Answer To Aux Input on 6.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 02:33 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 01XLH
Oh how I wish it was that simple.
When I head North (which isn't hard, there's a lake there) it shows I'm going East.
When I head South it shows West.

On my first ride once the snow and salt were gone, I picked an HD dealer and headed West, I traveled on a road just South of the lake. At the road coming up where I should turn right, the unit told me to turn left... into the lake. Good thing there was no road there. I'd be writing this from Canada.

Now I suspect this type of a problem is an isolated case and not as widespread as the AVC and the volume joystick not working. But none-the-less it is a problem and it seems the locals don't have an answer and the MoCo simply doesn't give a damn, they're too busy selling more.

As far the volume issues, for a tech to tell me the problem was I didn't do the .4 upgrade properly? He did the re-flash, it lasted 200 miles and everything was crap again.
After a different tech did a reflash to turn on the Aux # 3 input, the AVC started working. Sorry these are problems within the infotainment and software system.

That's some odd stuff you're seeing with the direction. I have NEVER had the GPS not know what direction I'm going. I mean NEVER. I usually drive around with the map on and it always indicates the proper direction.

I think you have something broken.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:22 PM
roquewj
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my Zumo 660 installed on my new 2014 Ultra Limited.
Took a little longer to get the Jumper, as it is not available in Brazil and I needed to buy it in the USA.

Working very well.

Attached Thumbnails Answer To Aux Input on 6.5-gps-zumo-na-ultra-limited-2014-004.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 03:44 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall
That's some odd stuff you're seeing with the direction. I have NEVER had the GPS not know what direction I'm going. I mean NEVER. I usually drive around with the map on and it always indicates the proper direction.

I think you have something broken.
I was out of town and never got an email about your reply.
There are too many threads here talking about these same issues and I can't remember which one I made the following comment in.

After picking the bike up from the dealer (who claimed they couldn't find anything wrong) that had it while I was away, I realized something;
There is the small compass" overlaid on the GPS screen, it's now wrong only 90% of the time after the dealing couldnt' find anything wrong .
There is also the larger full compass option on the GPS, I put it on and watched it for 100 miles and it was always accurate.
I assume there's only one sensor that decides the direction of travel.
I have two compasses showing a different direction, sure sounds like programming to me.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:52 PM
01XLH
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Kevinch
I'm not sure, but I think this heading indicator works when you have the GPS set so the direction you are heading is always pointing "up". You can also set the GPS up so that the direction you are heading is always the compass points - so going west, the vehicle icon on the screen heads to the left, going south it heads down, etc.
Just a comment.
If the heading indicator is as you suggest, that would mean with the one setting, it would always point in the same direction as the "vehicle" icon is pointing, I don't see the advantage of having that. In either setting, with mine when I go West the indicator will show East, when I go North it will show East, when I go North it shows South, when I head South it shows West.
And if I use the larger compass setting it's always accurate.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by 01XLH
Just a comment.
If the heading indicator is as you suggest, that would mean with the one setting, it would always point in the same direction as the "vehicle" icon is pointing, I don't see the advantage of having that. In either setting, with mine when I go West the indicator will show East, when I go North it will show East, when I go North it shows South, when I head South it shows West.
And if I use the larger compass setting it's always accurate.
My exact same problem. I just got back from Canada, 2000 mile trip, and that red/white pointer was all over the place. It definitely wasn't a direction pointer(why would it be one since your icon shows what direction you're going) and it didn't show east/west/north/south consistently - one time the red would point east and the next it would point south - always a different direction.
I'M COMPLETELY CONFUSED ON WHAT THE HELL THIS THING IS!!!!!!

Could it be telling you in what direction a dealer service dept. is?????

Anyone KNOW for a fact what this is and not just a guess????

Last edited by GARY DYER; 07-31-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
My exact same problem. I just got back from Canada, 2000 mile trip, and that red/white pointer was all over the place. It definitely wasn't a direction pointer(why would it be one since your icon shows what direction you're going) and it didn't show east/west/north/south consistently - one time the red would point east and the next it would point south - always a direction.
I'M COMPLETELY CONFUSED ON WHAT THE HELL THIS THING IS!!!!!!

Could it be telling you in what direction a dealer service dept. is?????

Anyone KNOW for a fact what this is and not just a guess????
Isn't the red half of the red/white pointer always facing North? I thought it always pointed in the Northerly direction (whatever direction it was pointing was North)...

Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I never ride with "North Up"

I ride with "Heading Up" that way I always know at a glance if I need to turn right or left at a moments notice.
See, I sometimes find it useful to ride with the GPS set to a "North Up" display, especially if I'm in an unknown area. For instance, if I set out & know my destination is in a north-west direction, I find it useful to just glance at the display & see what direction I'm going - if I'm pointed towards the lower right hand corner, I know something is wrong! I find it easier to determine between a left & right hand turn, than look at the compass to determine north & then determine what direction I'm going.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not really sure if my little compass is working because every time I look at it I struggle to figure out which direction it's actually pointing. The graphics aren't very good so it's not obvious to me with a quick glance what it's showing. I don't bother trying to figure it out any more.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 AM
01XLH
Road Captain

Here's a new twist, maybe it's normal, but I've never seen it before.
I decided to do some systematic testing. So I jumped on, put the GPS into the Compass mode, I went in a 1 mile loop South, West, North, East and repeated it twice and the ? marks stayed there. Then I made a left to head North and then got the correct compass rose. Sorry for the blur.

Attached Thumbnails Answer To Aux Input on 6.5-gps_nodira.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:35 AM
01XLH
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Isn't the red half of the red/white pointer always facing North? I thought it always pointed in the Northerly direction (whatever direction it was pointing was North)...
Yeah, Red is supposed to point North.

Quick Reply: Answer To Aux Input on 6.5