2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a feeling the roads are gonna be peppered with Stranded Rushmores. WTF Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014 | 07:36 PM
a3dad
Advanced
Default manufacture date?

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
The recalls affect 25,185 Touring motorcycles, models FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTP, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHTKSE and FLHRSE, and 3,861 SoftailŽ CVOs and Trikes, models FLHTCUTG, FXSBSE and FLSTNSE, built between May 3, 2013, and Oct. 14, 2013.
Anyone know how to tell when your bike was built? Anything from the VIN?

Thanks for the sharing the info.

Old 02-19-2014 | 07:40 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain

Not sure why everyone makes such a big deal over this, I have been riding for close to 40 years and couldn't tell you how many clutch cables I have had break with no warning its the same deal.

Just need to be on your game and know what to do in an emergency situation, hell I have ridden a bike home 30 miles with no clutch it sucks but can be done.

And I am sure I will get flamed about this comment LOL

Old 02-19-2014 | 07:50 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

Tim, you can go to HD's web site and click on "Owners" ; "Maintain your bike"; "Recall Info" to see if your bike was affected by the recall and if so was the recall work done. I did not have any problem with mine until it had 2700 miles on it and that was before the recall. The tech bled the system and it was fine for thousands of miles. After the recall was issued I had it done and it's been good for 3000 miles.

Old 02-19-2014 | 07:50 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

Funny part about their notice vs their service manuals, they left out the words serious injury or death.

Old 02-19-2014 | 07:58 PM
harleyjth
Tourer

Funny, my bike came in late October and had a sticker on it denoting that the recall had been already been performed. So, no issue. The dealer delivered my bike, and I've ridden it a little over 3k now. When I carried it in a week after purchase for the 1k service, no open recalls showed up. But then a month or so ago, I get a Recall notification in the mail. I took the bike in and had the dealer check and sure enough, it was showing the recall to be open. So they did the recall - again. Anyway, I've not had a problem. Clutch has worked flawlessly.
jt

Old 02-19-2014 | 08:09 PM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Old 02-19-2014 | 09:12 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
Crap... this clutch thing is gonna kill somebody... I was in slowmoving freeway traffic... I grabbed the clutch to down shift and surprise!!! No clutch... It felt funny and I tapped to down shift... got no shift an the bike died at about 35 mph with traffic of all different speeds crawling up my bum... finally got it in first an limped off the freeway... This is bullcrap!... WTF? I bought my bike after the recall and they assured me the issue had been taken care of... Is there a link to a how to bleed the clutch line somewhere so I can get this thing up to the dealer? I just turned 5k on my Bike... I have a feeling Harleys with Hydroclutches are gonna be stranded all over the place...
I understand your frustration with having a clutch fail while riding, but I doubt the roads will be peppered with broken bikes.

It sounds like your bike didn't get the recall done or it was done improperly. Since the recall, this is the first I've heard of anyone having an issue with a hydraulic clutch. The recall was mostly because of a wrong part from the cable clutch being put into some hydraulic clutch bikes. This caused the complete failure as you're describing. Mine did not have that wrong part but the master cylinder was rebuilt, which I believe was the cause of air getting into the system. Air in the lines gives the feeling of a maladjusted cable in that the clutch grabs right off the grip and doesn't completely disengage. The bike would still be drivable with air in the line, just not comfortable. My 2002 Fat Boy with hydraulic clutch had that issue on installation due to the dealer not properly bleeding the lines. I fixed that myself by a simple bleed. Never had to touch it again for 12 years. Try that with a cable clutch!

The hydraulic clutch is not new to HD's. They have been on CVO's and VRods stock and available as an option from the MoCo for almost 15 years.

Get your dealer to come pick the bike up and get your clutch recall done properly.

Old 02-19-2014 | 09:34 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

exaggerate much? as posted, clutch cables break too. good riders can adapt and overcome

Old 02-19-2014 | 09:38 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dusturbd
Not sure why everyone makes such a big deal over this, I have been riding for close to 40 years and couldn't tell you how many clutch cables I have had break with no warning its the same deal.

Just need to be on your game and know what to do in an emergency situation, hell I have ridden a bike home 30 miles with no clutch it sucks but can be done.

And I am sure I will get flamed about this comment LOL
Lol, I hear yah! I have had to ride one handed countless times over the years fingering bendix carbs with busted throttle cables, and jumped off many a moving motorcycle at intersections, to push the thing just fast enough to hop back on, pop her into gear and speed shift away with a broken clutch cable. But these modern cupcake bikers just don't think that way. If there's a problem, stop, open your cell phone and call a dealer. Oh lord............

Old 02-19-2014 | 10:26 PM
TimLScheffer
|
Road Captain

25 thousand bikes got the wrong part??? 25 thousand got the recall notice... I am not the Lone Ranger... I spent a lot of money on this bike... A brand spankin new bike... With a problem they knew about... and they let me out on the Freeway with it in Houston Traffic... I had cars going various speeds crawling up my ****... I cain't get it out of gear... It stalls... I got it in first and hit the starter... drug the bike a few feet with the starter til it snapped on and I took off... That cain't have been good for the starter... The clutch... or anything else... I Got off the freeway and called the dealer... They said, "Sucks to be you!"... If you can get it to your house We will try to get a truck by to pick up your bike tomorrow... or maybe the next day??? I paid a lot of money for that bike... I'm a little perturbed right now... Harley knows they got a big problem... and they don't give a rats **** it seems... Everybody I talk to is all excited about this bike... How is it? they ask... I am not a very good commercial at this very moment... I'm ticked!

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 02-19-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: I have a feeling the roads are gonna be peppered with Stranded Rushmores. WTF Harley?