Old 02-21-2014 | 09:57 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Good for you. Many happy miles and smiles

Old 02-21-2014 | 10:17 PM
Gunnerdave98
Advanced
Smile

I'm new to Harley, and with the crappy weather have only managed to get in 500 miles on my '14 SGS. I read a lot about the Rushmore stuff before I bought, including a lot of info on the forums. I have absolutely no complaints about the bike! Look forward to every opportunity to get out on the road. Don't have anything to compare it to, except the Kawasaki I had 26 years ago, but I have no regrets and think I bought the right bike! Even though the wife is still pissed that I bought black instead of a "shiny color that people can see".

Old 02-21-2014 | 10:37 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Gunnerdave98...well Sir..since you have a new Harley - I think it is time that you "Man-Up" and handle your wife. So, please let me give you a little advise.

Just walk into the bedroom and say - Listen Honey - I have worked hard all of these years - bringing home the bacon and taking good care of you. So, if I want the black bike, it is simply my decision - and I suggest you live with it and leave me the heck along.

Now this is all about timing .. and the best time to tell her this is "When She Is Asleep". Works for me every time.

Enjoy the bike... tell your wife you should have gotten the shiny one..and will do so next time.

Old 02-21-2014 | 10:48 PM
Gunnerdave98
Advanced

AGREE! She's been good about the whole thing actually. She was a cop for a lot of years and saw a lot of accidents, and lost her best friend in a motorcycle accident. That was the reason I left it alone for so long, and of course with kids growing up and all there was always something else that needed the money. But when I decided it was time, she was cool with it. The color was her only issue. But I told her I'd look at getting it painted - someday . After all she dealt with as a Navy wife for 21 years, I figure I can humor her a bit.

Old 02-22-2014 | 05:47 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Gunnerdave98 - I now know you are a lucky man - all the best.

I didn't see your signature at the bottom earlier - CWO4 - thanks for your service. When I was in the Army, we thought Warrant 4s walked between rain drops (lol).
I got commissioned in 1974 - Signal Corps - served 4 active and 2 reserves.

20 years Navy - my bet is you got some time in Norfolk. I am originally from Richmond, VA - wife is from Germany.

You have a nice bike. Wife and I chose the Amber whisky - every time I crank it, she has her helmet and is ready to go. We are headed to Sturgis in July (from Michigan). Where are you guys located?

Old 02-22-2014 | 06:12 AM
Crex39
Road Master

I think you will love it. I found some great pics from Rushmore owners to share.

Old 02-22-2014 | 07:20 AM
JRH232
Novice

Originally Posted by Crex39
I think you will love it. I found some great pics from Rushmore owners to share.
Not all Rushmore's are water cooled so don't put sgs and rk in that group......

Old 02-22-2014 | 09:53 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

[QUOTE=Gunnerdave98;123529 Even though the wife is still pissed that I bought black instead of a "shiny color that people can see".[/QUOTE]

I had just bought a new bike in 2013, it was a " black "FLD, I was never really happy with it and wished I had bought a Road King instead. Wife did not like the color either and thought the bike to be too plain. One day at the dealer, She saw a blinged out softie and said, You should have got a bike with more bling like this one. She had basically opend the door for me to trade up and we did. We are both glad now that we did not get a 13' RK when we got the FLD, otherwise we would have missed out on all the Rushmore Improvements.

Old 02-22-2014 | 11:16 AM
Gunnerdave98
Advanced

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Gunnerdave98 - I now know you are a lucky man - all the best.

I didn't see your signature at the bottom earlier - CWO4 - thanks for your service. When I was in the Army, we thought Warrant 4s walked between rain drops (lol).
I got commissioned in 1974 - Signal Corps - served 4 active and 2 reserves.

20 years Navy - my bet is you got some time in Norfolk. I am originally from Richmond, VA - wife is from Germany.

You have a nice bike. Wife and I chose the Amber whisky - every time I crank it, she has her helmet and is ready to go. We are headed to Sturgis in July (from Michigan). Where are you guys located?
Cycle7447- Thank you too! I did a total of 26 years, all but 4 of it right out of Norfolk (never have figured out how I managed that!), wife joined the ride for 21 years of it. She is from Chesapeake, and I want to stay close to my ships, so we stayed in Chesapeake. I'm working as a contractor for the Navy now.

Old 02-22-2014 | 11:21 AM
Gunnerdave98
Advanced

Originally Posted by sixguns
I had just bought a new bike in 2013, it was a " black "FLD, I was never really happy with it and wished I had bought a Road King instead. Wife did not like the color either and thought the bike to be too plain. One day at the dealer, She saw a blinged out softie and said, You should have got a bike with more bling like this one. She had basically opend the door for me to trade up and we did. We are both glad now that we did not get a 13' RK when we got the FLD, otherwise we would have missed out on all the Rushmore Improvements.
Now that sounds like the way to do it! Not having ridden in so many years, I was looking at starting with something smaller. Couple of buddies convinced me I should at least look at the touring bikes. I was mostly concerned about trying to handle one as big as a Street Glide. But the first one the dealer pushed outside for a test ride was a Street Glide. Didn't even ride any others.

Quick Reply: I think Im getting a Rushmore