Sponsored by:

Answer To Aux Input on 6.5

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:18 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhawk85u
It wasn't pointing to your left - it was pointing to west. The compass on the GPS is fixed with north up. So a pointer to the left indicates that you were traveling west. Not the way I would have designed it, but it's the way it works. --N-- -W-E- --S--
Save your breath, I've been trying to explain that it's a "Heading Indicator", just like the letters on most car mirrors, not a compass for a year now.

If you are heading;
West, the red arrow should point left, 9:00 o'clock.
East, the red arrow should point right, 3:00 o'clock
South, the red arrow should point down, 6:00 o'clock
North, the red arrow should point up, 12 o'clock

If they simply made it read out the letters "N NE E SE S SW W and NW", people wouldn't be as confused... maybe.

Last edited by offthewall; 08-08-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall
Save your breath, I've been trying to explain that it's a "Heading Indicator", just like the letters on most car mirrors, not a compass for a year now.

If you are heading;

If they simply made it read out the letters "N NE E SE S SW W and NW", people wouldn't be as confused... maybe.

Excellent explanation. If the navigation display is set so that your direction is always "up", then the arrow is NOT a compass, but a needle indicating your direction by POINTING to the compass points.

So with the display set to always show your direction as straight up, when heading west the needle should be pointing left, to where the "W" would be on a compass.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 AM
jkane13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone is getting their panties in a bundle because the direction the compass points in depends on how you have your map set to display and there is more than one compass depending on what screen you are on. If you want to argue what direction it is pointing, you should talk about how your map is set to display, North Up, track up, 2d, or 3d, and if you are looking at the little compass on the map, or the big compass by itself.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:57 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall

If you are heading;

offthewall,
You make it sound like everyone that has the problem just does not understand what's going on.
I won't argue that some might be confused, but I'm not. I understand compass and heading indicator displays.

Since the .5 update most of the indicators are incorrect too often.
Prior to that, at least the full screen compass was accurate.

On my weekend trip, I tried all the compass, heads-up setting options multiple times, using my Nuvi as a reference. Throughout the 300 miles, the alphabetic indicator (in the bottom banner) was accurate, the full screen compass rarely and the overlay on the map was accurate about 50% of the time and that was only if I was headed North. When it wasn't accurate, it didn't matter how it was set-up, it was simply inaccurate.

We even did a loop around a small town a few times. First time going North, the indicator was pointing @ the 6:00, after going around 360 deg. (back to North), it swung to clockwise to 1:30, the 3rd time 3:00.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 01XLH
offthewall, You make it sound like everyone that has the problem just does not understand what's going on. I won't argue that some might be confused, but I'm not. I understand compass and heading indicator displays. Since the .5 update most of the indicators are incorrect too often. Prior to that, at least the full screen compass was accurate. On my weekend trip, I tried all the compass, heads-up setting options multiple times, using my Nuvi as a reference. Throughout the 300 miles, the alphabetic indicator (in the bottom banner) was accurate, the full screen compass rarely and the overlay on the map was accurate about 50% of the time and that was only if I was headed North. When it wasn't accurate, it didn't matter how it was set-up, it was simply inaccurate. We even did a loop around a small town a few times. First time going North, the indicator was pointing @ the 6:00, after going around 360 deg. (back to North), it swung to clockwise to 1:30, the 3rd time 3:00.
I don't have the .5 update so I can't comment, but my heading indicator and compass are correct every time I bother to check with 0.4.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

OK!! I FINALLY saw the Light. I did a long ride Sunday and remembered what "offthewall" said. And Shazam - everything made sense - well doesn't make sense but I understand now. It is very confusing - at least for me. Depending on the screen format I have up, the direction is indicated in the lower left corner like 01xlh described. Other times there is no indication of north which I think is more important then showing you which direction you are riding. That's just me.

My excuse is I'm old - takes awhile to make me unlearn things. LOL Thanks offthewall for your patience and explanation.

I think we need a pole on who likes "North Up" vs "Direction Up"

I'm casting my vote for North Up.

