Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Your Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014 | 05:28 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Like many other members recommended, secure/lock the best you can, make sure insurance is paid-up, and adding the siren option. Park close to room, or under lighting...slip hotel desk clerk a few bills to watch bike. Also, removing hard bags and taking inside isn't a bad idea (high theft items as well). Thieves will be thieves and if they want your stuff bad enough...unfortunately they'll get it.

If all else fails, get a Honda cover...

Old 03-27-2014 | 05:45 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member

Honda is the number one stolen bike because of volume also, they sell way more hondas than harleys

Old 03-27-2014 | 06:53 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by klink58
I plan on traveling half way across Canada this summer.I've got a big investment here and wondered what is the best device out there to add extra security to my bike other than factory security system.

Really you will not need anything extra just be sure to lock the bike up when you stop. Any extra you do is not worth it as if I want your bike and you are in your room sleeping I will get it. Over 30 years riding long trips in Canada and the US and never had a problem. Just enjoy your trip.

Old 03-27-2014 | 07:04 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

"RoadLok" . Very convenient ! ht tp://www.roadlok.com/

Old 03-27-2014 | 07:44 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by dhermann43
About the big chain idea... My thoughts are you need to put it through the rear rim and frame or rear rim to rear rim on your buddies bike. Using the chain on the front rim and forks is useless you can just pick up the front end. I also have the siren and audio warning is always good.
Exactly how I do it, if solo through the rear rim and around the frame (prevents the bad guy from rolling it away) or if with a buddy through both rear rims, we usually can get them close enough to chain both bikes, prevents the bad guy(s) from lifting it. Only if needed though, most times we look for motels with parking outside the room, never had any problems.

Old 03-27-2014 | 08:14 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

1-A generic motorcycle cover stuffs into a small space about the size of a coffee can and are available in stores or online for under $30 (walmart USA). Make sure to use the elastic cord at bottom. Cord slows the individual down that wishes to peak and also keeps it tight during winds. Cover keeps people from sitting/touching and also increases bulk (easier for people to see when reversing) IF you purchase a color other than black. Keeps bike cleaner and drier too.
2-Ignition & fork lock are standard. Both can be broken easily.
3-A disc lock with REMINDER cord. Reminder cord helps you not to forget & also serves as a visual deterrent for a non professional thief. Can be cut off but requires a minute or two.
4-If there is greater concern then a cable lock through wheel frame. To slow down a non professional thief. Again this can be defeated in a minute or two.
5-Ignition deterrent..A starter kill, kill switch etc. not difficult to install..makes a ride-off more difficult.

Your saddle bags need bolts not the easy removal hand twist and turn factory set-up.
Saddle bags are expensive and $10 at an ace hardware or similar for J nuts and bolts adds some protection.
Your passenger backrest should have a detachable(s) lock.

Old 03-27-2014 | 08:51 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HKMark23
"RoadLok" . Very convenient ! ht tp://www.roadlok.com/

very cool but pricey

Old 03-27-2014 | 10:37 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rs87277
very cool but pricey

Old 03-27-2014 | 11:01 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

About putting the Bike in your room I tried it once, but the management told not to put
the Bike in the elevator.

Old 03-27-2014 | 02:50 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by djkolp
5 most-stolen motorcycles

1. Honda
2. Yamaha
3. Suzuki
4. Kawasaki
5. Harley-Davidson

5 states with the most motorcycle thefts

1. California
2. Texas
3. Florida
4. North Carolina
5. Indiana
More info from this same website:

Preventing motorcycle theft
The stolen-motorcycle recovery rate is quite low: only 25–30 percent, compared with 60–65 percent for cars. So nipping theft in the bud is all the more crucial.
Here are some methods to try:
  • Lock your ignition (the majority of thefts happen when the ignition is turned off but not locked)
  • Lock your motorcycle to a stationary, immovable object
  • Lock the forks and disc brakes
  • Install a motorcycle alarm
  • If group riding, park bikes together
  • If garage parking, hide your bike behind a car or large object
  • Check on your motorcycle periodically
  • Make sure locks are wrapped as tight as possible; slack provides room for thieves to chisel away
  • Install a hidden "kill" switch
  • If selling your motorcycle, don't let unknown buyers go for solo test rides (they may not come back)

Quick Reply: Locking Your Bike