Sponsored by:

Just turned 5K on my 2014 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Just turned 5K (Review) on my 2014 Ultra Limited Wethead

I have a bit of a problem with the Security Alarm system... If you walk away from the bike with FOB after you start it the flashers come on and can only be turned off by pulling the fuse... On the O7 I could walk away with the FOB after starting it...The volume up and down according to speed does not work either... Have not yet hit the dealer up on these problems but I have seen others posting the same problems... ........... .... ............................. ... .............. .... ... ... ........... ..... .. ... ... .. . . ....... ..... ........... ....................... ....."Cancel Route Guidance"Very important command to remember... On the screen there is no b"utton apparent to cancel the Route guidance... There are buttons that take you to the nearest Harley Dealer that if accidentally hit, will send the bike in a frenzy telling you where to turn to get there... I was in traffic when this happened to me, so I just dealt with it til I could pull over and shut the radio down... any how, Hit the voice command button which is the right side of the left blinker button...and say "Cancel Route Guidance"... The Phone works really well but you have to have the head set to speak... You can hear the other person over the bike speakers but you have no mike... You can go to settings and change any sound from outside speakers to helmet.. Radio, Phone, or CB... I have 3/4 Helmet with a face shield... I have not changed out my pipes yet so when I call folks they don't even know I'm on the Bike unless I tell em so... I also like that I can hit the voice command button and say, "Tune to 106.9" and it does... They told me the old headsets would not work... They only give you one with the bike... In your negotiations make em throw in a second one... Anyhow I tried the old headset and it worked just fine.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................... .... .... I dinged my bag already... I was used to having the bag guard rails... When I popped the pins out on my 07 the bag rested in the rails... I grabbed both pins to pop it off... and I was left holding the pins and watching my bag ding the ground... Dinged the paint on top the lid... be careful of you were used to doing it that way... I don't know why they got rid of the rails... I really liked them.... ........... ......... ........................... .................................................. ......................................... ........................................ ... ... ....I have seen where others have had coolant leaks but mine has not done this yet... The dealer did call me to tell me there was a service bulletin to replace the filler neck on one of my coolant bottles but I have not done that yet either... Waiting to get several things to bring it in for before I take it out of service as I ride it everyday rain or shine... ............... .......... .............. ............ .............. ... ......................... .... .. . . ..................The stock seat I could not do more than a 100 miles on... I demo'ed a Hammock... The hammock as a strap on the inside that you are suspended on which rocks back & forth... That strap cut marks on both sides of my butt... I ended up with an 08 & later Zeppelin Air Ride... The book sez it won't fit, but it does... sorta... The lid of the left bag barely does not clear the controls on the seat, but the controls are housed in a plastic frame that you can push in and swing the lid by... Compared to the other seats the Zep is butt ****, it supports your hips on both sides... another plus is it goes up and down two inches... The wife can raise up all the way and I air down so she can see over... when it gets windy I raise up and she airs down so I block wind for her... It is not quite as comfortable as the one I had on my 07, but It's the best I found so far... A lot of folks don't like it's looks... but hey this is a Touring Bike... not a Sportster... It's all about comfort... ......................... ... ..I just swapped to the tallest Clearview recurve wind screen... but have not taken it for a spin yet... I'll let you know how that turns out................. ..................... .............. .................................................. ........ ................................... .... ..... .... .. ..................How does it handle compared to the previous frames??? This Bike is easier to ride but not as much fun as my 07... They changed the angle of the dangle by making the forks longer or something... Doing the same curves as I did on my 07 the Bike does not lay over as far... I can actually turn the same curves as a higher speed? Anyhow the 07 was kinda like pulling a gyroscope around a curve... This one is balanced different so you don't lean over as far... But it's nimbleness comes with a price... A unicycle has a tighter turning radius than a two wheeler but is less stable... The 14 is kinda like that... The slightest movement of the bars wobbles the bike up and down in a curve... Which at high speeds is bit unnerving, unlike the gyroscope stability feel of my 07 Ultra... Once you got the feel of the 07, it was fun to pull G's in a curve... When pulling G's on the 14 in a curve, it wobbles up an down and feels like it wants to flop to the outside... I think the center of gravity is lower to the ground which makes it easier to ride at low speeds but that takes away from the stability at high speeds... Perhaps I just ain't lern't to ride it yet... Don't get me wrong... I love the Wethead... but I'm just not one with it like I was with my 07 after 70 thousand miles... Se LA Vee... I am getting older so I guess I do appreciate the necessity of less braun to maneuver it... It's power out of the box is the best of any Harley I've sat on... You don't feel you need to make any Modifications to it... The 1st change will be screamin eagle clutch plates... I had em on my 07 and anything after that feels like mush... The biggest plus in my opinion, is the linked braking system... over 35 mph both brakes come on ABS no matter which one you hit... I got in a situation where I put a pretty good test to the linked ABS and I believe it saved my skin... There is something to be said about retaining steering and traction in a full on brake situation... October before last I got hit head on by a Drunk Driver... I believe I could have avoided the impact had I had this linked ABS... If I could get linked ABS on my 07 I'd still be riding it... I've heard complaints about the headlight but I like it just fine... I just turned 5k on my 14 Wethead... The rumble is tamed a little also... The Milwaukee Vibrator effect is not what it was on the 07... Wife noticed that before I did... This motor almost has a Metric feel and sound... same with the suspension... ??? At my age I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing... The Jury is still out... Bravo on the linked ABS though!... ..................... .......................... ......................... .................................................. ........ ............ ... ... . The 1st pic is the Icon you need to hit to cancel the Route Guidance/GPS voices... Clicking that Icon Pic 1 will take you to a second screen where you click STOP. It would have been too easy to put the stop or cancel button on the map screen... The 2nd pic is the right bar controls... To cancel the Route Guidance/gps voices use the toggle switch (pic 4) the one with the down left arrow toggles the highlight bar... pushing it in is the equivalent of clicking a mouse.. Once you figure out how to use that toggle click button ya got half the battle won... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................. ........... ........ ........ ... ... .... .. .. Operating the Hazard lights accidentally... The top left switch on (pic 2) is the "Start" button on the bottom & the hazard lights on top.... I had been inadvertently hitting the hazard light button while dismounting the bike and it was driving me crazy, because if you turn off the key with the Hazards on you can not then turn them off with turning the key switch back on................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .. ... You will want to get a short USB extension to plug yer phone in... The one on the bike is short... plus if you bugger the plug from frequent pluggin and unpluggin... You just get a new extension... The 3rd pic is the Hottest Biker Babe I ever laid eyes on n my ole lady of 35 yrs sittin on our 14 Wethead............ .............................. ...................... ..................In order to hook up the Air Zeppelin Seat I had to purchase 69200722 (pic 5) http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ion-update-kit... The is a plug in the fuse box on the left side of the bike... There are actually two plugs in there, one for the computer hookup & the other for accessories. If you want to hook up more than one device they sell a splitter Harley-Davidson® Switched Circuit Adapter Harness 70264-94A

