Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Hit

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014 | 02:54 PM
mikeman54
Supporter

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Like others have mentioned, I am glad you are OK. What state do you live in - because as others mentioned, insurance does vary.

Also, make sure you are really not hurt -sometimes the paid comes after things settle down.

Mikeman54 - I too am in Michigan and with bikes, we are screwed a little. While your insurance will cover you, they will not cover your deductible - even if it is not your fault. This is unlike cars. I have been fighting with my insurance company to help us get this rule/law changed. f a car hits a car, the car at fault pay the deductible. Also, in Michigan, you can not have a 0 ded - so, we loose.
I totally know where your coming from,there's a bill in the house as we speak that if passes will screw us more.I have increased my uninsured motorists and medical up to $250,000 per person.Raised my rate but with the ins industry in Michigan you can never have enough,just pray we never have to use it. Being a ABATE member totally up to speed on whats happening and not liking it.Not trying to jump OP thread.

Old 03-25-2014 | 11:42 AM
texaspirate
Road Captain

Sorry to hear this happened to you! I for one living in the Houston area have always been uneasy with the cager's around here! I am glad you are alright and did not sustain any more serious injuries.

As for your situation? A couple years ago, I was rear ended by my own friend on his Harley Ultra Limited into my Ultra Classic. He was having oil issues with the engine in the high mountains in Colorado. Ended up being a scavaging issue to the throttle body inlet After stopping to investigate, we were getting back on the road back to Houston and as I accelerated up the ramp, I slowed down to wait for him. Well, he was looking down and behind as he was coming up the ramp and bang, we both went down (about 20+ mph). Needless to say we both sustained pretty bad injuries and serious bike damage. Both of us at the time had Progressive Insurance. His covered mine completely and bike was "repaired" and not totaled. As far as I am concerned my dealership did a super job. My buddy, was told they would not total it? It was a 2012 and did not have many miles on it. Ended up replacing the frame on it as well as all the other damages. Bike was sound after the repairs, but he was a bit put off on it, and ended up trading it in for a 2013 Road Glide Ultra.

So unless you press it hard, depending on the other person's insurance, you may end up with a "repaired" bike without much choice. Just make sure you take it to a Genuine Harley Dealer who specializes in repairs. I found out that if the cost of repair (Progressive) exceeds 70% they will total it. That is Progressives policy and not other insurances. Now that I have another insurance that number dropped to 50% before it is claimed as totaled. At the time my total repairs came to $7900.00 and his came to $10,200.00 and still repaired versus totaling it.

For me the insurance was a motorcycle insurance to cover me. But since you are dealing with a cager, you must be even more careful. May be best to have a attorney for this IMO.

Last edited by texaspirate; 03-25-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-30-2014 | 03:29 PM
upmaniac
Novice

Same thing happened to me on the 21st of this month with my CVO Ultra Limited that was 20 hours old and had 72 miles on it. I had paid for replacement bike coverage, so there was no issue with the repair - they totaled it and I just secured a second CVO Limited in the same color. It only took 5 business days from the date of the accident until the payoff, and repurchase. I was also lucky as both dealers used the same bank for financing, so the process was transparent and issue free. Bottom-line: push for the replacement.

Unfortunately for me and my wife, our injuries will keep us from riding for awhile. She has a broken left ankle and I have a broken right ankle. Considering we were sitting still and hit at 50 MPH, we are lucky to be alive.

Attached Thumbnails Got Hit-img_1797cvo.jpg   Got Hit-img_1801cvo.jpg   Got Hit-pauls-camera-571cvo.jpg   Got Hit-img_1796cvo.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014 | 03:48 PM
harleyjth
Tourer

Originally Posted by upmaniac
Same thing happened to me on the 21st of this month with my CVO Ultra Limited that was 20 hours old and had 72 miles on it. I had paid for replacement bike coverage, so there was no issue with the repair - they totaled it and I just secured a second CVO Limited in the same color. It only took 5 business days from the date of the accident until the payoff, and repurchase. I was also lucky as both dealers used the same bank for financing, so the process was transparent and issue free. Bottom-line: push for the replacement.

Unfortunately for me and my wife, our injuries will keep us from riding for awhile. She has a broken left ankle and I have a broken right ankle. Considering we were sitting still and hit at 50 MPH, we are lucky to be alive.
Who is your insurance with?
jt

Old 03-30-2014 | 03:53 PM
JKinFLA
Cruiser

Glad to hear you're OK

Old 03-30-2014 | 04:04 PM
flicksport1200
Cruiser

definitely get a lawyer , his ins. co will try and screw you , and in pa ur ins. co has to pay for everything and you got to go after his ins. co. for reimbursement and whatever, im still in a middle of a lawsuit for when i was ran over last year on my sporty, i have progressive ins. and they were great, they totaled out the bike and i had a check within two wks of the accident anyway good luck and glad it wasnt any worse

Old 03-30-2014 | 05:33 PM
harleyjth
Tourer

Originally Posted by mikeman54
Glad to hear you suffered only minor injuries,Not sure about Georgia law,but in Michigan its a no fault state in which your insurance will cover your loss then go after the other parties ins.As far as the bike goes I have seen bikes with similar damage and get totaled,If i were you I would insist on a NEW BIKE unconditionally.If you have a good reliable ins co it should be no problem.Hope its not Progressive. Also if possible take plenty of pictures of the bike before you leave that state or you may have more issues if they want to fix it(missing parts). Document everything thoroughly.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Progressive. You've obviously had a problem with them.
jt

Last edited by harleyjth; 03-30-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2014 | 08:51 PM
mikeman54
Supporter

Originally Posted by harleyjth
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Progressive. You've obviously had a problem with them.
jt
Had them for a few years and there prices were expensive.We've had AAA for 27 yrs on autos and they didn't ins bikes in Michigan until a few years ago,also only a few makes and models of bikes they will ins (harley's being one of them).Rate was almost cut in half with 250,000 uninsured and 250,000 under insured.Nothing personal on Progressive just saving MY MONEY.Also could never afford that extra coverage with Progressive.

Old 03-30-2014 | 10:34 PM
Shayba
Cruiser

As with the rest....sorry to hear about the accident, but happy as hell you're around to tell about it. I was involved with a hit and run not too long ago and was sent tumbling down the freeway at 60 mph. Worst injury was a broken rib and a little road rash. The 2012 Road King was totaled and covered under my uninsured motorist by Progressive. I have replacement insurance so it paid me enough to pick up my Ultra Classic. Progressive did right by me.

Old 03-31-2014 | 12:24 PM
upmaniac
Novice

I have Esuarance and they have been incredible. He had Progressive and they are trying to decline payment as while they admit the car was covered, they said he was an excluded driver. Again, we are thankful we were not hurt any worse and how fortunate we were to have Esurance. I had $50,000 uninsured motorist ($100,000 total), $6,000 in accessory coverage and new bike replacement - at least we are whole while we begin the battle with Progressive.....

Quick Reply: Got Hit