Sponsored by:

GPS Map Inporting

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:12 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tyre

No doubt ChristoHD you have done a lot of work and your posts are very helpful. Have you even looked into TYRE.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:14 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by COWBOY1296
No doubt ChristoHD you have done a lot of work and your posts are very helpful. Have you even looked into TYRE.
Thank you Cowboy! :-)

Based on your post, I plan to later today! :-)

Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD

So I had my Zumo and my HD GPS the entire trip
Not to get off topic here, but which Zumo do you have? The problem I have in carrying mine on the bike as a back up (or in the car for that matter) is in the manner to power it with the vehicle's 12V system. On my model, the external power source is through the mount. That is different than the automotive GPS units, where there is an external USB jack on the case somewhere. The only USB connection on mine is behind the battery cover which must be completely removed for access. Is yours the same?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Originally Posted by Kevinch
Not to get off topic here, but which Zumo do you have? The problem I have in carrying mine on the bike as a back up (or in the car for that matter) is in the manner to power it with the vehicle's 12V system. On my model, the external power source is through the mount. That is different than the automotive GPS units, where there is an external USB jack on the case somewhere. The only USB connection on mine is behind the battery cover which must be completely removed for access. Is yours the same?
I have the Zumo 550. It came with car cradle mount and a motorcycle cradle mount. The motorcycle mount is a RAM mount, and then I bought the cigg lighter adapter for the motorcycle cradle mount so it keeps a charge.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Exclamation

I have the Zumo 550. It came with car cradle mount and a motorcycle cradle mount. The motorcycle mount is a RAM mount, and then I bought the cigg lighter adapter for the motorcycle cradle mount so it keeps a charge.
Correction - so it was SUPPOSED to keep it charged - but for some reason when I plugged it into the either the trunk or the fairing power outlet, it did NOT charge, so I am looking into that this weekend. My bad, sorry for the initial incorrect post. :-)

Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Unhappy

Originally Posted by COWBOY1296
Bummer - Windows only. :-( So it will have to wait when I can get to my laptop later where i have Win 8 emulator on it.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:36 PM
RickLB
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ChristoHD thanks for all your work in this thread. I've learned allot.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine also; I guess I was incomplete in my post (sorry) - do you have the motorcycle mount clamped to your handlebar? I want to avoid that; because of the Zumo mount design with the bundle of wires coming off the mount itself it isn't easily removed from the bike when not using the Zumo GPS. I'd like to use it ONLY as a back up; possibly using a set of ear-pods plugged into the output jack on the left edge of the unit. But to do so, you cannot power my Zumo with the vehicle's 12V power & must run it on the internal battery unless you remove the battery cover. Is yours the same?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RickLB
ChristoHD thanks for all your work in this thread. I've learned allot.
RickLB - my pleasure, the nerd in me loves this stuff! :-)

THANK YOU for your service, so I could have the freedom to be a nerd! :-)

Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Kevinch
Mine also; I guess I was incomplete in my post (sorry) - do you have the motorcycle mount clamped to your handlebar? I want to avoid that; because of the Zumo mount design with the bundle of wires coming off the mount itself it isn't easily removed from the bike when not using the Zumo GPS. I'd like to use it ONLY as a back up; possibly using a set of ear-pods plugged into the output jack on the left edge of the unit. But to do so, you cannot power my Zumo with the vehicle's 12V power & must run it on the internal battery unless you remove the battery cover. Is yours the same?
Yes - I have RAM mount/ball attached to my brake side assembly -
Amazon.com: RAM Mount Chrome Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Base With 1" Ball: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: RAM Mount Chrome Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Base With 1" Ball: GPS & Navigation

I just have one sleeved wire that comes from the cradle to a cigg lighter end. It works on my 2010 FLHP where I installed a mount power combo. But because (I think) how the 12V is wired on these (usually the positive and neg are reversed) it won't work.

Cradle assembly -
Amazon.com: Garmin Motorcycle GPS Mount for zumo 450 and 550: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Garmin Motorcycle GPS Mount for zumo 450 and 550: GPS & Navigation

Cradle power wire -
Amazon Amazon

I have no other wires other than that power cable for the Zumo cradle - and with this set up I can remove the whole caboodle if need be.

HTH?

Attached Thumbnails GPS Map Inporting-61gauwhwdql._sl1500_.jpg  

Quick Reply: GPS Map Inporting