Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Hit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014 | 09:05 PM
TnMoon
|
Advanced

This is some great feedback. My coverage is with Foremost and it includes replacement coverage vs depreciated value if the bike is totaled. I took pics an the scene but will take more tomorrow to make sure I have shots of all the add on's. I went ahead and started a claim with them and should talk to someone tomorrow about my coverage. I live in GA but the accident took place in AL.

Old 03-23-2014 | 09:26 PM
BigRedRK
Advanced

Don't forget to make them pay for a new helmet.....

Old 03-23-2014 | 09:51 PM
Rocinante
Cruiser

Wow. Glad you are all right. You did the right thing by getting your insurer involved. Best to let them work it out with the other party's insurer. And the other insurer may try the waiver gambit, too, so be alert for that. Finally, the weirdest thing I ever had happen with a rear-ender to my own auto was the call from my insurer that said the claim would be settled as soon as the other insurer determined what share of responsibility I bore. Huh? I asked how anyone stopped at a red light could have contributed to a rear-end collision and sent a photo of the damage to my car. That settled it, but I would have been better off to have got a police report (one was not required, according to the officer). Good luck with it all.

Ride safe.

Old 03-23-2014 | 09:53 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser

I would absolutely contact my insurance company and probably consult an attorney. The situations where you get hit from behind and then end up hitting another vehicle can get complicated very quickly and you want to make sure you're protected, especially since you're from another state and it may take time to sort.
I would want a new bike out of it. No doubt yours could be repaired and you could look at it as a 'customizing opportunity' but given yours is near new I would want a new replacement.
If they give you crap remind them they're lucky this isn't being handled by an estate attorney or a personal injury attorney.

Old 03-23-2014 | 09:54 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior

sorry about the accident -- glad to hear your ok
i would let insurance handle all of it . dont get stressed over it ..

Old 03-23-2014 | 10:03 PM
parabians
Intermediate

Wow, that is tough; so sorry about the bike, but glad you're ok. For me yes, I would insist on a new bike. They could probably throw enough parts and paint at it to make it look all right but I would always know it's not like it was, and wonder what they didn't catch.

Old 03-23-2014 | 10:14 PM
pswomack
Road Master

Glad YOU are ok first and formost, sorry about your bike though. If it were me, I'd insist on a new bike, chances are there is frame damage if it was sandwiched in between two vehicles, that Tahoe is a fairly heavy slimmed down Suburban!

Let your insurance company handle it, if you don't like the results contact an Attorney. Best of luck to you, hope things get resolved very soon.

Old 03-23-2014 | 11:08 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser

I had Foremost when I crashed my FXD in 2002. I found them very easy to work with, replaced gear no questions asked, were very expedient about getting the bike repaired. Iwas shocked that they didn't raise my rates or cancel me as it happened only weeks after I signed up with them and was 100% my fault.
Your situation is more complicated, hope you get well taken care of.

Old 03-24-2014 | 06:09 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member

glad you are ok, thats the most important thing, contact a lawyer, its for your own best interest. that SUV should have never hit you in the first place, prob on the phone or texting.

Old 03-24-2014 | 06:34 AM
TnMoon
|
Advanced

rs87277 glad you are ok, thats the most important thing, contact a lawyer, its for your own best interest. that SUV should have never hit you in the first place, prob on the phone or texting.
Apparently this is a bad intersection. There had just been another rear ender a few minutes before and the cars were in a parking lot off to the side with the cops. The guy was probably rubber necking at the cops and not watching me. Needless to say, the cops were johnny on the spot.

Oh, and I landed in a pile of glass from the other accident. Thankful for full leathers and a full face helmet. I usually wear a half helmet but for some reason today I wore the full face. I think a new replacement full face will be my go to from now on. It saved me a lot of facial damage.

Quick Reply: Got Hit