Sponsored by:

Short guy problem lol...please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:59 PM
jdelange
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taranwanderer
+1 on the Mean City Cycles mod. I had mine done back in January, and while up I haven't had the chance to put any miles in it yet, I can say that the Super Narrow got my feet nearly flat in regular shoes, and with my boots on, I'm good (also 5' 6" with 29" inseam.) Also had them do the heater mod while it was there. Much more $ sense then buying a new seat and having the original one cluttering up your garage, too. Alan and Lori at MCC are great folks to work with. I would do the seat first before you start monkeying with the suspension, contrary to some earlier posts. Just MHO though. Good luck!

To the guy that modded your seat yourself: that took some serious *****. Holy ****.
I am 5'6" as well with a '12 Street Glide and looking at the super narrow from MCC. I'm going to go as low as I can but not sure how far forward to go without crushing the jewels... How far forward did you go?

Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 AM
jcp0330
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice from a short guy

Okay, here is my two cents. I went through all kinds of lowering research and mistakes on a 2009 Ultra Classic, which was the first year of the new frame and was really wide. In the end I lowered the front 1" and used the stock 13" air shocks with the lowering blocks that do not chane the shock angle (e-glide goodies) , and contoured the seat. Then later went to a low mustang seat. Then when I went to a 2012 Ultra Limited. I kept the suspension stock and just used the low Mustang seat. Wow! the suspension was so much better. I will never ride a lowered bike again. In my opinion, a lowered bike rides like S@#%.

I'm 5'5" on a good day and now ride a stock height 2014 Limited with a contoured stock seat. However, I ride motor officer style and only put down my left foot and keep my right foot on up on the break and only put my right foot down if an issue and then only a little more than the ball of the foot.

Also, I found a great pair of boots at Sears that have a very thick and good rubber soul. With these boots and can even back-up the bike on a slight upward slope. The boots are "Timberland PRO Men's Direct Attach Wheat 6" Waterproof Insulated Work Boot"

It feels a little different not to but both feet flat, but you can get used to it. by using the friction zone and the rear break, my foot never goes down unless the bike is completely stopped. No duck walking for me. If you are not familiar with the friction zone, or the use of rear brake only a low speeds then check out the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD.

So in short, my opinion is DO NOT lower a Street Glide any further than stock. Just get a different seat, or narrow the stock seat, then get the right boots. Mean City Cycles does great seat work.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:36 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

After emailing a bit with MCC (great responsiveness), I'm buying the HD signature solo with the backrest. Not the prettiest one at the dance but people who have them like them on here for the most part. I'll put some miles on with the seat to see what needs to be done and then send it off to them for the mod. Just need lowering and 'maybe' a bit forward I think but we'll see. For the price of a Corbin or even C&C with a backrest, I 'think' I'm making the right decision..... I'm 5'6" in socks and can just flatfoot it with my Chippewa boots.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 PM
Taranwanderer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdelange
I am 5'6" as well with a '12 Street Glide and looking at the super narrow from MCC. I'm going to go as low as I can but not sure how far forward to go without crushing the jewels... How far forward did you go?
I didn't go forward or backward at all, just down about 2-2.5", and the front of the seat narrowed. And the simple seat heater. Got the chance to put some miles on it (finally) this weekend, and I found it very comfortable. I was a little worried that the lowering process would remove too much of the seat's padding and make it uncomfortable, but I can say that was not an issue at all. Almost 200 miles on Saturday and no butt burn or anything. Big shout out and thanks to MCC!

Old 03-24-2014, 11:46 AM
DocO
Cruiser

Man, I've been through all this.. Lowering kits, thicker soles on my boots, reduced reach seats, SUPER reduced reach seats (it's always fun swallowing your ***** again after you get off the bike with THAT seat!). I'm 5'6 with a 29" inseam, and I finally found the answer that works for me. Air adjustable shocks. 99% of the time I'm moving, and I want my bike at stock height. It's the height it was designed to be at. When I had a lowering kit on my street glide, I was scraping in the twisties like crazy. I had a hard time keeping up with my riding buddies and had to be extra careful on how I entered the turns. What I really needed the bike lowered for was when I WASN'T moving, and that turns out to be not very often for me. The air adjustable shocks solved my problem. When I'm just getting on the bike and need to move it around, I drop it all the way and I can now stand flat footed without my rear-end even touching the seat. When I'm ready to go, I pump up the shocks to standard height with the flick of a switch, and off I go.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:36 PM
HDSTREET12
Advanced

What Shocks are they?

Old 03-24-2014, 02:01 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I just picked up a pair of Dr. Martens Jadon boots this past weekend. They really didn't look as bad as I thought once wearing them. I'll have to move the shift lever spline up a notch though lol.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:02 PM
DocO
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDSTREET12
What Shocks are they?
I was too lazy to do the DIY version and bought a kit from JCBaggers on eBay (came with a mounting bracket for the compressor). So far so good.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:16 PM
jdub099
Road Captain

I am 5'10, but with shorter legs and a longer body. My legs are probably that of someone who is around 5'8", 29-30" inseam.

Difficulty in flat footing touring bikes is more to do with width over height. I had a Reduced Reach Seat from Harley but it did not address the fundamental problem of width, and the Super Reduced was just a ****ing nut crusher with absolutely zero help in flat footing the bike. I'd suggest getting a seat with a shape that is more optimized for keeping your stance narrow. This would be something that is narrow and tapers off quickly (think more rounded in profile when viewing from the front). Before I traded my bike I was looking at Roland Sands seats. MCC seems like a pretty good way to go.

Other things to try:
Big boots. I could flat foot in my boots but not a pair of Vans.

Lower the bike. You can lower the bike but because geometry is at play here don't expect a 2" drop to bring the ground 2" closer to the bottom of your feet.

Last edited by jdub099; 03-24-2014 at 02:20 PM.