Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Your Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014 | 02:55 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior

Some more tidbits of info:

The three Japanese marques were the most-stolen brands in the top locations last year, according to a new study from the National Insurance Crime Bureau, which reported that overall thefts of two-wheelers dropped slightly from 2011.

Honda led the league, representing 20% of all motorcycles stolen, with Yamaha (16%), Suzuki (15%), Kawasaki (11%) and Harley Davidson (8%) trailing in the brand name comparisons.

But by model, the most stolen bike of all was a 2007 Suzuki.

It might seem odd that Harley Davidson, which is responsible for more than 50% of the motorcycles sold in America every year, should be represented by such a small percentage of motorcycles stolen.

An NICB spokesman offered an unscientific, unofficial explanation: Harleys are expensive, and owners of high-end motorcycles generally keep them parked in locked garages, where they are harder to steal, said Frank G. Scafidi, the bureau's director of public affairs.

That might explain why other high-end brands like BMW and Ducati don't appear on the most-stolen list.

Sadly, the NICB reports that the recovery rate for stolen motorcycles was only 39% -- well below the average 54% recovery rate for motor vehicles overall.

Old 03-27-2014 | 03:05 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Lightbulb

So after reading a lot of articles and some blogs, and based on my own experiences - be a tad paranoid but be responsible. Most bikes that are stolen were stolen because they were easy to!

Yes there is the professional who has no shame - but the majority of thefts are because the bike was left in the open, unlocked, in a dark corner, etc.

In my travels I have been amazed at how other folks look out for and after your bike. We tend to park under lights, or the canopy at a hotel, or in a group together that is close to the entrance door of a hotel. Next morning as we repack people come up and ask where are we from or going, comment on the bike and then let us know they kept an eye on it for us.

Be smart, use common sense, you should be ok.

Old 03-27-2014 | 03:31 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HKMark23
"RoadLok" . Very convenient ! ht tp://www.roadlok.com/
Originally Posted by rs87277
very cool but pricey
True. Its also carrying a pin on your keychain vs a chain and padlock somewhere on the bike. It comes down to what that convenience is worth to you. These are probably most beneficial for cruisers with limited gear carrying capacity.

Old 03-28-2014 | 12:12 PM
texaspirate
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Custardglide
Am I missing something here??? Are you guys telling me your bikes dont come with a siren as standard??? Wow I know different markets have different specifications, but seriously $28000 of bike WITHOUT a alarm siren seems a bit wrong to me. Here in UK sirens have been fitted as standard since 2002!! Even sportsters have them.
Just so you know in the US HD stands for (hundred dollars). So everything you need for a HD requires at least $100 USD to improve or protect your scoot. Sirens are not standard. You must put that on as a extra item if you want it. IMO it is worth it to some, but to others it is ignored even when it goes off.

Old 03-28-2014 | 12:48 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master

I haven't read through this entire thread, but another reason Harleys aren't stolen as often is because of their size. I could be wrong, but I believe the Electra Glide and all it's variations are the most popular bikes Harley sells. The bike weighs close to 900 lbs. making it very difficult to sneak off with.

Smaller bikes can be picked up by 2-4 guys and thrown into the back of a van (also usually stolen) and nobody even knows it's in there. Not too easy to get a full size bagger into a van or the back of a pickup.

I always lock my bike. I haven't been the greatest over the years of locking the front end of my Goldwing, but I always figured someone would steal the Harley's parked next to me first :-) Since my CVO automatically locks the forks with the bags (as long as I turn the ****), I plan to lock it every time.

Old 03-28-2014 | 05:57 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
I haven't read through this entire thread, but another reason Harleys aren't stolen as often is because of their size. I could be wrong, but I believe the Electra Glide and all it's variations are the most popular bikes Harley sells. The bike weighs close to 900 lbs. making it very difficult to sneak off with.

Smaller bikes can be picked up by 2-4 guys and thrown into the back of a van (also usually stolen) and nobody even knows it's in there. Not too easy to get a full size bagger into a van or the back of a pickup.

I always lock my bike. I haven't been the greatest over the years of locking the front end of my Goldwing, but I always figured someone would steal the Harley's parked next to me first :-) Since my CVO automatically locks the forks with the bags (as long as I turn the ****), I plan to lock it every time.
Great point ! Numbers masquerading as a "statistic" (ie thefts vs brand) often overlook such salient information. Size matters.