stop, that becomes your first leg.

If the trip was names Calif Ride for example, on your flash drive you will not see, Calif ride and Calif Ride 1. If the second night was in Kansas, then the flash drive will say Calif Ride, Calif Ride 1 and Calif Ride 2,

Now, if you had waypoints in there, the flash drive will automatically pick them up on your route.

POIs are already in your system - and also on RP. If you click on a POI - you then save that to your ride and it will change your ride plan. Once changed, that POI now becomes a stop (which makes it a leg.

My bike has been in the garage for the winter -so, I have been playing with the box. I have discovered it is best to simply clean out everything - delete all routes I saved. And, before you start to import routs, clear the list first.

Then import from my flash drive as I need them (and only import what I need.

See how that works

Last edited by cycle7447; 04-04-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:40 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Following this thread and although I'm not real savvy yet through the posts of cycle, ho jones and others I'm learning. Not sure if this helps but I created a test ride, Home to Orient Point on the east end. I put 7 "waypoints" in it, mostly course corrections just so I could ride the roads I wanted. When I imported the route to the system, it came up on the screen as one route, "Home to Orient Point", no individual stops. I see Christo's route has many individual stops (all in that one route I'm assuming), could that be messing the system up? Should all those individual stops be shown or hidden in the route? Hope I made myself clear, thanks!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cycle7447
ChristoHD - glad it worked.

I think it is the way the system looks at what we call stops and legs.

Waypoints are not stops - you just cruise by them and keep going. The end of a leg is a stop. So, let's say you go from NY to LA - and plot it on RP. You want to spend the night in IL. When you click on the hotel in IL as a stop, that becomes your first leg.

If the trip was names Calif Ride for example, on your flash drive you will not see, Calif ride and Calif Ride 1. If the second night was in Kansas, then the flash drive will say Calif Ride, Calif Ride 1 and Calif Ride 2,

Now, if you had waypoints in there, the flash drive will automatically pick them up on your route.

POIs are already in your system - and also on RP. If you click on a POI - you then save that to your ride and it will change your ride plan. Once changed, that POI now becomes a stop (which makes it a leg.

Based on what I saw on your video, you had a ride with a poi already listed as a leg and then tried to send the ride back to that POI again - that may be causing the problem.

My bike has been in the garage for the winter -so, I have been playing with the box. I have discovered it is best to simply clean out everything - delete all routes I saved. Then import from my flash drive as I need them (and only import what I need.

See how that works
Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Following this thread and although I'm not real savvy yet through the posts of cycle, ho jones and others I'm learning. Not sure if this helps but I created a test ride, Home to Orient Point on the east end. I put 7 "waypoints" in it, mostly course corrections just so I could ride the roads I wanted. When I imported the route to the system, it came up on the screen as one route, "Home to Orient Point", no individual stops. I see Christo's route has many individual stops (all in that one route I'm assuming), could that be messing the system up? Should all those individual stops be shown or hidden in the route? Hope I made myself clear, thanks!
Ok - I figured it out - put everyone's minds together and through trial and error we come to resolution and acquire knowledge - so yes - you both are 100% correct.

1st - This is what throws me, and possibly others. Each stop, or point to point place you go and "stop" (NOT including waypoints used to adjust the ride for the roads you want) is a leg, or a little trip if you will, inside your big planned trip - this is what you have to get your head wrapped around.

So in my round trip example with 6 places to visit - starting from home, going to the first POI is a stop, and the 1st leg of the trip - once there, you then call up the 2nd leg of the trip you have as a POI which is now your 2nd stop. And that continues. So the mindset is this, in your head it is all one trip, but as far as the GPS is concerned it is really several little smaller trips. And after each "stop" or POI, you have to then call up the next leg in the order from all the legs you have imported. Continue to select each leg/trip, in order, each time you stop and continue on you '"perceived" one ride.

So I get it - THANK YOU cycle7447 and IUOE Rob!

Sad thing is the manual makes NO reference to this, at all.

So only import the legs, or each of the little trips the GPS recognizes. The waypoints are not seen at this time, but are there to help the GPS calculate the route you have set, you will see these later when you choose the route/trip in the 6.5 system. You Do NOT need to import the POI's that you see on the list, since those already exist in the GPS' software, unless you have created a custom one, import it separately.

Make sense?

Last edited by ChristoHD; 04-05-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Yes, makes sense. I had posted earlier but have not tried it yet, a possible way to get around the 9 waypoint limit is to break each leg of your trip down to 9 waypoints and import them as individual trips, they should come up listed in order and individual. Then when you get through the first "leg" (9th w/p), you would manually change to the second leg (next 9 w/p's) and so on until you finish the trip. Don't know if you would have to stop and change the leg manually or you could do it on the fly or MAYBE the system would just recognize the entire trip and automatically go to the next route (leg) as my Garmin used to do. Something to play with...

Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 PM
dhermann43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really wish and hope that HD will make a revised firmware to allow for more than 9 way-points per trip. I have now planed 6 trips and 3 of them had to be 2 or more diff files consisting of up to 9 way-points per file totaling up to allot of way-points therefore having to split the trip up into multiple files. Pain in my @$$

GPS should be able to allow for this, I'd love to know the reason why the software developer only choose 9 way-points per trip, obviously he isn't the kind of guy or girl that likes to choose twisty roads over freeways and highways. Come one now!!!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:33 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dhermann43
I really wish and hope that HD will make a revised firmware to allow for more than 9 way-points per trip. I have now planed 6 trips and 3 of them had to be 2 or more diff files consisting of up to 9 way-points per file totaling up to allot of way-points therefore having to split the trip up into multiple files. Pain in my @$$

GPS should be able to allow for this, I'd love to know the reason why the software developer only choose 9 way-points per trip, obviously he isn't the kind of guy or girl that likes to choose twisty roads over freeways and highways. Come one now!!!
I think because it's based on automobile software unlike the Garmin's which are hand-held units used for hiking, etc.

