Sponsored by:

Accessory Switch On Ultras and Limiteds

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Accessory Switch On Ultras and Limiteds

Harley eliminated the accessory switch on the dash panel that the previous years always had on our 2014 models. It used to be on the right side of the dash. The only functioning switch now is the passing lamp switch on the far left panel. Has anyone on this forum bought an additional switch and mounted it in place of the dummies on the left side of the panel?? The right side switch block is just a hole filler. Harley does sell an momentary switch and a passing lamp switch for these. Just wondered if anyone here actually put a switch plunger in that left module and made it functional.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:26 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

It's my guess that Harley will offer accessories that utilize those spots. One example would be power locks. They will offer accessories that keep us Rushmore owners coming back for upgrades. Time will tell.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

GunnySgt,

I have and there are several things that can be done with them.
Read the following and hope this answers some questions...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ut-outs-2.html Post # 19

Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Harley eliminated the accessory switch on the dash panel that the previous years always had on our 2014 models. It used to be on the right side of the dash. The only functioning switch now is the passing lamp switch on the far left panel. Has anyone on this forum bought an additional switch and mounted it in place of the dummies on the left side of the panel?? The right side switch block is just a hole filler. Harley does sell an momentary switch and a passing lamp switch for these. Just wondered if anyone here actually put a switch plunger in that left module and made it functional.
I have done what you are asking it does work. Read my post below.

"On the left side you already have 2 extra switches in a sealed switch pak. You have 2 choices. A detente button or a momentary button like the CVO uses for the electric locks. Those are the only two available now. They are about $15.00 each. The wire harness comes out under the left side cover. Pull the switch Pak out release the lock tab remove the blank, insert new button assembly. All there is to it. Only draw back is they have 2 amp max rating so if you run anything that needs more current you need to use a relay."

Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

Very interesting. So you are saying the switch module (harley's service manual term) is wired to the accessory connector under the left cover? I already have the pigtail 8 pin to 4 pin conversion mounted to run my saddlebag lights. What I want to do is mount an auxilary set of caliper mounted lights like the Custom Dynamic Billet LED driving lights. I ordered another switch 7140034 today, hope I can mount it upside down in the module to distinguish it from the passing lamp switch. Now I have to figure out how to wire the CD driving lights into that switch. I can remove one of the dummies and install the new switch, it's the remaining wiring I need to figure out. I'll check on the current draw on the LEDs as well.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Very interesting. So you are saying the switch module (harley's service manual term) is wired to the accessory connector under the left cover? I already have the pigtail 8 pin to 4 pin conversion mounted to run my saddlebag lights. What I want to do is mount an auxilary set of caliper mounted lights like the Custom Dynamic Billet LED driving lights. I ordered another switch 7140034 today, hope I can mount it upside down in the module to distinguish it from the passing lamp switch. Now I have to figure out how to wire the CD driving lights into that switch. I can remove one of the dummies and install the new switch, it's the remaining wiring I need to figure out. I'll check on the current draw on the LEDs as well.
It is not a switch you need. The two extra switches on the left side are already there. You need the button assembly. P/N 71400044. It installs into the switch that is already there. It will not go in but one way also.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:38 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

Ok, I'll check on that part number again. My 2014 Touring Parts manual is due here today. I have some decent wiring knowledge thanks to Uncle Sam. I'll need to find out what wiring is needed to connect the driving lights to that switch. I have no idea if the switch that is already there has empty spades to connect to or what.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I looked on cd web site just says low amp draw but does not give spec being they are led they should be below the 2amp max but I would verify that with them (you may need to add an external relay) other than that pretty straight forward

Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

I just called Custom Dynamics tech line. The site said 'low current draw" but no figures. According to them, the lights only draw .75 amp. I figure that's per unit so it would only be 1.5 amps total. That's within specs to not need the relay. Halogen draw a lot more. Still would like to run them off a switch so I'll figure out wiring them to the new additional switch when it arrives.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

Gunny, sent you a PM to call me.. I will help you out

Quick Reply: Accessory Switch On Ultras and Limiteds