2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a feeling the roads are gonna be peppered with Stranded Rushmores. WTF Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014 | 06:43 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior

Man, I'm going out to the garage and burn my 14 Ultra to the ground. Cant take the B.S. and worry anymore!

Old 02-21-2014 | 08:23 PM
TimLScheffer
|
Road Captain

It might be better that way... just me, you'll remember it the way it was in all it's glory.

Old 02-21-2014 | 09:04 PM
TimLScheffer
|
Road Captain
Default Rushmore Hydraulic Clutch Recall Problem Fail!

Update 21 Feb Star Date 2014... Went an had a conversation with the Service manager at the Dealer... Pumping them for information about this Hydroclutch thing... Got a feller to show me the part in question on a schematic... It is a little plunger looking shaft/push rod with a bunch of O rings that goes inbetween the Clutch lever & the master cylinder... He sez he has no knowledge of what part is the wrong part or bad one... all he knows is that they have had him rebuilding the master cylinders with the new & improved rebuild kit... Which includes the plunger/actuating rod or what ever you want to call it... Supposedly the new fangled rod has 3 pin holes in the back of it that you can see when you pop the clutch lever off and shine a light into the back of the master cylinder which he showed me... "See... It has the pin holes... It's the new part!"??? I'm still not convinced... I'd wager to say I am in a very exclusive club at this point being one of the few who has already logged five thousand miles on a wet head... He countered that he has had a bunch of five thousand miles services already... "But how many have logged five thousand miles on the recalled & rebuilt master cylinders???? That he could not tell me... I got no satisfaction from the Service Manager so I moved up the line and talked to his boss... He had been briefed on me and my situation... I went in like I had no knowledge and asked if whats up with my bike and if had knowledge of what was going on the the recall etc... He was playing dumb and giving me vague platitudes... I played along that the was ignorant of the specifics... Then I said OK... let me educate you then... After I finished he said, "Thats way technical an a little over my head the Mo Co doesn't share that kind of info with us... and if they do we are not allowed to share it with customers."... "So what I just heard you say is you know exactly what is going on here but you are not allowed to discuss it with me?" "No... That is NOT what I said!" he replied... "Then what did you mean by what you said?"... At that point he just started juking and jiving saying something about legalities etc.??? WTF!????? I extracted the 800 numbers for the Factory Reps from him an said "Ok... I guess I'm on to Milwaukee since you really don't have anything to say..." He spouted some politaties... but his body language said, "Don't let the Door hit you in the ****...aso!!!" Pinchie de me... So... near as I can tell... If you got a Rushmore touring bike between your legs... Yer playin a game of Russian Roulette... Good luck with that Boys n Girls...In the mean time you might wanna go practice operating yer bike without a clutch so's when it happens to you it won't be yer first Rodeo... I'll keep ya posted when I get my bike back next week... hopefully... If'n I ain't rattled their cage so much they start defecating in my Cheerios...

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 02-22-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-21-2014 | 10:37 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
Update 21 Feb Star Date 2014... Went an had a conversation with the Service manager at the Dealer... Pumping him for information about this Hydroclutch thing... He showed me the part in question on the schematic... It is a little plunger looking shaft/push rod with a bunch of O rings that goes inbetween the Clutch lever & the master cylinder... He sez he has no knowledge of what part is the wrong part or bad one... all he knows is that they have had him rebuilding the master cylinders with the new & improved rebuild kit... Which includes the plunger/actuating rod or what ever you want to call it... Supposedly the new fangled rod has 3 pin holes in the back of it that you can see when you pop the clutch lever off and shine a light into the back of the master cylinder which he showed me... "See... It has the pin holes... It's the new part!"??? I'm still not convinced... I'd wager to say I am in a very exclusive club at this point being one of the few who has already logged five thousand miles on a wet head... He countered that he has had a bunch of five thousand miles services already... "But how many have logged five thousand miles on the recalled & rebuilt master cylinders???? That he could not tell me... I got no satisfaction from the Service Manager so I moved up the line and talked to his boss... He had been briefed on me and my situation... I went in like I had no knowledge and asked if whats up with my bike and if had knowledge of what was going on the the recall etc... He was playing dumb and giving me vague platitudes... I played along that the was ignorant of the specifics... Then I said OK... let me educate you then... After I finished he said, "Thats way technical an a little over my head the Mo Co doesn't share that kind of info with us... and if they do we are not allowed to share it with customers."... "So what I just heard you say is you know exactly what is going on here but you are not allowed to discuss it with me?" "No... That is NOT what I said!" he replied... "Then what did you mean by what you said?"... At that point he just started juking and jiving saying something about legalities etc.??? WTF!????? I extracted the 800 numbers for the Factory Reps from him an said "Ok... I guess I'm on to Milwaukee since you really don't have anything to say..." He spouted some politaties... but his body language said, "Don't let the Door hit you in the ****...aso!!!" Pinchie de me... So... near as I can tell... If you got a Rushmore touring bike between your legs... Yer playin a game of Russian Roulette... Good luck with that Boys n Girls...In the mean time you might wanna go practice operating yer bike without a clutch so's when it happens to you it won't be yer first Rodeo... I'll keep ya posted when I get my bike back next week... hopefully... If'n I ain't rattled their cage so much they start defecating in my Cheerios...
As far as I can tell (your posts are very difficult to read with the repeated punctuation and run-on single paragraphs), you are extrapolating an unknown clutch issue your bike is having onto 30,000 others that are showing no signs of a problem.