I doubt either software engineer was thinking of the way motorcyclists plan runs. The hand-held software just lends itself to a bike more naturally. No reason why they can't add more way points, just someone has to realize that's a priority for motorcyclists.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:32 PM
skybox ed
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I give up, tried about everything at this but unable to get any waypoints to transfer. the saved ride shows them, but when I create the gpx file nothing but the start and stop locations with no route when I re-import to ride planner. I even went step by step with the above 2 part articles and cant get nuthin?

do I have to change the waypoints to locations?

Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by skybox ed
I give up, tried about everything at this but unable to get any waypoints to transfer. the saved ride shows them, but when I create the gpx file nothing but the start and stop locations with no route when I re-import to ride planner. I even went step by step with the above 2 part articles and cant get nuthin?

do I have to change the waypoints to locations?
Waypoints - you can see on Rideplanner and/or Basecamp or whatever you use as your route panning software, you will not see them when importing into the HD GPS. Waypoints are corrections or forced modifications you set or create while planning a route because the RP and GPS route calc engine is creating a route you do not like where or how it is going. Think of waypoints as ghost thumbtacks your placing in/on your route so you can either take the roads you want, or avoid the ones you don't want.

POI - these are stops, places you want to go. Using RP you can have as many of these as you want, BUT the HD GPS on the bike will look at these as trips or stops.

The HD GPS - does not show you waypoints during import, only routes & POI's or stops.

So, for example, I am planning a ride, and for this I will keep it simple...

Start - home
1st stop (POI) - HD dealer
2nd stop (POI) - lunch at local diner
3rd stop (POI) - car show
4th stop (POI) - home

Now you set this up using your RidePlanner software or basecamp. You plug in or plot these on the map. Then RP or BC using their own GPS calculation engines determine the route based on those 5 POIs . But you do not like the route, takes you through a bad neighborhood, maybe toll roads, whatever it is... you want to change the route.

1st let me address one thing, "you" see this as one trip, but the HD GPS sees this as 4 trips, so as such:

1. Home to HD dealer
2. HD dealer to diner
3. Diner to car show
4. Car show to home

Ya with me so far? So even if at this point you have not created any other mods to the trip (we have not created our waypoints yet) and we export this out of RP or BC to our thumb drive and you name this trip "funday" and go to your bike and start the import routine you will get a list of 4 routes (funday, funday2, funday3, funday4) and 4 POIs (home, dealer, car show place, home) once you select the trip during the import that HD GPS software will see.

You will just import the 4 trips; funday, funday2, funday3, funday4. Unless any of those POIs are custom (but we will save that for another discussion).

Now understand something here at this point... We have 4 routes consisting of point A and point B data - NOTHING IN BETWEEN, and that is it. So when the HD GPS reads these points it will calculate the route based on your GPS settings/preferences of scenic, faster time, shorter distance, twisties, etc, getting me so far?

Now let's go back to our RP or BC route planing software and using the same trip let's make some route modifications. Let's say that from your house to the dealership the GPS route calc engine took you through the hood, on a tollway, and through an industrial park. So now you start creating waypoints to force route changes to the GPS' auto route calc engine. And for this example let's say we had to use 8 WPs to change the route from your house to the dealer to something you liked.

We make some similar route mods between the dealer and the diner, but this time it only took 2 waypoints to make the route how we wanted it.

The rest of the trip is AOK based on what the GPS calc engine routed.

So now you have your same 4 trips which consists of the same places but now with 10 waypoints.

1. Home to HD dealer - 8 waypoints
2. HD dealer to diner - 2 waypoints
3. Diner to car show
4. Car show to home

So now you save, export to t-drive, go to bike and start the import process again...

You will see exactly the same thing again as I described earlier, first you will see your trip name, select it, then you will see the 4 routes labeled funday, funday2, funday3, funday4, and then the POIs. Just select and import the 4 routes.

NOW - when you select your route in the HD GPS, those waypoints are embedded in each of those 4 trips (well two of them anyway, house to dealer (funday) and then dealer to diner (funday2)), so when the HD GPS calculates the route using the starting point on funday from house to dealer, it sees those embedded waypoints and knows to calculate its route based on your settings AND having to consider the waypoints you set up for that trip, and the same for our second trip.

YOU NEVER SEE THE WAYPOINTS WHEN IMPORTING INTO THE HD GPS - you will see them, and you better run over and through them too while traveling on your route with the GPS and when you look at your trip details on the HD GPS.

I have been working on a little tutorial, almost done I will post soon, this should help clear things up for a lot of folks.

HTH

Last edited by ChristoHD; 04-26-2014 at 05:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cajunrph (08-10-2016)
Old 04-17-2014, 05:31 AM
hal174
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you so much for the last post, that was so helpful and really made sense I have printed a copy for future reference. Thanks again for taking the time to post really appreciate that.

Quick Reply: GPS Map Inporting