2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a feeling the roads are gonna be peppered with Stranded Rushmores. WTF Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014 | 10:41 PM
Gunnerdave98
Advanced

Originally Posted by dusturbd
Not sure why everyone makes such a big deal over this, I have been riding for close to 40 years and couldn't tell you how many clutch cables I have had break with no warning its the same deal.

Just need to be on your game and know what to do in an emergency situation, hell I have ridden a bike home 30 miles with no clutch it sucks but can be done.

And I am sure I will get flamed about this comment LOL
Because I'm a fairly new rider (rode a couple different bikes for a few years, 25 years without, and now just a month into a '14 FLHXS) I'll ask the question. I've never had a clutch fail on a bike, but drove a standard transmission car with no clutch from Kansas to Utah. Does a bike without a clutch work similar - fiddle with the throttle and jimmy the shifter until you get it to drop into gear? Reading this thread I got thinking - what would I do if the clutch failed?

Old 02-19-2014 | 10:46 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
25 thousand bikes got the wrong part??? 25 thousand got the recall notice... I am not the Lone Ranger... I spent a lot of money on this bike... A brand spankin new bike... With a problem they knew about... and they let me out on the Freeway with it in Houston Traffic... I had cars going various speeds crawling up my ****... I cain't get it out of gear... I got it in first and hit the starter... drug the bike a few feet with the starter til it snapped on and I took off... Got off the freeway and called the dealer... They said, "Sucks to be you!"... If you can get it to your house We will try to get a truck by to pick up your bike tomorrow... or maybe the next day??? I paid a lot of money for that bike... I'm a little perturbed right now... Harley knows they got a big problem... and they don't give a rats **** it seems... Everybody I talk to is all excited about this bike... How is it? they ask... I am not a very good commercial at this very moment... I'm ticked!
No, 25 thousand bikes didn't have the wrong part. They didn't know what bikes got the wrong part, so they had to recall them all. There was a do not ride order out out. Dealers were told by HD to go and collect every bike and inspect it in order to determine if they had the wrong part. All bikes were inspected. If they had the wrong part, it was replaced. While they were at it, they also rebuilt the master cylinders to address a less serious issue of air possibly getting into the line. That second issue is the one every bike I personally know of had. I don't know anyone who had the wrong part except for one or two I read about here.

IMHO, the MoCo did the right thing when they learned of the possible wrong part. It looks like your dealer may not have done the proper due diligence on your bike's need for the recall. Your dealer sucks.

Old 02-20-2014 | 12:06 AM
14Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gunnerdave98
Because I'm a fairly new rider (rode a couple different bikes for a few years, 25 years without, and now just a month into a '14 FLHXS) I'll ask the question. I've never had a clutch fail on a bike, but drove a standard transmission car with no clutch from Kansas to Utah. Does a bike without a clutch work similar - fiddle with the throttle and jimmy the shifter until you get it to drop into gear? Reading this thread I got thinking - what would I do if the clutch failed?
Good question. Could get a little hairy trying to stop and discover no clutch. Anybody been in this situation?

Old 02-20-2014 | 03:15 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

The closest I have gotten to this was....riding my 04 ultra on the highway..went to change gears and the shifter linkage broke. Fortunately for me, traffic had slowed so I was only in 3rd gear.

Whole matter was pretty easy because I still had clutch. I was able to get off the highway and could ride the clutch to move the bike and continue to a safe stop.

When I stopped, I used those ties to fix the shifter - jut sort of held it together. Rode it back home -about 20 miles or so...replaced the shifter and all was OK.

Old 02-20-2014 | 03:30 AM
WildThang
Road Master

the sky is falling...the sky is falling...

Old 02-20-2014 | 05:08 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Default Yea

After reading through the post I was most afraid of the OP having to ride in Houston Traffic....Clutch or no clutch...keep us posted with the resolution...We really do want to know what or who failed.

Hap

Old 02-20-2014 | 06:41 AM
TimLScheffer
|
Road Captain

I ride a bike in Houston Traffic because of Houston Traffic... I am 45 miles from work... In the morning at 4:30 am it takes me 45 minutes... In the evening in a cage it is up to a two hour ride... Unless I get on the HOV... then it's under an hour... Bike's are allowed on the HOV...

Old 02-20-2014 | 06:57 AM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gunnerdave98

The thing with a car is you can easily get to Neutral, it isn't as easy on a bike... I drove a car through NYC rush hour traffic with a blown slave cylinder and no clutch, want to talk about an interesting ride...

A friend of mine broke her clutch cable on her Triumph and I ended up riding it back to her house years ago and she took my bike. Just have to do everything you can to not have to come to a complete stop.

I have a class A, I'm used to driving with no clutch, I still tend to drive with no clutch on everything manual once I'm moving. The hard part is unless you start in gear you need the clutch to get moving...

Old 02-20-2014 | 07:14 AM
HDReiter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
I ride a bike in Houston Traffic because of Houston Traffic... I am 45 miles from work... In the morning at 4:30 am it takes me 45 minutes... In the evening in a cage it is up to a two hour ride... Unless I get on the HOV... then it's under an hour... Bike's are allowed on the HOV...
One of the main reasons I have a bike in Houston is that I can ride in the HOV.

Be Safe

Old 02-20-2014 | 08:02 AM
TimLScheffer
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by offthewall
No, 25 thousand bikes didn't have the wrong part. They didn't know what bikes got the wrong part, so they had to recall them all. ... Your dealer sucks.
Evidently they didn't recall them all.
Originally Posted by NiteOwlNY
. The hard part is unless you start in gear you need the clutch to get moving...
That's what

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 02-20-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: I have a feeling the roads are gonna be peppered with Stranded Rushmores. WTF Harley?