2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added the SoftBrake pedal to the SGS yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:38 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Added the SoftBrake pedal to the SGS yesterday

and all I can say is why can't the moco fit these as standard? I always felt something wasn't quite right with the brakes. I was having some difficulty coming to a smooth stop sometimes. I attributed it to the newer brakes and figured I would get used to it. Once I installed the SoftBrake pedal, I knew what the problem was. I can now simply slid my foot forward and raise my toe to apply the brakes in a downward motion, rather than pick up my foot and push the pedal forward. This is more like the action on my '06 and a much more natural feel.

Can't wait to try it out on the road. As soon as this winter crap clears out. Hopefully by the week-end.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Zonked
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is this witch craft you speak of!!!

I blamed it on my broken leg (They didn't align my foot quite right when they put the rod in the bone, now my right foot is rotated out about 5deg).It is quite annoying having to lift your foot to brake.

This is my first Harley, and first bike with floor boards, I am going to look into this!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:43 AM
harleyjth
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put one on my Ultra. The original brake pedal was virtually useless to me as I'm 6'-2 with long legs. Great addition to the bike. This is how it should have been from the factory!
jt

Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

and just for the record folks, I'm around 5'5". To me it's a matter of angle. The SoftBrake makes braking seem like a natural action. Can't wait to get some miles on it.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 AM
ofan
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put one on my new SGS as well and have a few hundred miles of use with it. It is much more comfortable and my stopping is more controlled. With the angle of the stock pedal, I couldn't naturally ease on to it. The biggest benefit is the pedal is not in the way of my floorboard and I can use my highway pegs easier. I agree, there should have been a splined shaft on the stock one so you could adjust it to a better angle. Not sure what size rider they were targeting with the design. Maybe the engineer has stock in Softbrake???

Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

fyi, I am 5'10 and the brake pedal is perfectly angled for me. MOCO probably should have made it adjustable.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Everyone has been talking bout this, but I really haven't noticed.

I know I don't have to lift my foot to get to the brake... maybe my boot heels are higher or something.

I do like being able to get my toe under the peddle to use the whole floorboard.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:07 PM
thirstybob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d-streetglidr
and all I can say is why can't the moco fit these as standard? I always felt something wasn't quite right with the brakes. I was having some difficulty coming to a smooth stop sometimes. I attributed it to the newer brakes and figured I would get used to it. Once I installed the SoftBrake pedal, I knew what the problem was. I can now simply slid my foot forward and raise my toe to apply the brakes in a downward motion, rather than pick up my foot and push the pedal forward. This is more like the action on my '06 and a much more natural feel.

Can't wait to try it out on the road. As soon as this winter crap clears out. Hopefully by the week-end.
I've used mine for a few hundred miles. I'm 6'2" and love it, perfect fit for me and money well spent for sure.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Which model # did you buy?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard other talk about this as well but never noticed either. I normally ride with my heal on the footboard and my toes on the hwy pegs. When in this position I just rotate my foot in toward the brake pedal and apply pressure, then rotate back to hwy peg.

Quick Reply: Added the SoftBrake pedal to the SGS yesterday