Sponsored by:

When to change over to Synthetic on a New SGS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 AM
05dlx
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default When to change over to Synthetic on a New SGS

I realize the subject of synthetic has been discussed at nauseam but I think this question is a little more specific. I did a search but didn't find this specific answer or just missed it in all of the synthetic threads out there.

I will be taking my new SGS in for the 1000 mi service probably in mid summer and was wondering if it would be OK to have them switch over to syn at this time. Wasn't sure if it was too early in the life of the engine or am I smoking dope.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

No waiting period required at all, the CVO bikes come new with Syn3 from the factory.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I change at 1000.

That's just me and YMMV

Old 03-26-2014, 11:29 AM
texaspirate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the sources that know engines (especially the new tight tolerance engines), the oil that is considered breakin oil should remain until the first service at 1000 miles. Then you can run Synthetic Oil from that point on. For cars & trucks, it is after the first 500 miles, but on Harley's it is recommended to wait until you have reached 1000 miles.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:32 AM
05dlx
Cruiser

Perfect guys and thanks for the quick responses.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dlx
I realize the subject of synthetic has been discussed at nauseam but I think this question is a little more specific. I did a search but didn't find this specific answer or just missed it in all of the synthetic threads out there.

I will be taking my new SGS in for the 1000 mi service probably in mid summer and was wondering if it would be OK to have them switch over to syn at this time. Wasn't sure if it was too early in the life of the engine or am I smoking dope.

Look forward to hearing back from you.
You can put Syn3 in at anytime. The CVO's come standard with it. I changed over to Syn3 at my 1000 mile service.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM
05dlx
Cruiser

Perfect guys and thanks for the quick responses.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 AM
texaspirate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a dealer, nor expert in oils, but I do work for and Oil and Gas company. I also worked for companies that produced the base stock for Synthetic Oil called Group IV PAO's (PolyalphaOlefins).

SYN3 is not 100% Synthetic Oil and do not let MOCO tell you otherwise.

According to the "Material Safety Data Sheet" for H-D's SYN3, it is chemically a blend of 60% synthetic and 40% petroleum oils.
Manufactured by - Citgo Petroleum.

It is not illegal but it's certainly deceptive. The Courts have ruled that it is legal to advertise a product that has a chemical composition that includes at least SOME synthetic properties as a "synthetic lubricant".. in the case of SYN3, that oil is a 60/40 blend and not a true, 100% synthetic or anything even close to it.

Pure synthetics are PAO based only such as Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil. Because the motorcycle industry for oils do not rate them like for automobiles, they do not have to disclose the blends in oils. This is where SYN3 gets around this.

I am not advocating anything here other than to pick and chose your oil based on your own research and recommendations. Harley wants you to buy their over priced oil and claim that without it, your engine will fail and warranty will not be honored. BS! All is needed is a good quality oil, change intervals done properly and if failure of a part(s) occurs during warranty that the MOCO must honor it.

The reason a CVO can claim they use SYN3 from the start is that it is a SYN/BLEND. No engine manufacturer both automotive nor motorcycle recommends breaking in a engine on Pure Synthetic Oil.

But it is your choice!

Last edited by texaspirate; 03-26-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:08 PM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
No waiting period required at all, the CVO bikes come new with Syn3 from the factory.

X2 Used Syn3 on my 1K oil change on my RGU.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:47 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by texaspirate
I am not a dealer, nor expert in oils, but I do work for and Oil and Gas company. I also worked for companies that produced the base stock for Synthetic Oil called Group IV PAO's (PolyalphaOlefins).

SYN3 is not 100% Synthetic Oil and do not let MOCO tell you otherwise.

According to the "Material Safety Data Sheet" for H-D's SYN3, it is chemically a blend of 60% synthetic and 40% petroleum oils.
Manufactured by - Citgo Petroleum.

It is not illegal but it's certainly deceptive. The Courts have ruled that it is legal to advertise a product that has a chemical composition that includes at least SOME synthetic properties as a "synthetic lubricant".. in the case of SYN3, that oil is a 60/40 blend and not a true, 100% synthetic or anything even close to it.

Pure synthetics are PAO based only such as Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil. Because the motorcycle industry for oils do not rate them like for automobiles, they do not have to disclose the blends in oils. This is where SYN3 gets around this.

I am not advocating anything here other than to pick and chose your oil based on your own research and recommendations. Harley wants you to buy their over priced oil and claim that without it, your engine will fail and warranty will not be honored. BS! All is needed is a good quality oil, change intervals done properly and if failure of a part(s) occurs during warranty that the MOCO must honor it.

The reason a CVO can claim they use SYN3 from the start is that it is a SYN/BLEND. No engine manufacturer both automotive nor motorcycle recommends breaking in a engine on Pure Synthetic Oil.

But it is your choice!
Thanks for this great info...my indy shop always asked me if I wanted to use Amsoil or HD in the changes, I always used the HD oil, will think twice and talk to the mechanic next time!

Quick Reply: When to change over to Synthetic on a New SGS