Now I need to know how to access different music files on a thumb drive - I will start another thread so this one is not watered down too much.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:16 AM
WAAKI HarleyD
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hojones
For folks looking to add a auxiliary input to their 6.5 system to use a Garmin or whatever device it is a relatively simple process. I purchased the HD part number 69200610 jumper and removed the 3 wires from the Molex connector. Be sure to record what pin number they are and color. You will find a 12 pin Molex connector on top of the radio unit that goes from the CB to the main radio unit. In that connector on the CB side you will see 4 spaces in the plug that are not being used. Take the Molex connector apart from the front. Remove the white blanks. insert the wire sockets into the same number holes you removed them from previously. They are white, red, black. Hole numbers 6,7,8. Take bike to your dealer to connect to Digital Tech. Under the radio tab you will see Audio inputs. Choose Aux input 3 and name it what ever you like. You will see at the top of the DT screen an option to turn CB on or Off. Do not choose ON. That will take the CB out of system. Only tell them to turn the Audio 3 input on. Flash radio and reboot radio. You will see on your radio under "Media" your newly named input. it will work with any Garmin or audio device you have and functions and mutes just like the rest of the system. I hope this helps those of us who had questions about this subject.
I know you posted this February but I though that I would give you a quick update. I fitted the harness and without doing anything my Garmin Navigation prompts interrupted anything I was listening to. However, I wanted the ability to listen to my Garmin Sirius Radio. I got the tech to enable the Aux 3 input and was able to see the Garmin as the third media device but now I had lost the navigation prompts, I had also lost the on board GPS. Long story short (I was with the tech when he was working on the bike to get the onboard GPS back) to get the GPS back the previous Tech had switched it off (maybe he thought that I did not need it because of my Garmin. Whilst looking for this problem he showed me the page where the third input is enabled and I noticed that there were four options On, Off (default), Prompt Only (default - hence the ability to hear nav prompts from the Garmin) and Prompts and add device to menu. I got him to enable the last option. Now I not only am able to select my Garmin as the third input device but I also get nav prompts from it no matter what media source I am listening to.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:51 PM
bulkness
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WAAKI HarleyD
I know you posted this February but I though that I would give you a quick update. I fitted the harness and without doing anything my Garmin Navigation prompts interrupted anything I was listening to. However, I wanted the ability to listen to my Garmin Sirius Radio. I got the tech to enable the Aux 3 input and was able to see the Garmin as the third media device but now I had lost the navigation prompts, I had also lost the on board GPS. Long story short (I was with the tech when he was working on the bike to get the onboard GPS back) to get the GPS back the previous Tech had switched it off (maybe he thought that I did not need it because of my Garmin. Whilst looking for this problem he showed me the page where the third input is enabled and I noticed that there were four options On, Off (default), Prompt Only (default - hence the ability to hear nav prompts from the Garmin) and Prompts and add device to menu. I got him to enable the last option. Now I not only am able to select my Garmin as the third input device but I also get nav prompts from it no matter what media source I am listening to.
I've read through the threads reference the Aux Input on 6.5 radio and I'm still not sure I understand this. I am working on a 2014 Tri-Glide. I had the dealer install the CB which is working just fine. I install a used XM module which is working fine. I have purchased the HD part number 69200610 jumper and when it gets to the dealership I will have no problems with this installation. I will be mounting my Garmin 590LM to the handlebars. I will be hooking the 590LM audio out into the 69200610 jumper.
Here is where I not sure I understand the HD-Tech settings. I will have service tech set aux 3 to "Garmin 590LM". I will have them select "Prompts and add device to menu". They will make no further changes. At this point I will hear my Garmin prompts through the radio and I will still see the HD Nav Screen if I so choose.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by bulkness
I've read through the threads reference the Aux Input on 6.5 radio and I'm still not sure I understand this. I am working on a 2014 Tri-Glide. I had the dealer install the CB which is working just fine. I install a used XM module which is working fine. I have purchased the HD part number 69200610 jumper and when it gets to the dealership I will have no problems with this installation. I will be mounting my Garmin 590LM to the handlebars. I will be hooking the 590LM audio out into the 69200610 jumper.
Here is where I not sure I understand the HD-Tech settings. I will have service tech set aux 3 to "Garmin 590LM". I will have them select "Prompts and add device to menu". They will make no further changes. At this point I will hear my Garmin prompts through the radio and I will still see the HD Nav Screen if I so choose.
Following these threads as well. As I understand it, the Aux input will look like another audio input.

If it's used with an HD branded Garmin (Zumo), then a different input can be selected & the Zumo will interrupt that audio source with nav prompts.

If it's used with a non-HD branded Garmin, it will not interrupt a different input with the nav prompts.

AFAIK this is because the HD branded units have an audio tone output that the radio recognizes & allows the selected audio to be interrupted with the nav prompts. Standard Garmin units don't have this audio tone output & won't be recognized & won't interrupt the selected audio source.

Regarding your install/setup description, I believe you have all that figured out correctly. This should be how it's done to keep the internal nav working with your Garmin attached. Your Garmin nav prompts may interrupt a selected audio source, but if it doesn't, I don't think it will be because you chose the wrong setup options, but rather because the 590 doesn't have the required audio tone in its' output.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:56 AM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 454 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Pins for x Jack Install

Could someone post up the pin numbers for the wires on this installation on a '14/'15 FLHTK? Long story short, the dealer install failed (due to DTT problems and lack of understanding the install), and I ran out of waiting time, so I had them button it up without it wired up.

So, I need the pin-out mapping (they are not in the instructions) so I can re-attach the wires and just get them to re-flash via DTT.

I bought from an out of state dealer, so it's not economical for me to take it back for this minor thing.

Quick Reply: Answer To Aux Input on 6.5