Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Map Inporting

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:22 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

I had a problem with this. Created a long but simple route, 200 miles long but just point a to point b. started the route about 50 miles down the road and the navigator wanted to take me back to the starting point. I not seeing much of a way around that problem.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:37 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by plongson
I had a problem with this. Created a long but simple route, 200 miles long but just point a to point b. started the route about 50 miles down the road and the navigator wanted to take me back to the starting point. I not seeing much of a way around that problem.
What did you use to create the route with? Do you have the .GPX file still?

Old 07-10-2014, 04:38 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EC145Pilot
Well, that one worked, so here's another.
This one also shows how to "activate" a route.

Video:
http://youtu.be/5HLOgAYqVOo
Good contribution with the videos Pilot!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 PM
kc hog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey EC145Pilot, thanks for the video. I have loaded and deleted 50 to 70 routes. For the past few days when I would select the route to be deleted it would load the route. Tonight I went through the same procedures as the previous days, the addition commands were listed and I deleted 6 routes.

I grab my phone to make a video showing the delete command did not appear, but tonight it worked.

Maybe I need to add another gremlin bell.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, I just re-did all of my routes for an upcoming trip to several western states in August, making sure that they were each a maximum of 9 waypoints, including starting and ending points.

I had to cut one route in two, just to leave enough waypoints to have any hope of the route working, but that was the only splitting I did.

Here's hoping the Nav works as hoped. If not, I'll just use it like a point to next city thing each gas stop. Or not. I've been out there enough that I don't need maps too much anymore.

Using Tyre for now, will report back after the trip as to the success/fail rate of my efforts.

All the best,

Shane

Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 PM
kc hog
Tourer

Good luck on your ride!

Old 07-11-2014, 06:31 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tyre

On a recent trip where i used Tyre on a poker run. I entered addresses for the businesses to go to where we could pick up our cards. One location the address showed to be on the opposite side of the street and another it showed the right side of the street but about an 1/8 of a mile short. I guess with gps this is suppose to be expected. So its not perfect but i like its learning curve.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:45 AM
mcw999
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall
That is correct. The link from Harley will lead you there for updates, add ons etc. They are not some fly by night outfit as implied by many here.

They make the in dash systems for many automakers including;

VW, Chevrolet, Fiat, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Mitsibishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault

As well as just about every third party stereo system head manufacturer on the planet (sony, Jenson, Harmon, Samsung, pioneer, alpine, etc)

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/deviceSelect
Parent company is called NNG (www.nng.com). They are based in Europe. They provide maps and sotware to companies who make products, like Harmon Kardon who manufacture HD's system. So the GPS in your Acura or Jeep or other vehicle will resemble Harley's Infotainment navigation system.

I've used Garmin's motorcycle units (550 and 660) for several years, and am still trying to figure out how to effectively use the unit on my '14 Limited. So far it seems to take a lot more actions to accomplish a task. But I am still learning. It's like going from Mac to PC. Functions are there but in different places and with some different names and concepts. The discussion here is really valuable because the manuals are very short, and the online tutorial on the Harley site is fairly basic. Many thanks to ChristoHD and the rest of the contributors.

I'm still trying to figure out how to import a list of Favorites that I had in my Garmin (addresses of relatives and friends, favorite places, and so forth) so it will show up in the "Saved" list on the system.

Also the system implies it will access a "Book" on an attached cell phone. This seems like it could be useful - anyone accomplished this yet? The cell phone address book, I think?

One thing I would do on a trip is take the Garmin off the bike in the evening, get out some maps and guidebooks, and find some places to visit the next day. If I found them on the Garmin, they would be in the "Recently Found" list and would be easy to pop in as destinations while on the go. So far, I have found entering data directly into the HD system on the bike to be a major PITA.

The designers of this system had a vision for how things worked, basically put in and end point and go there, just shut up and follow the system. Great for truckers and commuters but not so much for vacationers and explorers who want more complex trips.

I'm confident there will be ways to get things done more easily in the system, we just need to discover them - - so far the nav system is the only thing on my '14 that isn't up to par.

Update:
Connected my Samsung SIII (Verizon) via Bluetooth to the bike. in Navigation, Where To... brings up selection for Address Book on the phone - so far so good - can get the names in the book - -but addressess don't work? - - but that's due to the fact the the "Country" field isn't populated! Once this is done (and it appears as if it HAS to be "United States" not US or USA) it works. So a possible solution to having your own custom address list is to use the phone via Bluetooth.

Last edited by mcw999; 07-17-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:08 AM
jkane13
Tourer

Originally Posted by mcw999
I'm still trying to figure out how to import a list of Favorites that I had in my Garmin (addresses of relatives and friends, favorite places, and so forth) so it will show up in the "Saved" list on the system.
Take a look at this thread ...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...-system-2.html

Here is a quote from that that boils it down ...

"I then copied the Current.gpx file from my Zumo. I found that if I avoided any favorites with apostrophes in them that they would import just fine. I did end up getting the 4 saved locations that don't work and I can't get rid of now because I didn't know it would import them wrong. If you don't mind that, you can just not pick the one's with apostrophes and you can load everything else and be done importing."

If you want a "perfect" copy of your favorites from the Garmin, read the rest of the thread. If you just want to load what you can, then copy the current.gpx file from your garmin and upload it to the Infotainment. Only save locations without the ' character as that will cause database errors. There may be some locations that do not have proper descriptions and they will become saved places in the infotainment, but you can't access them. You can't even delete them! The thread explains which ones that will happen to.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 AM
mcw999
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jkane13
Take a look at this thread ...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...-system-2.html

Here is a quote from that that boils it down ...

"I then copied the Current.gpx file from my Zumo. I found that if I avoided any favorites with apostrophes in them that they would import just fine. I did end up getting the 4 saved locations that don't work and I can't get rid of now because I didn't know it would import them wrong. If you don't mind that, you can just not pick the one's with apostrophes and you can load everything else and be done importing."

If you want a "perfect" copy of your favorites from the Garmin, read the rest of the thread. If you just want to load what you can, then copy the current.gpx file from your garmin and upload it to the Infotainment. Only save locations without the ' character as that will cause database errors. There may be some locations that do not have proper descriptions and they will become saved places in the infotainment, but you can't access them. You can't even delete them! The thread explains which ones that will happen to.
Thanks for the info and pointer to the other thread!

Quick Reply: GPS Map Inporting