Sponsored by:

GPS Map Inporting

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 PM
WaucondaRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by COWBOY1296
Yesterday started off as usual. The gps started routing me off of my intended route. On the bike my setting is set at fastest. Even when it did this the screen showed the wrong route and the correct route at the same time. But after 25 miles into the trip it worked fine for the rest of the day. On my reverse route home it was perfect. I used Tyre to plot my trip.

Do i trust the gps on my 29000 dollar harley? Not in this life time. So prior to a days ride i will always study road maps so i can tell the difference between the correct route and the wrong one.
I've noticed too that sometimes it displays two routes but haven't figured out why.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 PM
kc hog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WaucondaRider
I've noticed too that sometimes it displays two routes but haven't figured out why.
Mine does the 2 route display sometimes. It get confusion sometimes.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:12 PM
rolf_the_wolf
Intermediate

Or in a one liner summary:

Do not use the 6.5 GPS and buy a Garmin as it was 5 years ago !

The MoCo is not willing or capable to fix the real end users problem.
By the way, we are those who pay the MoCo salaries.

Regards
Rolf; who spent 35k USD for a great bike, and 300 USD for a Garmin

Last edited by rolf_the_wolf; 08-26-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:19 PM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default who knows

I just checked the website and the new update is there. Who knows if it addresses the issues are not.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:18 PM
bjryman
Tourer

That was great information...but I have another problem. The route gpx imports but the other waypoints gpx file made by Basecamp doesn't. In fact I get an error about not being able to read DB. Then I can't get even the route gpx to import again and my other route files have disappeared in the Where To screen.
I am using and IMac to create the gpx files....will this only work from a PC?
I have no problem importing until I try to change the route manually and add waypoints

Old 09-19-2014, 07:00 PM
bjryman
Tourer

I have tried everything noted in this thread, to no avail. Have both an IMAC with Basecamp and a PC where I used HD Ride Planner

In both cases, no matter what I do, the only route that works is one that ignores any changes I make to the it. Oh, I can choose the "twisty" etc options of course, but the rest doesn't work. I get all the screens, and imports fine. But when I try to use it no good.

I had a Garmin Zumo 550 with XM Radio on the handle bar of my 08 Ultra for 50,000 miles and it worked with Basecamp flawlessly.

This very frustrating as I will custom build a route that takes me where I want to go with minimally marked roadsigns. What a downgrade in features.

The rest of the 14 Ultra Ltd is great. Hope the navigation catches up

Old 09-19-2014, 07:34 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by bjryman
I have tried everything noted in this thread, to no avail. Have both an IMAC with Basecamp and a PC where I used HD Ride Planner

In both cases, no matter what I do, the only route that works is one that ignores any changes I make to the it. Oh, I can choose the "twisty" etc options of course, but the rest doesn't work. I get all the screens, and imports fine. But when I try to use it no good.

I had a Garmin Zumo 550 with XM Radio on the handle bar of my 08 Ultra for 50,000 miles and it worked with Basecamp flawlessly.

This very frustrating as I will custom build a route that takes me where I want to go with minimally marked roadsigns. What a downgrade in features.

Funny you posted this, I'm sitting here for an hour (after an hour last night) trying to save a route so I can import it into the 6.5. We're going to Gettysburg next week and I'm trying to stay off the main roads. I've created the route using Route Planner and saved it to my Road Tech (Garmin 550) as a backup to the 6.5 but when I save it to the memory stick (I THINK I'm doing it right as I see the file hdRoute.gpx on the stick) and try to import it into the 6.5 I get the message "No NAV or Media file found". Very frustrating...good luck to you.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 PM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default back up

I dont have a back up other than an old fashion road map. Last weekend i went on a poker run. I noticed two errors in the guidance. When i returned to my computer i noticed that the errors could have been created by me. I have a 3 k trip coming up in a week, so it better work but i will be studying my road maps as well. I gave up trip planner ride planner or what ever it is called and base camp a long time ago. I am not saying that http://www.tyretotravel.com/ is the way to go but until someone proves me wrong i will stick with it. For me it is easier to plot and downloading has not been a problem, getting lost could be.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:13 PM
RonaldNC
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bjryman

I'm not sure why you're having problems. I have used both the HD Ride Planner and Basecamp on my Mac successfully. I really like Basecamp more because it doesn't rely on a web connection and is much faster. I'll take a shot at some things to try...

Make sure that your USB drive is formatted using FAT32.

Make sure your USB drive has nothing else on it... just reduces the chance of errors

Make sure you don't exceed the 9 waypoint limit. I love Basecamp because it will tell you how many waypoints you have on the "Info" tab

I always start my routes about a couple of blocks from my actual starting place. The navigation has a real intolerance for you missing any forced waypoints... even your starting point.

I delete all my prior loaded trips and saved POIs on my bike computer before starting the import and I always reload all the trips from Basecamp's "My Collection". I just don't want any confusion if I happen to load the same trip twice... not sure what would happen.

When importing, only import the base navigation file (the one with the route name) and any added location/POI files.

I set both my computer and the bike to use similar route settings, such as "quickest route", avoidances (toll roads, highways, u-turns, etc.) and such. So far I haven't had any problems with the routing since I started doing this.

I've got about 8-10 routes loaded in the system and they seem to work fine. I'm also running 1.17.4.

Hope this helps...

Old 11-02-2014, 02:19 AM
vinver
6th Gear

Always ensure that any names you use for locations, route, etc do not contain apostrophes.

Regards,
vincent

Quick Reply: GPS Map Inporting