Sponsored by:

GPS Map Inporting

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Opossum
What I don't get is Ride Planner was made for the HD Gamin devices so the Gamin Mapsource created routes saved as .gpx SHOULD load also.
Just a clarification: although there is some conflicting information, the HD unit is apparently not by Garmin. I know the system is built by Harman Kardon; I don't know if they created the GPS software or had someone do it for them but apparently it wasn't Garmin. If you dig deep into the threads, you'll find where folks have contacted Garmin about the unit & were advised it wasn't their build, even though some dealers have thrown around the Garmin brand name.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default garmin

It was not a dealer who told me garmin but the MOCO. Which makes no sense. How can they not know what they are selling.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Opossum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinch
Just a clarification: although there is some conflicting information, the HD unit is apparently not by Garmin. I know the system is built by Harman Kardon; I don't know if they created the GPS software or had someone do it for them but apparently it wasn't Garmin. If you dig deep into the threads, you'll find where folks have contacted Garmin about the unit & were advised it wasn't their build, even though some dealers have thrown around the Garmin brand name.
'm not talkin about the "unit" Ride Planner has been around a helluva lot longer than the Rushmore project. check the actual ride planner program out and you'll see it was made to transfer files to the Harley branded Road Tech GPS's which were in FACT Garmin 660's and 665's. Has nothing to do with the unit, has to do with if Road Planner is a Garmin based program why can't Garmin made files (not done in RP) be transferred to the Rushmore GPS.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Default Ride planner

I understand now about ride planner. Not knowing base camp it is kind of complicated for someone trying to jump in and plot rides. I do need to learn it since i have a montana 600 and do some back country search and rescue missions.

Of all the different route plotters: ride planner; base camp; microsoft streets and trips and tyre, i want to think that i can import into the bike any of these gpx files. Since i know Microsoft S and T, i wish that it worked better. But i find some of the features in Tyre to be better. It is very similar to M S and T, and for me it was easy to learn. You can name way points, drag and drop easier and search for motels based on your ratings.

my gut feeling is that the problem lies with the gps or my rookie-ness. Now taking me to an address or a harley dealer the gps works fine, plotted routes not so well.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Opossum
'm not talkin about the "unit" Ride Planner has been around a helluva lot longer than the Rushmore project. check the actual ride planner program out and you'll see it was made to transfer files to the Harley branded Road Tech GPS's which were in FACT Garmin 660's and 665's. Has nothing to do with the unit, has to do with if Road Planner is a Garmin based program why can't Garmin made files (not done in RP) be transferred to the Rushmore GPS.
Road Tech units are 1 thing; my understanding is if you talk to Garmin they'll say they did not build the Rushmore GPS software - but that is what I read here, not from talking to them myself.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Opossum
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kevinch
Road Tech units are 1 thing; my understanding is if you talk to Garmin they'll say they did not build the Rushmore GPS software - but that is what I read here, not from talking to them myself.
What I'm talkin' about is...when I called the 1-800 Harley help desk I was told over and over that the ONLY way to import routes into Rushmore was via Harley Ride Planner! Therefore...if Ride Planner was built to service the Garmin Harley branded units (GARMIN) and it now is the "only" way to service Rushmore...then ANY Garmin program, ie Mapsource or Basecamp should also be able to create/load routes as well.. It's all .gpx!!! If it reads one .gpx, it should read ALL .gpx, YET it don't!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:58 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Default Basecamp FYI

Just in case someone reading this thread decides to d/l & try Basecamp...

I had a version an older version for my cage nuvi (I hadn't used it for a year).
While planning my MC trip to Florida a few weeks ago, I decided to Basecamp it. When I started BC, I get the message a new version was available, so I d/l'ed it.
I had a helluva time, it kept doing strange things, losing waypoints, freezing-up and when it showed my trip one-way from Ohio to Key West was 3,700 miles, I started looking closer.
It had routed me in multiple loops between some waypoints.
A week later, I saw there was already an update out to correct problems.

I uninstalled BC, but it still had remnants in the registry, so I carefull edited those out.
Reinstalled the newest version and it's been fine ever since.
Although they just released another newer version.
I checked with a friend who is really into POI's and such, he told me BC is in a constant state of change, improvements etc.

Ride Safe,

Last edited by 01XLH; 07-09-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I wanted to thank everyone so far for contributing to this thread.

Being a fairly experienced GPS user on multiple bikes and cars, I have been getting used to the "unique" qualities of the Limited GPS on my new scooter.

Having used Ride Planner and Tyre for about the same amount of time now (less than a week with each), it does seem that Tyre offers some advantages that Ride Planner doesn't. The no-maximum-waypoint feature is very much the same as my Garmin Mapsource interface, and much handier for longer routes.

Saving .gpx files works well with both systems, as the GPS doesn't know which program created them.

I think the next experiment is to use Mapsource, and see which of the three produces a better result with the bike GPS. With Ride-Planner-produced routes, the bike nav tries to pull me off to other roads a lot, with Tyre, not so much. That alone makes Trye the superior choice to me so far.

All the best,

Shane

Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanebo
Having used Ride Planner and Tyre for about the same amount of time now (less than a week with each), it does seem that Tyre offers some advantages that Ride Planner doesn't. The no-maximum-waypoint feature is very much the same as my Garmin Mapsource interface, and much handier for longer
It's not ride planner that limits you to 8 way points. It's the infotainment GPS. If you load a route into the GPS with more then 8 way points it will end your route at the the 8th way point.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Opossum
Cruiser

Saving .gpx files works well with both systems, as the GPS doesn't know which program created them. (quoted from Shanebo)

See my problem is that my sooter won't import .gpx files created in mapsource, but will import .gpx files from Ride Planner. That's what's makin me pull my hair (not hairs, LOL ) out. The waypoints from mapsource have address, phones, etc as part of the waypoint. The other programs don't. When my buddies make routes to share with the clan for a trip I otta be able to import a .gpx file from ANY source, but alas I can't. Just downloaded Tyre for a look see, but it "siezed" all my mapsource files and now they have the Tyre icon instead of mapsource icon on each route previously created. Will play aroun with it tommorrow. To reiterate...I've tried the PC version of Mapsource and Basecamp to import a .gpx route to my Rushmore device and get the error message "can't access data file" or some such crap. When I go to import them they come up on the screen as named, when I check either one route or check all routes it goes into the process and times out in many minutes later with no data imported and the error message. What I can't wrap my head around is WHY one .gpx loads and not all .gpx files.
ps I can live with the 9 waypoint limitation, not all this other bullstuff

Last edited by Opossum; 07-08-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added text

Quick Reply: GPS Map Inporting