Attached Thumbnails Just turned 5K on my 2014 Ultra Limited-1-nav-pics-2-.jpg   Just turned 5K on my 2014 Ultra Limited-1-nav-pics-4-.jpg   Just turned 5K on my 2014 Ultra Limited-sherri-galveston-bike.jpg   Just turned 5K on my 2014 Ultra Limited-1-nav-pics-3-.jpg   Just turned 5K on my 2014 Ultra Limited-1-harley.jpg  

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 02-26-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 PM
jstrenn
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can answer your question about canceling the route guidance. On the map screen, on the lower right hand side, you will see a menu button (looks like 4 dots with 4 dashes after them) Push that. If you have an active route, the top button should say stop. Push that and it cancels the route guidance. Took me a while to find it too.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like you got lots going on while riding..Hope you get it sorted out. I've got a couple thousand miles on mine and I gotta say handles better than my 2010 and 2013 Ultras. I have the Ultra not the Limited. 6.5 with nav is nice but happy with the 4.3. Being in Michigan the bikes been in the garage since Nov.16th and CANNOT wait to ride it again.
Ride Often,Ride Safe.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Default Flasher Problem...

Crap... this clutch thing is gonna kill somebody... I was in slowmoving freeway traffic... I grabbed the clutch to down shift and surprise!!! No clutch... It felt funny and I tapped to down shift... got no shift an the bike died at about 35 mph with traffic of all different speeds crawling up my bum... I put it in neutral & tried to bump 1st with no clutch... It lurched like a porpoise n died... I put it in 1st n dragged it with the starter til it started and limped off the freeway... This is bullcrap!... WTF? I bought my bike after the recall and they assured me the issue had been taken care of... Is there a link to a how to bleed the clutch line somewhere so I can get this thing up to the dealer? I just turned 5k on my Bike... I have a feeling Harleys with Hydroclutches are gonna be stranded all over the place...No problem at all with the the clutch for five thousand miles... Then bam... with no warning... No Clutch... There was a recall on 25k Bikes.. Apparently they have no Idea which bikes have a part meant for hard cabled bikes... They discovered them in bikes built in a particular time frame... Not all the bikes built in that time frame have the problem... The only way to determine which ones have it is to take the master cylinder apart and do a visual inspection... They may be giving you the run around on what they did to avoid the lemon law.. If a specific part is replaced 3 times you got a lemon... If you bring it in 3 times for a clutch problem and they replace 3 different parts, the lemon law does not apply... I have read several testimonies where the dealer took in a bike... bled the system... put it back on the road... then rebuilt the master cylinder (maybe) the second time it came it... So if they don't replace any parts, it is not technically a rebuild... It's a take it apart and put it back together bleed the system... The bleeding has to bee done after you take apart... I really don't understand that one unless there is a part bottleneck and they are pushing them out the door knowing they will come back later when hopefully they are caught up on parts... That's pure speculation on my part... I sure hope they are not doing this. This is a voluntary recall by the way... They bought theirself some breathing room doing it voluntarily... Anybody buying a 14 manufactured prior to 2014 either make em show you the paperwork that this bike was inspected for this problem... or make em rebuild before you drive it out... For peace of mind... otherwise you might find cages crawling up yer **** as you lock it up with a motor stall... hopefully on dry pavement... ;-)............... ......................... ......................... ..................................... . .................................................. . . .. Update Here we go round the Mulberry bush... The Service Dude told me my bike was at the factory when the recall went down and that they took care of the problem at the factory... I kept pressing him for info as to exactly what they did at the factory to rectify the problem... He said they replaced the inappropriate part... He did not know exactly what part it was... but they replaced it... My bike left the factory November 12... The Recall came out October 16th... The Dealer tech found the problem to be a leaky master cylinder and called the factory rep... The factory rep said to replace the master cylinder... They don't have one at the dealer and won't be able to procure one til next tuesday... Today is thursday... WTF... They got a known problem... and they don't keep that part in stock??? I told the Service writer I wanted the written documentation for the work they did at the factory.... He called me back about 30 minutes later to tell me, "A" they did not have a loaner for me and "B" they would not be able to get documentation on the work done on the master cylinder... He assured me though that this bike had the sticker they put on 'em to let the dealer know that the recall work had been performed??? I'm smellin a rat & I'm ticked... He also fed me a line that the wrong part was installed only on the CVO's so this was a different issue... Seriously??? Then why did they recall bikes with a No Ride Warning that were not CVO's...What's goin on here batman??? Either they just put a sticker on it & pushed it out the door...or they screwed up the repair... or they still got a problem with this thing and they ain't tellin us??? I almost did a face plant on I-10 when it failed... They put me on the road on a time bomb... If you are gonna buy one of these pigs manufactured in 2013... require they give you documentation that the master cylinder has been rebuilt???? Actually I'd make 'em put a new one on knowing what I know now... The more I think about it the angrier I get. The out of place part is an actuating rod meant for a cabled bike... 91500065 They tell us it was a rebuild... The truth is they have to take the thing apart to see if it's put together wrong... Some are, some arn't... an they need a rebuild kit to put it back together... then they have to bleed it... So if you had no problem, they took it apart, inspected, put it back together... & bled the system... The Rushmore Project is self described as a program to move a product from table to rider faster... using rider input... Let me translate... They made test riders out of the Harley Owners group... and contrary to paying them... the make us pay for the privilege of being test riders...

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 02-21-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I wish I had known about that route guidance button. I rented one last week and the GPS was driving me nuts. I own a 2014, but it just sits in the garage with 0 miles. We flew south to get warm and rented a bike. Loved the brakes immediately and the engine too. I will just need to spend some time with the GPS/Radio to get used to it.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could get 500 miles on mine, I've managed 113 in the 3 weeks I've owned it. We just had a foot of snow dumped on us and more to come...

