Sponsored by:

slip-ons, tuner needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:11 AM
odieodie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slip-ons, tuner needed?

was looking at some new mufflers, is any kind of tune or tuner needed for adding slip-ons or can you just bolt them on and go? bike is all stock

Old 03-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Some say you don't... some say you do... I will say yes. I have a stock 14 SGS and I believe it depends on your choice of slip-ons as well. I am adding slip-ons to stock header with a FL-ViED-10 to get by until I get a tuner. We run lean from the factory... open up the exhaust and breathe better, but you have not compensated for the intake side at all... now you are even leaner than stock... heat will increase and blueing on your pipes may occur.

Be safe rather than sorry... the FL-ViED-10 is only around $120 and allows you to adjust your AFR (air-fuel ratio) quite easily with a screw driver. Is it IDEAL... probably not, but you can a t least add more fuel to richen it up and lower your heat down... maybe even get a bit of performance gains like throttle response and MPG....until you spring for a tuner.

My .02

Last edited by Spazz; 03-01-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 AM
jstrenn
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's my $.02 If you leave the cat in place and just add slip ons with no change to your air cleaner, I would say no, you don't need a tuner. However if you removed the cat or upgrade your air cleaner then you are increasing the flow, so you would need a tuner.

The cat is more restrictive than the muffler, so slip ons won't make a difference on the tune.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Determined by brand of slip-ons...

I believe the choice of slip-ons will determine if AFR needs adjustment at a minimum...

Here is a quote for one brand that I am lookin into:

** Please note that adding CFR Slip-ons to stock Harley-Davidson 103" and 110" engines will require the bike to be re-tuned otherwise discoloration may occur. **

Bluing or discoloration is mainly caused by running too lean... the AFR needs to be richened up....

Old 03-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Rockgeezer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it "needed"..no, not in my opinion. But if you will be adding head pipes without cats, higher flow AC, additional mods, then yes, it will be needed. There are a ton of discussions of models of tuners and all seem to have merit. I have used piggyback units like the V&H Fuelpak with good results. I bought a FL-VIED-10 and never got a chance to install on anything so will probably just sell it but have heard good opinions on it for a quick plug-in enrichment device. As others have mentioned, the bike runs a little lean from the factory and all mods will lean it out more so eventually you will need to do something.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

If you want to make a change, wait until you can afford to do it properly.

If right now you can only afford mufflers, but not a tuner, buy the mufflers, put them on the shelf until you have the scratch for a tuner.

IMHO, I would stay away from ViEDs of any sort, as there is no "tuning", only lying to the BCM to make it run fatter, which isn't all bad, better than lean, but still...

I waited until I had my ducks in a row, and ordered headpipes, mufflers, AC and K&N filter, and my PV-2 all at the same time, so I wasn't tempted to just throw one or the other on.

That's just ME. And to qualify that, I have NOT heard of ANYone having damage or issues beyond discoloration due to "just installing mufflers" or running ViEDs.

YMMV

Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 PM
odieodie
Intermediate

a lot of good info, I'm just looking to get a little more rumble out of the pipes right now, bike only has 300miles and the performance is fine for right now. just want to make sure I don't do any damage with just a slip-on

Old 03-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odieodie
a lot of good info, I'm just looking to get a little more rumble out of the pipes right now, bike only has 300miles and the performance is fine for right now. just want to make sure I don't do any damage with just a slip-on
You'll be fine with just that for now. I put on Monster Ovals only when I first got the bike and it had a deeper, little bit more volume than stock and then, as SafetyMan suggests, if you go with catless head pipes, AC and other mods, get a tuner to dial it in after all is installed, which is what I did and am very happy with the results.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:30 PM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer

I had the dealer put the Street Canons on before I even picked up the bike, I doubt they did anything. Once I pass the 1000 mile service and break in I'm adding an air cleaner and I know at that point I'll need to do some tuning. I'm probably going the Power Vision route for that. Eventually I'll get rid of the cat and do other stuff but it'll be a piece at a time.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:44 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

MY thoughts are the FIRST money spent should be a flash tuner.

A TTS or a PV will Vtune or autotune, and you can adjust as you add trinkets...

Everyone always does slipons first though.

Quick Reply: slip-ons, tuner needed?