Sponsored by:

Got Hit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014 | 06:56 PM
TnMoon
|
Advanced
Default Got Hit

I was out traveling to visit family this weekend and on Friday I was stopped at a light and hear brakes locked up then the impact. A Tahoe hit me from behind and shoved me into the car in front of me. I was thrown clear of the bike and landed on the pavement a few feet away. Luckily, I only ended up with a cut on my nose (which is weird because I was wearing a full face helmet) and bumps and bruises on my hands arms and legs. I went to the emergency room anyway for some xrays and minor treatment. I feel lucky and blessed as it could have been much worse.

The new bike didn't fare quite as good. From what I could tell there was damage to the rear fender, tail light, tour pak and mount, scrapes on saddle bag, front fender, turn signal fog lamp assembly and one of the floorboards. I suspect there might be damage to the forks too. I don't know about you guys but I'm not sure I want the bike repaired. I mean, when you pay 27K for a bike and have 1800 miles on it you don't want something that's been patched up. My fear is that the ins wont total the bike.

I'm interested in some feedback. Would you want it repaired if it was yours? More importantly would you try and work directly with the insurance company of the guy that hit you or would you just turn it over to your own ins company? I started with his ins but am leaning heavily to calling my own ins as I likely have better coverage.

Also, I'm out of state and will have to rent a car tomorrow to get home leaving the bike at the tow lot.

Old 03-23-2014 | 07:08 PM
BigRedRK
Advanced

Glad you are ok. I would seriously consider contacting an attorney. Even if it were for just a consult.

Old 03-23-2014 | 07:08 PM
DGRF250
Cruiser

In Louisiana i always let my insurance deal with the other insurance. Sorry to hear about the accident glad you only have bumps and bruises. Could have been a lot worse.

Old 03-23-2014 | 07:25 PM
SoZoomMe
Road Captain

Glad you were able to escape without serious injury! I would let my insurance deal with his insurance, and would also consider consulting with an attorney. It would be worth the money for a simple consultation.

Old 03-23-2014 | 07:33 PM
mikeman54
Supporter

Glad to hear you suffered only minor injuries,Not sure about Georgia law,but in Michigan its a no fault state in which your insurance will cover your loss then go after the other parties ins.As far as the bike goes I have seen bikes with similar damage and get totaled,If i were you I would insist on a NEW BIKE unconditionally.If you have a good reliable ins co it should be no problem.Hope its not Progressive. Also if possible take plenty of pictures of the bike before you leave that state or you may have more issues if they want to fix it(missing parts). Document everything thoroughly.

Last edited by mikeman54; 03-23-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2014 | 07:38 PM
deano360
Road Warrior

get a lawyer and get a new bike, that should be the end result as well as the medical bills and car rental....

Old 03-23-2014 | 07:52 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Like others have mentioned, I am glad you are OK. What state do you live in - because as others mentioned, insurance does vary.

Also, make sure you are really not hurt -sometimes the paid comes after things settle down.

Mikeman54 - I too am in Michigan and with bikes, we are screwed a little. While your insurance will cover you, they will not cover your deductible - even if it is not your fault. This is unlike cars. I have been fighting with my insurance company to help us get this rule/law changed. f a car hits a car, the car at fault pay the deductible. Also, in Michigan, you can not have a 0 ded - so, we loose.

Old 03-23-2014 | 08:02 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Usually on a rear impact to front impact, the frame will be bent on the backbone just to the rear of the fuel tank, or in the triple tree area. I don't know how hard it was hit, but it does not take much to bend 'em. If you repair it, it will likely be tied up for 2-3 months. May want to consider getting an estimate and trading it if you have to. This would be best at a dealer that can fix your traded bike.

Old 03-23-2014 | 08:03 PM
DBLXX
Road Master

I was rear ended in 1999. Bumps, bruises and a bike with a tweaked frame....nothing else.

Allstate bought me a factory fresh bike and $50,000 cash to sign a waiver that said I wouldn't sue them in 10 years when I grow a 3rd arm out of my ***.

New bike.

Old 03-23-2014 | 08:57 PM
Miller5463
Intermediate

Glad to hear your okay. Sucks about the bike. My cousin was hit on his new Road Glide a few years ago. He had only had it for a couple of months. Both my cousin and the bike were banged up badly. (Lots of recovery for him but for the most part he is okay) Not sure what the damage estimate was but I was shocked that it wasn't totaled. The insurance company paid to get it repaired. Basically the bike was completely rebuilt. My bet is they will want to repair it. If it is done by a dealer with OEM parts...it should look as good as new.

Quick Reply: Got Hit