2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 2" Pullback Bars FLHTK (Pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:25 AM
oldpanzer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was curious how much this would cost to have a dealer do it. About a $130 for the bars but $900 for the labor and cable extensions they said were needed. I think I will be doing this myself.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:54 AM
wenterkin
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid dealer price, $155, for the bars. I figured saving the $800+ the service department wanted was worth staying local. No extras needed. Plenty of slack with the wires and lines. No binding, no re-routing necessary. If you are marginally competent holding a wrench, do it yourself and enjoy the personal satisfaction of saving a pile of cash.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 255 Posts

CRAP!!!

I just put on a set of Klock Werks Ergo Backs on my 14 Tri glide. Everything went fairly smoothly but then as I was checking things out, I found out that the throttle is physically sticky or has friction. Instead of returning to the idle position from part throttle, it seems to hang up before getting there. If you just let go at half throttle or more, it snaps all the way back, but not if you start from less. Reversing it turns the single cylinder at idle setting just fine, too. No codes or anything, so I didn't break the little green plug.

Obviously I screwed up, but how? Anybody have any experience with these TGS things? It's mechanically binding a bit somehow. Maybe something I needed to do to the bars, smooth over a rough edge or they need reamed out at the end or something? Or maybe I pushed the grip on too hard or put the sensor in too hard?

I'm doing some searching, but if anyone has a quick answer on this or knows of a thread addressing it, please let me know. Thanky.

Oh, and other than that, thanks OP, it went fairly well. No extensions needed, but it took a lot of re-routing of wires and lines to get enough length. However, I did NOT run the wiring interally, just not enough to make it all the way on a few things, particularly the heated grip power lead.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:45 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
CRAP!!!

I just put on a set of Klock Werks Ergo Backs on my 14 Tri glide. Everything went fairly smoothly but then as I was checking things out, I found out that the throttle is physically sticky or has friction. Instead of returning to the idle position from part throttle, it seems to hang up before getting there. If you just let go at half throttle or more, it snaps all the way back, but not if you start from less. Reversing it turns the single cylinder at idle setting just fine, too. No codes or anything, so I didn't break the little green plug.

Obviously I screwed up, but how? Anybody have any experience with these TGS things? It's mechanically binding a bit somehow. Maybe something I needed to do to the bars, smooth over a rough edge or they need reamed out at the end or something? Or maybe I pushed the grip on too hard or put the sensor in too hard?

I'm doing some searching, but if anyone has a quick answer on this or knows of a thread addressing it, please let me know. Thanky.

Oh, and other than that, thanks OP, it went fairly well. No extensions needed, but it took a lot of re-routing of wires and lines to get enough length. However, I did NOT run the wiring interally, just not enough to make it all the way on a few things, particularly the heated grip power lead.
For starters you might try loosening the screws on the switch assembly to see if the grip is dragging on the switch housing. Then dig deeper as needed.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:52 PM
wenterkin
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed the original bars have groves that index the sensor in one position, but the replacement bars have an extra notch that allows it to be installed 180 degrees either way. I put mine back in the exact orientation as original, but don't know if this would make any difference.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Found it, fixed it, wasn't my fault

I took off the brake and switches, still had drag. Popped the end cap off, unplugged and pulled the grip. As I was pulling it, it felt like it was dragging, even when almost fully off. So I started looking; from the end, the end of the handlebars where the notches for the TGS are cut was sticking out a bit between two of the notches. Out beyond the flange on the TGS by maybe 1/32" or so. Out of round; like when the notches were punched, it bent the tubing slightly. Or it flattened out or got whacked or something.

That's where it was dragging. With the grip nearly completely off it wanted to pivot around that point, which confirmed it.

So I wrapped the whole end with masking tape and marked where the one 'tab' was sticking out; it was much more obvious with a layer of tape.

Then I got the Dremel out and ground down the offending area; about 3/8" around from the notch at the end of the metal, and maybe 1/4" inward from that one notch, so I ground away a triangle about that big. There was also a very slight 'wire edge' where the bar had been cut off that looked like it may have been high, so I knocked some of that off, too.

Then pulled the tape and used a 3M green scruffy thing to make sure none of the grinding marks were raised any.

Cleaned everything up thoroughly and tried the grip; MUCH BETTER. Still a touch of drag, so I felt where that was coming from and touched it with the grinding bit again.

A little WD40 and it now feels great! No drag, very smooth. I made sure that the switch pack wasn't rubbing on either face of the retaining ring on the grip.

So, if anyone else has this problem, there's another thing to check.

Hey, it's almost 50 out; time for a test ride! Pics of the new bars later. Thanks, guys!

Old 03-22-2015, 07:15 PM
HD-Limited
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JT
That was a great thread you wrote on installing Pullback bars on FLHTK, with PICs, thanks for that.
I was wanting to know if you also lowered your bikes suspension. If you did, how did you do it? I’m thinking or buying 12” rear shocks for mine. I was in Daytona for bike week and my HD dealer let me take both the reduced reach, and the super reduced reach seat with me and try them out. I liked the way the super reduced seat moved me forward and down, I was much more in control of the bike, but I could not ride for hours sitting on either seat, and my wife complained about both seats too. So I’m back to the original seat and need to reach the handle bars and the ground easier.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 AM
SpiderGuard
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the same bars ACLaser did, http://www.khromewerks.com/SWEEPER-B...1029-1276.html, (along with heated grips) on my 14 Ultra. I too was concerned with the wrist angle of the HD pullbacks and had tested them out on a limited low. The Khromewerks sweepers are perfect for me. Having the heated grips is a nice bonus too.

The install took about 3 hours and had no issues. I did struggle with the installation instructions on the grips. Even the local dealer told me I needed an additional harness (No, you do not!). It was plug and play.

Thanks to JT and AC for all the info!

Last edited by SpiderGuard; 03-31-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:05 AM
CrashTest 007
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outstanding job, thanks for sharing!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:35 PM
ACLazer
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderGuard
I installed the same bars ACLaser did, http://www.khromewerks.com/SWEEPER-B...1029-1276.html, (along with heated grips) on my 14 Ultra. I too was concerned with the wrist angle of the HD pullbacks and had tested them out on a limited low. The Khromewerks sweepers are perfect for me. Having the heated grips is a nice bonus too.

The install took about 3 hours and had no issues. I did struggle with the installation instructions on the grips. Even the local dealer told me I needed an additional harness (No, you do not!). It was plug and play.

Thanks to JT and AC for all the info!

Your welcome, glad you like them, I really like mine too. Thanks JT
http://www.khromewerks.com/SWEEPER-B...1029-1276.html

https://www.denniskirk.com/khrome-we...rd/5900148.sku
Free Shipping on orders over $89

Last edited by ACLazer; 03-31-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing 2" Pullback Bars FLHTK (Pics included)