Sponsored by:

Questions for previous owners of the GL1800

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Ridingon2
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Questions for previous owners of the GL1800

I think I have done a decent job of researching the new Limited and it's issues. I have a test ride under my belt and really liked the riding position of the Limited and that Harley has listened to those that ride them and made the recommended changes. One of my main concerns has to do with the performance and handling of the Wing vs. Limited. Does the Limited meet your needs in this area? Solo and two up? What about the engine heat? My test ride was every bit of 10 miles on pretty straight roads so no chance to throw it into the curves, and not long enough to notice any heat issues. Your real world impressions of the Limited coming from a 1800 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The only bike I have owned that handled better than a 2014 Limited was my 2012 BMW GTL.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridingon2
I think I have done a decent job of researching the new Limited and it's issues. I have a test ride under my belt and really liked the riding position of the Limited and that Harley has listened to those that ride them and made the recommended changes. One of my main concerns has to do with the performance and handling of the Wing vs. Limited. Does the Limited meet your needs in this area? Solo and two up? What about the engine heat? My test ride was every bit of 10 miles on pretty straight roads so no chance to throw it into the curves, and not long enough to notice any heat issues. Your real world impressions of the Limited coming from a 1800 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I went from a 2008 GL1800 to a 12 Limited. The wing had considerably more power. It also handled better at speed than the 12 Limited. When I first got the 12 Limited it scared me in corners. The wing cornered like it was on rails. The Limited had a wobble to it that made me never feel confident enough to push it fast around corners. My wife hated it. She would drape her legs across the outside of the saddle bags to get them away from the heat on long trips at 70 mph on 90+ days. Her lower back would also start hurting after a couple of hours on the Limited. I ended up taking the lower fairings off, removed the cat from the head pipe and added fans to cool the motor to try and reduce the heat. That helped but it was still hot. I replaced the stock passenger backrest with a Mustang and that solved my wifes lower back issues. I will say the riding possition was more comfortable for me on the Limited and it was a funner bike to ride. The Wing was a boring bike. My wife wanted me to sell the Limited and go back to a Wing. When I got the email about the 14 Rushmore bikes and let my wife read it she said we could give it a try. We took 14 Limited on a 15 mile test ride at the Kansas City Harley plant Open house last September. It was 99 that day. My wife said she had some warmth on her legs but not hot like the 12 Limited. She also said the new seat and backrest were actually more comfortable then what the wing had. I noticed right away the 14 had more power then my 12 with the stage 1 mods but still not what the wing had. It also felt much more stable in corners then the 12. My wife and I were both sold on the 14. She told me I could buy it instead of going back to the wing. I bought my 14 Limited October 5th and put 1600 miles on it before the snow and cold hit. It definitely handles better than the 12 did. It's handling is very close to what I remember the Wing being at speed. But it and my 12 Limited both handled better then the Wing at low speeds like around parking lots. My wife can ride all day on the 14 with no complaints about the comfort. If I had it to do over again I would have stayed with the Wing over the 12 Limited. But I would choose the 14 Limited over the Wing. The main advantage to the wing over the 14 Limited is the power. The wing was rated at 118HP and 125ft Torq. Harley doesn't release HP numbers but I have seen some dyno #'s posted and the 14 limited is around 80Hp and 100ft torq. But the 14 Limited is a much funner, more comfortable and I feel is a better looking bike. You can PM me or reply to this post if you have any other questions.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 AM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Owned a Wing for the past 7 years. A 2007 and a 2010.

Simple answer....you are comparing a BMW M3 to a Chevy Camaro SS.

2 totally different bikes in EVERY way.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:28 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
I went from a 2008 GL1800 to a 12 Limited. The wing had considerably more power. It also handled better at speed than the 12 Limited. When I first got the 12 Limited it scared me in corners. The wing cornered like it was on rails. The Limited had a wobble to it that made me never feel confident enough to push it fast around corners. My wife hated it. She would drape her legs across the outside of the saddle bags to get them away from the heat on long trips at 70 mph on 90+ days. Her lower back would also start hurting after a couple of hours on the Limited. I ended up taking the lower fairings off, removed the cat from the head pipe and added fans to cool the motor to try and reduce the heat. That helped but it was still hot. I replaced the stock passenger backrest with a Mustang and that solved my wifes lower back issues. I will say the riding possition was more comfortable for me on the Limited and it was a funner bike to ride. The Wing was a boring bike. My wife wanted me to sell the Limited and go back to a Wing. When I got the email about the 14 Rushmore bikes and let my wife read it she said we could give it a try. We took 14 Limited on a 15 mile test ride at the Kansas City Harley plant Open house last September. It was 99 that day. My wife said she had some warmth on her legs but not hot like the 12 Limited. She also said the new seat and backrest were actually more comfortable then what the wing had. I noticed right away the 14 had more power then my 12 with the stage 1 mods but still not what the wing had. It also felt much more stable in corners then the 12. My wife and I were both sold on the 14. She told me I could buy it instead of going back to the wing. I bought my 14 Limited October 5th and put 1600 miles on it before the snow and cold hit. It definitely handles better than the 12 did. It's handling is very close to what I remember the Wing being at speed. But it and my 12 Limited both handled better then the Wing at low speeds like around parking lots. My wife can ride all day on the 14 with no complaints about the comfort. If I had it to do over again I would have stayed with the Wing over the 12 Limited. But I would choose the 14 Limited over the Wing. The main advantage to the wing over the 14 Limited is the power. The wing was rated at 118HP and 125ft Torq. Harley doesn't release HP numbers but I have seen some dyno #'s posted and the 14 limited is around 80Hp and 100ft torq. But the 14 Limited is a much funner, more comfortable and I feel is a better looking bike. You can PM me or reply to this post if you have any other questions.
Great writeup! I'm in the market for a 2014 and am most concerned about the heat. Glad to hear your wife approves of the 2014. My wife doesn't ride all that often, but my kids enjoy riding on the weekends. I really like all the changes with the Rushmore updates, but I wish I was more certain I won't miss the handling and power of the Goldwing.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
Great writeup! I'm in the market for a 2014 and am most concerned about the heat. Glad to hear your wife approves of the 2014. My wife doesn't ride all that often, but my kids enjoy riding on the weekends. I really like all the changes with the Rushmore updates, but I wish I was more certain I won't miss the handling and power of the Goldwing.
It's been two years since I was on a wing. But like I said on the earlier post. The 14 Limited handle's about as good as I remember the wing handling. The wing had more power but the 14 Limited had more then enough for 2 up riding. My best advice is to rent one for a day or a weekend.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Dawg 689
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing to ultra

I've owned 3 Wings over the years, the last was a 05 that I put over 90,000 miles on with no issues.

Hard to really compare the two as each is unique in design. Wings ride well after some mods to the suspension are added and they have a bit more HP/Torque. With that being said, we love our Ultra for the smooth ride and plenty of power for 2-up and pulling a Bushtec trlr. I don't think we look any better 'cause we are on a H-D, but that is not why we ride.

Not sorry we got the Ultra and would not go back to the Wing.

J-M-O others may differ.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:47 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yea yea

Had a goldwing and was very impressed with power and handling.
But I felt bored on it...it's not a Harley. If I have to explain you wouldn't understand. To much plastic and not enough steel just a total different bike!
Harley's go fast enough and have the torque, sound and feel that's makes the ride fun.
Hap