Sponsored by:

GPS Map Inporting

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:40 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/

I am not a happy camper as most of you are not. I have called the MOCO regarding the gps a couple of times and their response "we have not heard of this problem" I stopped at different dealer ships and their response was "we have not heard of this problem". A couple of guys at the service counter said in a friendly tone that the people who complain on the forum are nothing but sour grapes. Are you starting to see a pattern here.

Ride Planner to me is a mute issue and a joke: Why should you have to sign on to the internet to plan a ride. Sometimes i could not access the website, while panning i got error messages and dragging and dropping was a lot of times an major issue.

I have attempted to us MS streets and trips without good results but i understand that others have used it with good results. Then i found http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/ and downloaded their basic trip planner. Its a lot like MS streets and trips and so much easier to use than base camp and you do not have to sign on to the internet to use it. Whats cool about it is that you can name your waypoints so they are easy to understand on the nav system and dragging and dropping is easy. Now all of that said it still tried to take me off of my route on a few occasions on my last trip. But being the rookie that i am maybe the problem there was me.

Also it has a feature to locate motels based on your likes.

Has anyone else tried http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/ and if so what are your thougts.

Last edited by COWBOY1296; 07-06-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Subscribed. And - thanks to ChristoHD for the tireless effort in not only trying to figure this system out, but also to put it down in a way we can understand.

I will be going over this thread a lot.

Just a note: I have a Zumo 665, which for those who are not familiar is a Garmin motorcycle specific waterproof GPS unit. This one has XM built into it too. I had it mounted to the handlebar on my last bike, & it is now residing in the glove box of my car as a backup in case I get lost - the car does not have factory GPS.

Anyway, it is an expensive unit. For all the expense & sophistication, it still had its quirks. I would plan rides in Basecamp, force the route using waypoints, & it would still sometime act very unpredictably & take me a different route. Very unsettling - especially when you are a Road Captain & leading maybe 15~25 bikes in a unknown city to a destination. I would always get to the correct endpoint, but very often not by how I had planned the route. It happened more than once in the Washington DC area, where I had specifically planned routes taking certain roads & exits. The Garmin took me far out of my way, making a longer trip & also taking more time; we were late to our destination & I pride myself for being on time.

This isn't really a complaint. I can easily remember the days of taping a map onto the gas tank in a zip lock to get where I wanted to go. But - even the best GPS doesn't replace a map IMHO, & at least a general knowledge of the area. I still think today's GPS units are fascinating in what they can do; & in time they'll only get better. The unit on my 2014 Limited is..well, limited in some aspects. I just hope that improvements can be addressed by software updates & HD doesn't decide to go with entirely new units because these are handicapped in application.

Does anyone know who created the software & hardware for HD?

Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 PM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Default manufacturer

I have been told some many things by so many different people who are supposed to be in the know but turned out to be wrong. I was told garmin by MOCO, called gamin and they said it aint so. At a dealer in northern colorado they said http://www.harmankardon.com/ but there again who knows.

You remember playing the game as children called hot potato, well i think everyone is passing the buck.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 PM
kc hog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Cowboy!

Back in Mar. when I bought my Limited I was told from the dealer Garmin built it. The Manual said Garmin and so did Harley customer support. I called Garmin and they said Garmin didn't build it. Harman Kardon is the proud owner. If Garmin built it your maps would come from them!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Default Sad

I is pretty sad when the people who built it dont even know what they are selling.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:04 PM
kc hog
Tourer

Cowboy!

To answer your question about Tyre.
I read about Tyre several months ago. After reading your question I decided to downloaded it and created several routes. I uploaded them into the bike and viewed the routes on the GPS. Everything looks good. I did enjoy using tyre more then Ride Planner and Basecamp. I placed a beginning point and drop a ended point several miles away then started added wave points to creating a 150 mile route. I like the program. I'm going to play with it some more and might upgrade to the pro version.

This is a 125 mile route I created using Tyre. It has 23 wave points.
http://public.justcloud.com/dtx9h7fmcy.63142945

I sure hope Harley removes the 9 wave point limitation.

