Sponsored by:

Answer To Aux Input on 6.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Isn't the red half of the red/white pointer always facing North? I thought it always pointed in the Northerly direction (whatever direction it was pointing was North)...
That's what I thought, or at least the white part - either one would be great. but not on mine. I have "Direction UP" on my display.
Sometimes the red would point south or east or west. When I'm heading in a certain direction like going west (west is toward the top on the display) - the red should be pointing to the right on the display, and when I'm traveling south (south is toward the top on the display) - the red should be pointing to the bottom of the display. If I'm traveling east(east is toward the top of the display) - the red should be pointing to the left.
Isn't that correct??? Or have I gone completely crazy?

Having north "up" is great if you're accustomed to reading a map, but I'm more interested in seeing which way I need to turn ahead of me - left or right. For me that's easier and faster. Maybe I'll try riding with "North up" sometime and see how that works. I'm just so use to doing "direction up" for the last 6 or 7 years.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:28 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hojones
For folks looking to add a auxiliary input to their 6.5 system to use a Garmin or whatever device it is a relatively simple process. I purchased the HD part number 69200610 jumper and removed the 3 wires from the Molex connector. Be sure to record what pin number they are and color. You will find a 12 pin Molex connector on top of the radio unit that goes from the CB to the main radio unit. In that connector on the CB side you will see 4 spaces in the plug that are not being used. Take the Molex connector apart from the front. Remove the white blanks. insert the wire sockets into the same number holes you removed them from previously. They are white, red, black. Hole numbers 6,7,8. Take bike to your dealer to connect to Digital Tech. Under the radio tab you will see Audio inputs. Choose Aux input 3 and name it what ever you like. You will see at the top of the DT screen an option to turn CB on or Off. Do not choose ON. That will take the CB out of system. Only tell them to turn the Audio 3 input on. Flash radio and reboot radio. You will see on your radio under "Media" your newly named input. it will work with any Garmin or audio device you have and functions and mutes just like the rest of the system. I hope this helps those of us who had questions about this subject.
does this meen that when this input is selected there will be no radio of USB music ? Thanks for the great write-up

Old 08-08-2014, 07:13 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
That's what I thought, or at least the white part - either one would be great. but not on mine. I have "Direction UP" on my display.
Sometimes the red would point south or east or west. When I'm heading in a certain direction like going west (west is toward the top on the display) - the red should be pointing to the right on the display, and when I'm traveling south (south is toward the top on the display) - the red should be pointing to the bottom of the display. If I'm traveling east(east is toward the top of the display) - the red should be pointing to the left.
Isn't that correct??? Or have I gone completely crazy?

Having north "up" is great if you're accustomed to reading a map, but I'm more interested in seeing which way I need to turn ahead of me - left or right. For me that's easier and faster. Maybe I'll try riding with "North up" sometime and see how that works. I'm just so use to doing "direction up" for the last 6 or 7 years.
Gary - could it be the road wasn't going the direction you thought it was at that moment? What I mean is - maybe you are heading in a general direction of south, but as the road twists & turns your actual heading direction changes. So, you look at the display & think the compass needle should be pointed straight down, but it's now pointed to the right because the small section of road you are on at that immediate moment has you headed due west.

I know for me personally, it is harder to have my current direction "up" & determine my current heading that it is for me to have north "up" & determine what way to turn. It takes more time for me to think it through: "OK, the North needle is pointing to the right, that means I am heading west, so if I want to turn south I need to make a left". I'm quicker if I look at the display, see the bike is pointing to the left & determine "OK, I'm heading west so I want to make a left to head south." That is why I have my GPS display set to north up.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Kevinch, I don't care what the direction the North arrow is facing. If I have a destination plugged into the GPS I could care less which direction I'm going because the GPS is guiding me to it. Now if you are just out for a ride with no destination, then yes, it would help to know what direction you're going if you have a particular destination in mind.

Last weekend on one of our chapter rides I noticed that the direction you are heading is also indicated in the lower left corner. When I was traveling due west(according to that info), the red pointer was pointing to my left. So how could that be???? On some of the northerly segments the red arrow did point north, but just sometimes.

I really don't understand what's going on.

Does the compass have to be calibrated like they use to be by driving in a circle - remember those days?

Last edited by GARY DYER; 08-08-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:01 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO the system is simply messed-up, on my Ultra the Red/White pointer is accurate maybe 10% of the time. And the only time it is accurate is occasionally when I'm headed toward Lake Erie and Kevin we know that's North of us.
And since the .5 update, the full screen compass is always wrong.

After talking to the programmers and thinking about it, my conclusion is;
Except for the magnetic sensor itself, each of the "compasses" is a separate entity and they are actually just a group of pixels on an LED screen with each being controlled by software code. When that code is poorly designed, not properly tested individually and then as a total system there can be problems and we're seeing them.

We're traveling SE to Amish country tomorrow, so lots of twists and turns. I'm putting the Garmin Nuvi onboard and then I want to keep an eye on the letter indication that's on the low banner of the display and see if it's accurate, then compare the other 6.5 compasses to the Nuvi.

Gary,
I remember only too well going in a circle to calibrate.
Last week, I had a new issue, (somewhere here I posted a picture) the full screen Compass had ? marks where N-E-S-W were supposed to be.
I rode in a 1 mile loop twice and the ? remained. Then when I headed North the compass indicated N-E-S & W

Last edited by 01XLH; 08-08-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:44 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

I haven't even looked at the full size compass lately. When I did all I saw were ? at each of the points.

I'm thinking that only the direction in the lower left corner is correct, but that doesn't show all the time - there's something else that takes it's place.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last weekend on one of our chapter rides I noticed that the direction you are heading is also indicated in the lower left corner. When I was traveling due west(according to that info), the red pointer was pointing to my left. So how could that be????...
You were heading west and the pointer was pointing west, so that's consistent. I don't know how useful that actually is, but it's consistent.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhawk85u
You were heading west and the pointer was pointing west, so that's consistent. I don't know how useful that actually is, but it's consistent.
Consistent???
Here's some consistancy for you.
I called HD Customer Care recently to "talk" about the problems some of us are having. I only spoke of myself, I didn't mention that I knew others were having similar issues.

Did you know the only problem HD is aware is the Volume joystick occasionally not working and "You have to turn the motorcycle off and back on and it should work".

She claimed to know nothing about the multiple GPS stuff, she looked into it and there have been no other complaints.

Not that an incorrect GPS is a showstopper, but the MoCo can now officially KMA.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by skyhawk85u
How could it be pointing west when I'm traveling west and the pointer is pointing to my left?

If I'm heading west the red pointer should be pointing to the right (north) not to the left (south) which is what it's doing.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:23 PM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How could it be pointing west when I'm traveling west and the pointer is pointing to my left?

If I'm heading west the red pointer should be pointing to the right (north) not to the left (south) which is what it's doing.
It wasn't pointing to your left - it was pointing to west. The compass on the GPS is fixed with north up. So a pointer to the left indicates that you were traveling west. Not the way I would have designed it, but it's the way it works.
--N--
-W-E-
--S--

Quick Reply: Answer To Aux Input on 6.5