For the large majority of us (basically EVERYONE with a 2014 but you), the hydraulic clutch is operating flawlessly after the recall. It was a simple matter of the wrong part being installed in a small number of bikes that could cause clutch failure. The MoCo got out in front of the issue and did a voluntary recall. They also took the opportunity to make some improvements to the design of the master cylinder to avoid air getting into the system while they had all the bikes back in. No grand scheme to kill us all. No intentional time bombs. Just a timely and responsible reaction to a unfortunate serious manufacturing issue.

IMO your bike either never got the recall, the recall was improperly done or you have an unrelated failure. Stuff does break.

Old 02-21-2014 | 11:07 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

OP, between this issue and the Infotainment system issues that you have posted about I really don't see how you are ever going to be comfortable or happy on this motorcycle. In addition, they seemed to have wound you so tight that your stress level has to be dangerously high. If I were you, I believe I'd seriously consider trading or selling this bike for a different model or brand. Certainly seems as if it might be in your long term best interest.

Old 02-21-2014 | 11:13 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
Ya... an most of us here ride on two wheels!!! So what's yer point Double Breeze??? I thought I was buying a Cool scoot... NOT a Hot Potatoe... Do you spell it with or without the "e"??? What's the Point??? Bikes, Trikes & UniCycles not witstanding... ...??? Thank you Mr. Gibson, I use them as pregnant pauses... & as tension builders... I reckon it's working ............ .......... ..................... ......... ........... . . ........... Harley Davidson Hydraulic Clutch Rushmore Limited Recall Problem Review Rebuild

I "reckon" you are no more than another uneducated moron looking for attention.
Go away boy, you bother me.

Old 02-21-2014 | 11:18 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Originally Posted by mgibson61611
Perhaps you should rethink...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis
No, I don't need to rethink. I know a troll when I see one and I have absolutely no problem calling a troll out.

Old 02-22-2014 | 06:11 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Sometimes cooler heads prevail.

I like my 14 Ultra - glad I purchased it. I had my recall done in October - dealer picked it up right around the time I got the letter. As of now, I have 1800 miles on the bike -all is OK.

While I don't have as much information about the recall as Tim does - I can appreciate his concerns. Plus, he might be providing some important information that might prove helpful to Harley and to us.

Perhaps a different tone might be helpful -but, guys, he too has n opinion - and this is one of the purposes of these boards. You can read his post -or pass on them.

Just y 2 cents.

Old 02-22-2014 | 07:47 AM
TimLScheffer
|
Road Captain

Seriously Though... ???

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 02-22-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2014 | 07:50 AM
Dave Thorpe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by offthewall
As far as I can tell (your posts are very difficult to read with the repeated punctuation and run-on single paragraphs)
I agree, what's up with the constant use of ... ... ... ... ...? Periods and commas are a little easier to read. The high drama expressed in every sentence diminishes the overall impact of the message. I feel sorry for the dealer and service department.

Quick Reply: I have a feeling the roads are gonna be peppered with Stranded Rushmores. WTF Harley?