I will have to modify it into 3 routes to work on the 14's GPS.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:36 PM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Default tyre

So far i like it 100 times more than ride planner. At this point as far as i am concerned they can delete ride planner all together, now watch me eat those words. But i am not saying it is a cure all. I really do need to learn base camp but i tyre is more like streets and trips and so much easier to use. Question is: will it work. I have played with different settings on the bike. I have to assume that "fastest" is the setting that we want to use to follow a planned and plotted route????????????????

PS dont forget you can name your waypoints.

@KC what is the difference between waypoint, routing points and routing tracks?

Last edited by COWBOY1296; 07-06-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 PM
kc hog
Tourer

Originally Posted by COWBOY1296
So far i like it 100 times more than ride planner. At this point as far as i am concerned they can delete ride planner all together, now watch me eat those words. But i am not saying it is a cure all. I really do need to learn base camp but i tyre is more like streets and trips and so much easier to use. Question is: will it work. I have played with different settings on the bike. I have to assume that "fastest" is the setting that we want to use to follow a planned and plotted route????????????????

PS dont forget you can name your waypoints.

@KC what is the difference between waypoint, routing points and routing tracks?

For that route I just named the points numbers.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by rcharles
Interesting, I was under the impression that once I had my route laid out in RP that it would keep the route as I had it planned when I transferred it to the bike regardless of what my settings on the bike are set at.
This is what the "expected" behavior should be - but based on my experimentation this is not the case.. :-(

Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Kevinch
Subscribed. And - thanks to ChristoHD for the tireless effort in not only trying to figure this system out, but also to put it down in a way we can understand.
:-) Thanks! Glad I could help.

I will be going over this thread a lot.

Just a note: I have a Zumo 665, which for those who are not familiar is a Garmin motorcycle specific waterproof GPS unit. This one has XM built into it too. I had it mounted to the handlebar on my last bike, & it is now residing in the glove box of my car as a backup in case I get lost - the car does not have factory GPS.

Anyway, it is an expensive unit. For all the expense & sophistication, it still had its quirks. I would plan rides in Basecamp, force the route using waypoints, & it would still sometime act very unpredictably & take me a different route. Very unsettling - especially when you are a Road Captain & leading maybe 15~25 bikes in a unknown city to a destination. I would always get to the correct endpoint, but very often not by how I had planned the route. It happened more than once in the Washington DC area, where I had specifically planned routes taking certain roads & exits. The Garmin took me far out of my way, making a longer trip & also taking more time; we were late to our destination & I pride myself for being on time.

This isn't really a complaint. I can easily remember the days of taping a map onto the gas tank in a zip lock to get where I wanted to go. But - even the best GPS doesn't replace a map IMHO, & at least a general knowledge of the area. I still think today's GPS units are fascinating in what they can do; & in time they'll only get better. The unit on my 2014 Limited is..well, limited in some aspects. I just hope that improvements can be addressed by software updates & HD doesn't decide to go with entirely new units because these are handicapped in application.

Does anyone know who created the software & hardware for HD?
I just did a trip about 2 weeks ago exploring the KY lake area as a ride capt with about 6 other bikes. I had several rides planned for the two days we were down there. I did them in google maps first - just to be sure roads existed etc. I then redid those maps in Basecamp and uploaded them to my Zumo so I could have a backup so-to-speak. I then of course also redid the maps in HD's RP and uploaded them to the HD GPS.

I went over them again, and again, and again before the trip.

So I had my Zumo and my HD GPS the entire trip - For the most part I had success knowing all the "quirks" we have all discovered together. So I only had a couple of issues. The part that saved me - was because of my analness of planning, I got to know the roads, so by the time I got down there to this unknown area, I knew the area! LOL :-)

As Kevinch mentioned - even the Garmin Zumo had some issues as well - none of these GPS' are 100% - but the Garmin had less issues then I experienced with the HD GPS infotainment system.

The one major complaint I did have with the HD GPS was the wait for it to boot up in between stops. And if during the start up process you didn't time it right when you started the motor, I would have an issue with the volume not working, or the iPod not coming on. In another thread on here there is a discussion about when to push the start button on the starter - it seems this system has some quirks on when you interrupt the boot up procedure the system goes through upon startup.

Quick Reply: GPS Map Inporting