Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short guy problem lol...please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:10 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I tried the reach seat - it was terrible, not a good long riding seat... then I had the MC mods done to the reach seat, and it still was not a long-ride seat. My legs hurt, back, and my butt would go numb. IMO - try all the other lowering techniques that everyone else has mentioned to the bike, make the seat your last resort. just my 2¢.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:19 PM
HeroNtheShadows
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome guys! Thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely give Mean City a call.... What boots do you guys recommend for a higher heel? Right now I ride in Danner Acadia boots.....

Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I ride with Carolina logger boots, but you can find all kinds of boots with taller heels. Make sure you get somewhere to try on boots for comfort and ease of walking. I have a couple of stores that have great sales and match internet prices. They also will let me go outside and try the boots while sitting on my bike. Lots of choices to change the bike itself, but I would really try the boots first.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:43 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Buy riding boots that have a thicker sole

Old 02-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am 5'7" and find myself on my toes of my 14 SGS... I have been wearing Doc Martin's with no luck... just picked up a pair of Carolina's and haven't had a good weather day to ride yet. I have Redwing Loggers, but damn they are no comfy boot to wear, but the heals are HUGE!!!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
On the '14's you can slide your front fork's up in the tripple tree an inch as well lowering the bike equally or purchase the Premium Fork kit that will do two things, improve the front end and lower it.
Don't want to do this - you risk denting the front fender on big holes in the road when you run out of suspension travel.

The premium fork lowering kit will give results with improved ride (bonus).

Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 PM
LynnKDean
Intermediate

Go to a cobbler and have them put thicker soles on your boots. I am 5'7" and ride a 14 SGS and am flat footing no problem now with just that change. Still have stock seat and suspension. Cheap mod!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 PM
HDReiter
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not as much as your height, but what your inseam is. Here is what helped me with a 28" inseam. I switched out the stock shocks for a set of JRI A's. Not to lower me, but I wanted a better ride. Turned out the JRI's did lower me a little while providing more shock stroke. Then I sent my seat to Mean City Cycles for the Super Narrow modification. I am now flat footed with standard riding boots.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 PM
HeroNtheShadows
Advanced

Originally Posted by HDReiter
It's not as much as your height, but what your inseam is. Here is what helped me with a 28" inseam. I switched out the stock shocks for a set of JRI A's. Not to lower me, but I wanted a better ride. Turned out the JRI's did lower me a little while providing more shock stroke. Then I sent my seat to Mean City Cycles for the Super Narrow modification. I am now flat footed with standard riding boots.
Hey Reiter, I checked out the Mean City website. How long did you have to wait for an appointment with them? Also when I looked at the Super Narrow it said they can move u up, down, forward, or back... I'm thinking of having them lower my position an inch along with the narrowing. Did you move your position? And I'm thinking of getting the new soles too.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 PM
tcar321
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HeroNtheShadows
Hey Reiter, I checked out the Mean City website. How long did you have to wait for an appointment with them? Also when I looked at the Super Narrow it said they can move u up, down, forward, or back... I'm thinking of having them lower my position an inch along with the narrowing. Did you move your position? And I'm thinking of getting the new soles too.
Give them a call, they are very knowledgeable. They will ask you height, weight, and inseam. and with that they will recommend the best mod to suit your need. Go with their suggestion, you will be very happy you did.

I only had to wait 2 weeks for an appt.

Quick Reply: Short guy problem lol...please help