2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmet with a FLHXS windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:33 PM
boosting1bar
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a Schuberth C3 Pro when I wear a full face helmet and it's by far the best helmet I've ever had. The price hurts your wallet at first, but after wearing it a bit you quickly realize you get what you paid for. I find I wear one of my 3/4 helmets more often than not, but if I'm going to do any considerable distance or it's windy I always grab the C3. Well worth the money.

I did get some buffeting with the stock windshield on my SGS, switched to an LRS 7" with the recurve (forget the specific model) and all the wind whips right over my head. I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam

Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 PM
9one1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boosting1bar
I wear a Schuberth C3 Pro when I wear a full face helmet and it's by far the best helmet I've ever had. The price hurts your wallet at first, but after wearing it a bit you quickly realize you get what you paid for. I find I wear one of my 3/4 helmets more often than not, but if I'm going to do any considerable distance or it's windy I always grab the C3. Well worth the money.

I did get some buffeting with the stock windshield on my SGS, switched to an LRS 7" with the recurve (forget the specific model) and all the wind whips right over my head. I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam

I demo'd the Schuberth C3 last fall at a BMW dealer when I had my Copglide withe the 10in Harley wind splitter and it was still noisy. I know the Peo is supposed to be more quiet then the C3 and is undoubtably one of the best modulars on the market.

I'm 6'0 with a 32" inseam and it looks like the stock street glide windshield hits me mid neck. Another 4 inches or should bring it to the bottom of my nose. That looks like a 8" with a recurve would work. I'm just trying to balance looks vs comfort.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 AM
streetglide clyde
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a HJC RPS10 w/a 9" LRS recurve.......love it!!!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:16 AM
9one1
Tourer

Originally Posted by streetglide clyde
Use a HJC RPS10 w/a 9" LRS recurve.......love it!!!
Thanks man!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 AM
RLMAYHEM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride with my full face when its under 30 deg. Its a scorpion exo helmet. ive noticed little to no buffeting when riding and my windshield is stock. even up to the 90 mph mark when i was passing a line of cars. im 5 10. now i have noticed all kinds of strange airflow when it is windy but to me that is expected.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:35 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts
Thumbs up

Same problem for me. I installed fork mounted wind deflectors and kept stock SGS windshiled and problem solved. Virtually no buffeting. The other day was out and felt a little buffeting at 75mph, and realized that I had the fairing vent closed.
I am 5'9" with a 31" inseam. Since I surprisingly felt some buffeting, I started feeling around the top of my helmet with my fingers. The wind hits about 2" below the top of my helmet and felt rough. Then I opened the fairing vent, and the wind still hits in the same place but the air was extremely smooth. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by oakmossy; 03-21-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:41 PM
9one1
Tourer

Originally Posted by oakmossy
Same problem for me. I installed fork mounted wind deflectors and kept stock SGS windshiled and problem solved. Virtually no buffeting. The other day was out and felt a little buffeting at 75mph, and realized that I had the fairing vent closed.
I am 5'9" with a 31" inseam. Since I surprisingly felt some buffeting, I started feeling around the top of my helmet with my fingers. The wind hits about 2" below the top of my helmet and felt rough. Then I opened the fairing vent, and the wind still hits in the same place but the air was extremely smooth. Hope this helps you.
I actually rode 40 miles to a Harley Dealership today and bought a set of those. I will install them tomorrow as I ran out of time today before work.

I did notice today which was my longest ride on the bike so far (turned 200 miles as I pulled into the garage) that there is a lot of air coming from below. The wind coming over top of the windshield is smooth and hits me about forehead level. Riding there the wind was at my back so it was fine but coming home I could barely hear the radio at 7/10 volume about 65mph do to the wind noise and my helmet was buffeting enough that I was getting some head shake.

Fingers crossed that the lowers do the trick. If not I'll try a 8" Freedom Shield or something comparable.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Full face helmets just plain suck! Had the same problems years ago. Put a functional windshield on it and get just a half helmet and all will be good.
I have a Skidoo modular snowmobile helmet in black xxl no mouth piece if anyone is looking for one.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:29 PM
9one1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Just Me
Full face helmets just plain suck! Had the same problems years ago. Put a functional windshield on it and get just a half helmet and all will be good.
I have a Skidoo modular snowmobile helmet in black xxl no mouth piece if anyone is looking for one.
I hear ya with the 1/2 helmet, I have one and and used it with my last bike. But during a long trip riding 12 hours in the rain I told myself no more and was going to get a new full face. I live in the Northeast otherwise known as the new Arctic Circle and have to ride in the 30's just to get some miles in and that is when the full face is a must have for me anyway.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a 1/2 helmet [Gmax] with a sunshield that is tucks up inside the helmet. You cant believe how much help that thing is in the rain! Cold weather, a balavaca like you wear snowmobiling works awesome in the cold. If you must ride in below freezing weather then I suggest you dress LIKE you were going snowmobiling.

Quick Reply: Full face helmet with a FLHXS windshield?