2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a feeling the roads are gonna be peppered with Stranded Rushmores. WTF Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014 | 10:14 PM
TheLazyC
Cruiser

My Limited was in the shop for 4 weeks trying to figure out why it ran like crap. I picked it up today and they told me they took care of 3 recalls while they had it. I pulled out of the parking lot and at last it was running right. They replaced the O2 sensor, but 45 minutes later when I was arriving back in my home town at the first stop light, I started down shifting and heard loud "clanks" that I never heard before and it was hard to shift. I sat at the stop light and the clutch was completely against the hand grip and the bike wanted to lunge forward, I could not get it in neutral because I could not get it to change gears at all. I applied the brake to keep from pulling through the red light and the bike stalled and cut off. I restarted as the light turned green and pulled away only to find I could not up shift to second and just about got rear ended, I goosed it in first gear to keep from being ran over and it was all I could do to get it to second gear and struggled with it all the way to my office.

Thirty minutes later, I started bike and headed home, and no problems, it was like back to normal. I parked outside my garage and two hours later, started it back up to put in the garage and it was back to hard to shift and clutch not completely disengaging the transmission and almost went into the back of the garage wall. Could not change gears again and cut it off and I could easily change gears and get it in neutral and walked it to its parking spot.

Does this sound like the same problem? WTH, I only have 3200 miles on my 2014 that was purchased 11/2013 because every time I try to take a trip, i brake down.

This last time it was in the shop for the O2 sensor, it left me on the side of the road in the middle of a heavy down pour of rain and had to trailer it home.

This is getting old...

Old 09-19-2014 | 10:37 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

TheLazyC,
Man I can understand your frustration. That's a lot of problems in such a short time. Yes it sounds like either they didn't actually do the recall, or it didn't work, or the tech made some kind of mistake while doing the work. I would definitely have it towed back in. Don't want to risk any kind of accident. The tow is on their dime after all.

Old 09-19-2014 | 11:59 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheLazyC
My Limited was in the shop for 4 weeks trying to figure out why it ran like crap. I picked it up today and they told me they took care of 3 recalls while they had it. I pulled out of the parking lot and at last it was running right. They replaced the O2 sensor, but 45 minutes later when I was arriving back in my home town at the first stop light, I started down shifting and heard loud "clanks" that I never heard before and it was hard to shift. I sat at the stop light and the clutch was completely against the hand grip and the bike wanted to lunge forward, I could not get it in neutral because I could not get it to change gears at all. I applied the brake to keep from pulling through the red light and the bike stalled and cut off. I restarted as the light turned green and pulled away only to find I could not up shift to second and just about got rear ended, I goosed it in first gear to keep from being ran over and it was all I could do to get it to second gear and struggled with it all the way to my office. Thirty minutes later, I started bike and headed home, and no problems, it was like back to normal. I parked outside my garage and two hours later, started it back up to put in the garage and it was back to hard to shift and clutch not completely disengaging the transmission and almost went into the back of the garage wall. Could not change gears again and cut it off and I could easily change gears and get it in neutral and walked it to its parking spot. Does this sound like the same problem? WTH, I only have 3200 miles on my 2014 that was purchased 11/2013 because every time I try to take a trip, i brake down. This last time it was in the shop for the O2 sensor, it left me on the side of the road in the middle of a heavy down pour of rain and had to trailer it home. This is getting old...
Wow. What a drag. I've had my Limited for a year and have had zero issues. Have you thought about lemon lawing yours?

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-08-2014 | 04:30 AM
TimLScheffer
|
Road Captain

If you have to come out of your own pocket make them replace the clutch master cylinder. The problem is with the cylinder and the way it is tooled. To compensate for that they beefed up the O rings which bought them some time to come up with a real solution. The new O rings are made of a tougher material but they are still being chewed up by the cylinder. So... when the O rings fail; and let hydrolic fluid pass by, has to do with how many times you operate the clutch... I do eighty miles round trip a day across Houston's often Stop and Go traffic... So I operate the clutch more than your average bear... And thus mine failed after the plunger O ring fix. Which is exactly the problem you have. The new Master Cylinder is a retooled one so it doesn't eat the O rings. I predicted that Harley would do a second reacall... Which they did this September. The reason for the second reacall is to inspect your O rings and see where you are and either replace them or replace the master cylinder depending on the type and amount of riding you do. Your average weekend warrior and or pleasure rider won't press the clutch enough times to wear out the O rings before the bike get's out of the two year warranty period at which point the problem will be the responsibility of the Owner and not MOCO saving them billions of dollars and costing you the price of a master cylinder R&R...

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 10-08-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-08-2014 | 08:44 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
If you have to come out of your own pocket make them replace the clutch master cylinder. The problem is with the cylinder and the way it is tooled. To compensate for that they beefed up the O rings which bought them some time to come up with a real solution. The new O rings are made of a tougher material but they are still being chewed up by the cylinder. So... when the O rings fail; and let hydrolic fluid pass by, has to do with how many times you operate the clutch... I do eighty miles round trip a day across Houston's often Stop and Go traffic... So I operate the clutch more than your average bear... And thus mine failed after the plunger O ring fix. Which is exactly the problem you have. The new Master Cylinder is a retooled one so it doesn't eat the O rings. I predicted that Harley would do a second reacall... Which they did this September. The reason for the second reacall is to inspect your O rings and see where you are and either replace them or replace the master cylinder depending on the type and amount of riding you do. Your average weekend warrior and or pleasure rider won't press the clutch enough times to wear out the O rings before the bike get's out of the two year warranty period at which point the problem will be the responsibility of the Owner and not MOCO saving them billions of dollars and costing you the price of a master cylinder R&R...
Tim. That is incorrect. The second recall REPLACES the master cylinder plunger. They don't just look at the o rings and make an arbitrary decision. All master cylinder plungers are replaced.

Old 10-08-2014 | 02:59 PM
TimLScheffer
|
Road Captain

Yes, that's true... and the purpose is to push the problem past the two year warranty so the permanent fix will be paid for by the owners and not MOCO. The Beefed up O rings are a temporary fix as stated in my dissertation. After my first Plunger O ring replacement failure they gave me one of the new master cylinders.

Old 10-08-2014 | 03:11 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior

Yes, that's true... and the purpose is to push the problem past the two year warranty so the permanent fix will be paid for by the owners and not MOCO. The Beefed up O rings are a temporary fix as stated in my dissertation. After my first Plunger O ring replacement failure they gave me one of the new master cylinders.
This isn't a warranty issue. It is a safety recall. They never expire. If people continue to have issues NHSTA will force another recall. Honda recalled all Goldwing's built from 2001 thru 2011 in 2011 because of a rear brake matter cylinder issue. They continued to have the same issue. Honda just recalled all 2001 thru 2012 Goldwing last month to try and fix it again. 2001's have been out of warranty for 10 years. If it's a know issue and they don't fix it they open themselves up to billions of dollars in injury lawsuits. Look at GM and there ignition switches

Old 10-08-2014 | 04:52 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Pure FUD.

Old 10-08-2014 | 08:00 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

I just repaired my hydraulic lift on my outboard. The O rings & Teflon washers were the problem plus air locks.