Sponsored by:

14 Ultra Limited Exhaust consideration and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:03 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timpsonsoldier
I'm trying to decide on exhaust for my Ultra that I pick in in a few months, when I get home. I was looking at the Touring Rinehart Xtreme True Duals and someone said the V&H headers (Dresser Duals or Power Duals) with Rhinehart slip-ons are the way to go. I don't want it to sound like a Volkswagen like the factory exhaust, I also don't think I want it so loud I can't hear the radio at 75 on trips either. Has anyone heard the deader/slip-ons or Rhineharts? Also which would be better performance wise? Looking for opinions please.
This is almost like asking what kind of girl should I date? Everyone will give what they like as a response...but you need to discover this on your own. I heard exhaust that people love and I think is sucks and the other way around. It is best to try and hear and many different pipes on a similar bike as yours as see what YOU really like. As like marriage, you will be stuck with it for awhile..LOL.

Here is my opinion...the stock exhaust on the 2014s don't sound that bad - probably the best I've heard coming off the showroom floor in quite sometime - so you don't need rush right out and change the exhaust like it it the "required" thing to do.... Happy Hunting...

Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Did any of you guys look into s&s exhaust? I'm looking into their black header and race tour mufflers. I dig the fact that they're jet hot'd instead of just powder coated, and the finish is guaranteed for life. Only problem is even on their own website, they only list the exhausts as going up to 2012's. Gotta get a hold of the local distributor and see what he knows, just figured I'd see if anyone already looked into it.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:59 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
I have a Rush True Dual header and Big Louie's. Not so loud you get a headache, but has a good rumble. Rush has several baffles you can choose from to change the sound. Go YouTubing and search for whatever combo your interested in. Just wear some headphones and as long it's a decent recording you'll get the idea. You should look specifically for videos that do before and afters against stock. Law Abiding Biker is one for sure.
I have the same setup, started with 2.5" baffles, and it was a bit loud for my taste. I could hear the stereo north of 90mph though.

I switched to the 2", and love them, with the stereo at 5 marks, cruise set at 78mph I can't hear the exhaust unless I pass a car then I get the rumble resonating back. It does make noise when I grab a handful, however.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Northride
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sixshooter
Did any of you guys look into s&s exhaust? I'm looking into their black header and race tour mufflers. I dig the fact that they're jet hot'd instead of just powder coated, and the finish is guaranteed for life. Only problem is even on their own website, they only list the exhausts as going up to 2012's. Gotta get a hold of the local distributor and see what he knows, just figured I'd see if anyone already looked into it.
I have the S&S chrome header pipes installed - box does say up to 2012 but catalog says 2014 - they fit great and as far as I can tell (haven't ridden yet) at idle they sound fantastic. (race mufflers installed)

Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

Just ordered my S&S setup. Went black header and 4" race tour mufflers with chrome caps to stand out a bit. Should be here next week. All said and done it was just under $1300 out the door. Now I remember why I usually buy my parts lightly used off Craigslist.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:01 PM
YukonCornelius
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Reinhart's 4 inch slip-on's. Love the deep sound and took about 40 minutes to put them on. I can still here the music at all speeds... I did not notice any power range issues, just lost about 2 miles per gallon with them.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:09 AM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just have to say I got the SE Street Cannons installed today and they blew me away. It was exactly the low rumble I was looking for without being obnoxiously loud. If anything I think they sound classy. And they look pretty sharp too. I got the jet black tips put on the chrome pipes. Easy install and no tune needed.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:01 AM
Goldcon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a Thunderheader for the power, but a Thunderheader is not very Radio/Phone friendly! But they sound unreal!!!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

Someone with more touring bike experience wanna answer me a question? Is the way the header mounts of the transmission housing different from '13 to '14? My factory header has a bracket welded to the header that sticks in horizontally towards the trans housing, and there's a 90 degree bracket bolted to the trans cover, then just drop a bolt through the holes and tighten. The s&s pipe doesn't have that tab protruding from the header, it's just a bracket welded flat to the pipes with a slot in it about 3" further back than the factory pipes. Did s&s short me a bracket? There's nothing in the parts bag that is even close to a replacement bracket to bolt to the trans. Got a call in to tech support, but they were gone for the day by the time I realized the issue.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:21 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I had Rinehart true duels on my 07 road glide and crossbacks on my 08 Crossbones I had pitting and fading issues with both pipes. I am trying Cobras this go around lifetime warranty and made in the USA . only got a 100 miles on them so far . nice sound , After the 1000 mile change over to synthetic oil I'm puttin on their head pipes and SE race tuner and getting it tuned

Quick Reply: 14 Ultra Limited Exhaust consideration and thoughts