2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New SGS Dealership Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014 | 09:57 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

I can think of worse places to spend 5 hours.

I was there for 6, but bought 2 2014's

When I bought my RAM 1500 4x4 CC, I was there 12 hours.... but I beat the sales manager up pretty bad on the last day of their sales month, and came out 9 grand under MSRP, and worked them up 5 grand on my trade from their original offer, so it was worth it.

Old 03-11-2014 | 11:33 AM
texaspirate
Road Captain

When I bought my 2014 SGS it took 2 hours to finalize paperwork and drive it out the door. Most everything was done over the phone after the initial test ride of a 2014 SG and putting $500 to order the SGS from the factory. Total time at dealer was about 3 hours.

Old 03-11-2014 | 01:19 PM
acfetber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 05dlx
So I just picked up my 2014 SGS on Sunday and was wondering how long did the whole purchase ordeal take you guys?? I was at the dealer for 5 hours. that included the test ride and evaluating my trade in. Seemed like an excessive amount of time to me but maybe not.
took 2 to 3 hours did not meet salesman till I picked it up. 2014 limited contacted 3 dealers told them what color I wanted and there bottom price and that I was going to buy bike today. No trade no test drive no finance the one that gave me the best deal I bought from.

Old 03-11-2014 | 01:58 PM
ChiliPepr
Advanced

I walked into my Harley dealership last month on a snowy Wednesday at 5:15pm, dealership closed at 6pm. I knew the bike I wanted and knew how much I was going to pay (and knew I was giving the dealership a decent profit, just not all the profit they wanted).

Told the Sales Person I was interested and we sat down, gave him my number and had an OK from the desk at 6pm. Took another 45 minutes to do the paperwork and bike walkthrough. I was paying cash and was keeping my old bike so I had no trade in. I also was not planning on picking the bike up that day so did not need to deal with insurance and plates.

I agree with LL247, It all depends on how busy they are, how prepared you are, and how much outside work needs to be done.

Old 03-11-2014 | 03:44 PM
Erock1800
Tourer

Originally Posted by 05dlx
So I just picked up my 2014 SGS on Sunday and was wondering how long did the whole purchase ordeal take you guys?? I was at the dealer for 5 hours. that included the test ride and evaluating my trade in. Seemed like an excessive amount of time to me but maybe not.
Which dealership? I think it took me 2 at the most. But I didn't have a trade. I test drove a new bike but ordered a a Special and it was delivered a few months later. That day I went in sign the papers, left the bike again so they could add all my parts picked it up 2 weeks later. Long Branch HD.

Old 03-11-2014 | 07:24 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

This is the third bike I bought from the same dealer did the deal over the phone he knew my trade quoted me over the phone sight unseen I emailed him my mod list to have installed on the new bike rode my bike in spent all of 15 min signing the papers he switched the plates gave me 30 min of tutorial on the infotainment and I was on the road.

Old 03-11-2014 | 08:12 PM
mutantsfornukes
Cruiser

I spent a good bit of time at my dealer to get my deal done. The day I picked it up, I had to wait 2.5 hours total. Of course, part of this was waiting for them to get a generator hooked up due to massive power outages caused by an ice storm.

It all ended well since I had 70 degree weather the rest of the weekend and got to put plenty of miles on my new ride.

Old 03-13-2014 | 10:17 AM
05dlx
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LL247
Ok, I'm going to chime in since I'm the Business Manager for a Harley dealer in the Pittsburgh area. Time in and out all depends on how the deal is set up in the beginning. Here's an example of a deal I did this morning:

Guy picks the bike, we agree to numbers, talk financing and he wants to compare rates to his credit union, gives me a deposit and says he'll be back Friday to pick it up. I made sure we have all the info and copies we need, gave him the vin # to get his insurance straight and asked that he has a copy faxed to my office prior to Friday if he can. All took about a half hour today...now when he picks it up he'll be signed and done within about ten minutes on Friday.

That's the mark of a prepared finance guy IMO. My goal is to make sure the paperwork process is as quick and simple for the customer as possible. My line I say all the time, "Look man, I'll keep this as easy as possible. I hate paperwork myself and I do it for a living!"

Now on the other hand, a deal can take much more time. If you show up on a sunny Saturday and think it's going to be quick...er...you got another thing coming partner. Keep in mind these aren't toys, they're vehicles that involve state paperwork, plates, financing, ect. There are days where 3 people all decide to buy a bike at once, if you're third in line you'll probably be waiting a while. Good rule of thumb is this: after you say 'yes', providing there are absolutely no other deals going on at the time, expect about an hour. I'm lightning fast on paperwork and it still takes 45-60min to submit to the bank, load the deal, pull all the paperwork, issue plates, ect...and that's if you already have everything you need (like insurance)!

Another harsh reality folks is that not all finance departments are created equal. A lot of finance people are employees that were asked "Hey, you wanna do finance???" They tend to be the ones that take forever to put a deal together and end up quitting the position after a short time once they know what's involved.
Well, I surly can appreciate your response and position. In all fairness there were, I think, 2 other purchases in front of me, however, even with that 5+ hours to get the deal done is still excessive. I will say that the actual signing of papers, and transfer of money was probably the fastest part of the ordeal. Isn't that surprising!!!!

Old 03-13-2014 | 10:18 AM
05dlx
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Erock1800
Which dealership? I think it took me 2 at the most. But I didn't have a trade. I test drove a new bike but ordered a a Special and it was delivered a few months later. That day I went in sign the papers, left the bike again so they could add all my parts picked it up 2 weeks later. Long Branch HD.
I would rather not say as I don't want to start a fire storm but I will say it was a Southern NJ dealership.

Old 03-13-2014 | 11:59 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

I do have a question or two for the OP.... Did you get the deal you wanted? Did you get the bike you wanted? Now that you have it, are you happy with the bike you got? In the end if the above answers are all marked as yes, does it truly matter that it took that long to get what you wanted and now have, like forever to ride it? If you answered No to any of the above, something is wrong. They are awesome machines, it was your decision to buy it, and if you feel you didn't get a good deal, you should have went elsewhere.
Just thought I would ask.