I guess it's ok since the dealer picked it up because with about 70 miles on the odometer and sub 40 degree temp I was riding in the heated grips died. I'm hoping to be able to physically go pick it up and ride home but the weather up here in the Northeast is nasty.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here- bikes been covered in her blankly since early December. Took delivery on Halloween and was just about to hit 1k when all the snow a salt hit.
This sucks! I am glad to hear that others are able to get out and put some mies on their bikes.

To he OP, sorry to hear about your issues. I have been fairly lucky so far with no issues, except for an larger than expected gap between my outer and inner fairing just under the right mirror. Having the dealer look at this at my 1k service.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timlscheffer
i have a bit of a problem with the security alarm system... If you walk away from the bike with fob after you start it the flashers come on and can only be turned off by pulling the fuse... On the o7 i could walk away with the fob after starting it...the volume up and down according to speed does not work either... Have not yet hit the dealer up on these problems but i have seen others posting the same problems... "cancel route guidance" very important command to remember... On the screen there is no button apparent to cancel the route guidance... There are buttons that take you to the nearest harley dealer that if accidentally hit, will send the bike in a frenzy telling you where to turn to get there... I was in traffic when this happend to me, so i just dealt with it til i could pull over and shut the radio down... Any how, hit the voice command button which is the right side of the left blinker button...and say "cancel route guidance"... The phone works really well but you have to have the head set to speak... You can hear the other person over the bike speakers but you have no mike... You can go to settings and change any sound from outside speakers to helmet.. Radio, phone, or cb... I have 3/4 helmet with a face shield... I have not changed out my pipes yet so when i call folks they don't even know i'm on the bike unless i tell em so... I also like that i can hit the voice command button and say, "tune to 106.9" and it does... I have seen where others have had coolant leaks but mine has not done this yet... The dealer did call me to tell me there was a service bulletin to replace the filler neck on one of my coolant bottles but i have not done that yet either... Waiting to get several things to bring it in for before i take it out of service as i ride it everyday rain or shine... this bike is easier to ride but not as much fun as my 07... They changed the angle of the dangle by making the forks longer or something... doing the same curves as i did on my 07 the bike does not lay over as far... I can actually turn the same curves as a higher speed? Anyhow the 07 was kinda like pulling a gyroscope around a curve... This one is balanced different so you don't lean over as far... But it's nimbleness comes with a price... A unicycle has a tighter turning radius than a two wheeler but is less stable... The 14 is kinda like that... The slightest movement of the bars wobbles the bike up and down in a curve... Which at high speeds is bit unnerving, unlike the gyroscope stability feel of my 07 ultra... Once you got the feel of the 07, it was fun to pull g's in a curve... When pulling g's on the 14 in a curve, it wobbles up an down and feels like it wants to flop to the outside... I think the center of gravity is lower to the ground which makes it easier to ride at low speeds but that takes away from the stability at high speeds... Perhaps i just ain't lern't to ride it yet... Don't get me wrong... I love the wethead... But i'm just not one with it like i was with my 07 after 70 thousand miles... Se la vee... I am getting older so i guess i do appreciate the necessity of less braun to maneuver it... The biggest plu in my opinion, is the linked braking system... Over 35 mph both brakes come on abs no matter which one you hit... I got in a situation where i put a pretty good test to the linked abs and i believe it saved my skin... I just turned 5k on my 14 wethead... The rumble is tamed a little also... The milwaukee vibrator effect is not what it was on the 07... Wife noticed that before i did... This motor almost has a metric feel and sound... Same with the suspension... ??? At my age i don't know if that is a good or a bad thing... The jury is still out... Bravo on the linked abs though!
tfldr

Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Default Link to pics of how to stop the Route guidance manually

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/member...stem-pics.html

Old 02-14-2014, 10:06 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '07 Ultra vs 2014 Limited

I totally agree with the vibration being less than the '07. I had a '07 Ultra and honestly enjoyed riding that bike more than my 2014 limited so far. The engine vibrations got worse the longer I had it. I feel it was caused by the crank run-out issues. I still miss that bike at times, even with the extra vibrations. But with saying all that, I absolutely love the difference in the power of the 2014. It does handle differently and it's taking some getting used to. It took me a while to get used to the '07 and I'm hoping that when Springtime gets here I'll be able to get some real saddle time and become as comfortable with the Limited. It has a lot going for it, except for that POS headlight!!! Who in the hell thought that headlight was a good idea??? I'd fire them on the spot!!

Quick Reply: Just turned 5K on my 2014 Ultra Limited