Sponsored by:

GPS Map Inporting

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 PM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mapsource

The Harley Ride Planner is not the only way to plan and download routes for the Infotainment GPS.

I've used Mapsource exclusively for the past 6 years, even though there is no longer support for it. Purchased the lifetime maps for my Zumo 550 and when the map is downloaded, Mapsource automatically recognizes it. I'm biased about Mapsource, since I've been using it for so long and can't get used to Base Camp or the Harley Ride Planner.

Now for loading the route into the Infotainment. Planned the route in Mapsource, ensuring there are no more than 9 waypoints, including the start and end. Save it as a .gpx file to a USB stick.

Go to the import function on the Infotainment, select the USB stick, the route will be displayed, but all the waypoints will be also. DO NOT SELECT THE WAYPOINTS! I do not know why, but if you select all the waypoints, in addition to the route, the system will try to load for an extended amount of time, then come up with a message that the database query failed and the route did not load. If you select only the route, it will load the waypoints also.

I just loaded 10 routes for a trip to NC and back and all loaded with no problem.

Whatever method of routing you use in Mapsource, fastest , shortest, etc..., along with the preferred road type, should match how you have the Infotainment set to navigate, fastest, scenic, twisties. If not, the Infotainment will recalculate and make changes.

Another tip - make sure the waypoints you place on the route are "on the route". If they are off the road, the Infotainment wants to take you there and will continue to do so, until you cancel the routing and start it again using the next planned waypoint.

Getting better at it. It's a learning experience.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 PM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinch
Just a clarification: although there is some conflicting information, the HD unit is apparently not by Garmin. I know the system is built by Harman Kardon; I don't know if they created the GPS software or had someone do it for them but apparently it wasn't Garmin. If you dig deep into the threads, you'll find where folks have contacted Garmin about the unit & were advised it wasn't their build, even though some dealers have thrown around the Garmin brand name.
It appears the software was developed by a company called Naviextras. As you can see, all of the HD Rushmore models are shown.
https://harley-davidson.naviextras.c...devicessupport

Last edited by GSHOG; 07-08-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GSHOG
It appears the software was developed by a company called Naviextras. As you can see, all of the HD Rushmore models are shown. https://harley-davidson.naviextras.c...devicessupport
That is correct. The link from Harley will lead you there for updates, add ons etc. They are not some fly by night outfit as implied by many here.

They make the in dash systems for many automakers including;

VW, Chevrolet, Fiat, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Mitsibishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault

As well as just about every third party stereo system head manufacturer on the planet (sony, Jenson, Harmon, Samsung, pioneer, alpine, etc)

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/deviceSelect

Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Opossum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EC145Pilot
The Harley Ride Planner is not the only way to plan and download routes for the Infotainment GPS.

I've used Mapsource exclusively for the past 6 years, even though there is no longer support for it. Purchased the lifetime maps for my Zumo 550 and when the map is downloaded, Mapsource automatically recognizes it. I'm biased about Mapsource, since I've been using it for so long and can't get used to Base Camp or the Harley Ride Planner.

Now for loading the route into the Infotainment. Planned the route in Mapsource, ensuring there are no more than 9 waypoints, including the start and end. Save it as a .gpx file to a USB stick.

Go to the import function on the Infotainment, select the USB stick, the route will be displayed, but all the waypoints will be also. DO NOT SELECT THE WAYPOINTS! I do not know why, but if you select all the waypoints, in addition to the route, the system will try to load for an extended amount of time, then come up with a message that the database query failed and the route did not load. If you select only the route, it will load the waypoints also.

I just loaded 10 routes for a trip to NC and back and all loaded with no problem.

Whatever method of routing you use in Mapsource, fastest , shortest, etc..., along with the preferred road type, should match how you have the Infotainment set to navigate, fastest, scenic, twisties. If not, the Infotainment will recalculate and make changes.

Another tip - make sure the waypoints you place on the route are "on the route". If they are off the road, the Infotainment wants to take you there and will continue to do so, until you cancel the routing and start it again using the next planned waypoint.

Getting better at it. It's a learning experience.
OK...so a light bulb moment for me! Selected only the routes and all 16 loaded (from my buddies mapsource file), calculated two of 'em for test in garage and they seem fine, BUT when I go to saved or POI tabs none of the hotels seem to be there, yet they were in the route as end points with their proper names etc. Is that right? From now on motto is "Don't always believe what my brain thinks" At least I'm goin in the right direction, THANKS for all the help!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:51 PM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Default Yes.

Originally Posted by Opossum
OK...so a light bulb moment for me! Selected only the routes and all 16 loaded (from my buddies mapsource file), calculated two of 'em for test in garage and they seem fine, BUT when I go to saved or POI tabs none of the hotels seem to be there, yet they were in the route as end points with their proper names etc. Is that right? From now on motto is "Don't always believe what my brain thinks" At least I'm goin in the right direction, THANKS for all the help!
That's how it works for me. Sometimes the waypoints on the route are correct and sometimes not. Guess that's a Naviextras feature.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 PM
kc hog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your getting there Opossum. I had a snafu again. I can't delete any of the routes I have loaded into the GPS. Last time this happened I had to rest the infotainment.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 AM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Default How to Delete a route.

Originally Posted by kc hog
Your getting there Opossum. I had a snafu again. I can't delete any of the routes I have loaded into the GPS. Last time this happened I had to rest the infotainment.

Hope this works.
Watch the video, just follow the movement of the cursor and where it is "pushed". The last few frames of the video are the start of another one on how to import routes, not part of the delete process. Once you select "delete" and press "yes" the delete process is complete.

Video:

Last edited by EC145Pilot; 07-10-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default thanks

I would always prefer to watch a video tutorial than read a book.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:20 AM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Default How to Import a route.

Well, that one worked, so here's another.
This one also shows how to "activate" a route.

Video:

Old 07-10-2014, 10:28 AM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Default How to Import a route.

Well, that one worked, so here's another.
This one also shows how to "activate" a route.
Also, the frame where the route is selected, there is only the route, no waypoints. You can tell this by the icon on the left, that's a route icon, the waypoint is different.
Using mapsource you can create a route without creating "waypoints", by using the route tool or drag the route where you want. This creates waypoints along the route that you don't see in the Garmin mapping programs, but may see in the Naviextras program. Just takes time to get use to the difference.
I don't know how this got posted twice. Tried to delete the post above, no luck. Mods?
Enjoy,

Video:

Last edited by EC145Pilot; 07-10-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: GPS Map Inporting