Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 Street Glide ABS light with linked brakes issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014 | 12:04 PM
Cdcrwfrd
Stage II

Originally Posted by Roc
So this fixed your ABS light? Have you put many miles on after this.
I have this same problem too with my PM 23/17 setup. I also experienced some front lever kickback in the beginning like ABS activating at lo speeds.
This might be groundbreaking Kesean!
So Roc did you get your ABS issue figured out? I have a 14 special with the same 23/17 set and giving me the blues! I had an issue where the front brake lever locked had no brake except the rear rolled right into traffic I was lucky, appreciate any feed back

Old 04-07-2014 | 12:13 PM
Roc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cdcrwfrd
So Roc did you get your ABS issue figured out? I have a 14 special with the same 23/17 set and giving me the blues! I had an issue where the front brake lever locked had no brake except the rear rolled right into traffic I was lucky, appreciate any feed back
I still didn't figure this out. No changes after 200 miles.
Only had the front brake lever kickback in the beginning.
I tried hitting brakes hard to see if ABS activates, no luck yet. guess I need to really hittem hard. Stops quick tho. I think I would feel better if I knew it was just the light and the ABS does work. I'm not buying into changing the rear wheel just yet.

Old 04-07-2014 | 01:07 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bagged Out
Just picked up my '14 SGS this weekend. Dealer installed a 21" front wheel before purchase.
ABS light blinked and went off as the book states.
As i was riding home on the freeway the ABS came on and stayed on the rst of the ride home.
Taking it back to the dealer and will advise.
Good deal. Did you just do the front or both wheels? Let me know what they tell you.

Old 04-07-2014 | 03:54 PM
Wingstop18
Novice

I just talked with RC Components again about the ABS light issue. They say that they have tried almost every possible rear wheel/tire combination on a new 14 running a 21 inch front. On the bike they just tested, they could not get the light to come on no matter what. That was with a 21 up front and everything from the stock 16 to an 18 rear.
As far as running a 23 front, there is no rear combination that will make the linked brakes happy. It looks like we have a choice of going to a 21 or hoping HD will offer a fix.

Old 04-07-2014 | 04:00 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Wingstop18
I just talked with RC Components again about the ABS light issue. They say that they have tried almost every possible rear wheel/tire combination on a new 14 running a 21 inch front. On the bike they just tested, they could not get the light to come on no matter what. That was with a 21 up front and everything from the stock 16 to an 18 rear.
As far as running a 23 front, there is no rear combination that will make the linked brakes happy. It looks like we have a choice of going to a 21 or hoping HD will offer a fix.
I think the answer is what Kesean has stated a few times on here. It's a wheel speed sensor problem.

I've got my dealership looking into this for my 23 / 16 setup.

Originally Posted by Kesean
Ok rode over 800 miles this weekend with the fix I posted earlier. No issues at all. For those that missed it here you go:

Sensor, Wheel Speed
part# 40615-08

Ball Bearing 25mm ID/18M
part # 9252

The second part corresponds to the PM Wheels. Other wheels might need a different part number from what I understand from Old Glory HD.

Old 04-07-2014 | 07:36 PM
Cdcrwfrd
Stage II

Originally Posted by Roc
I still didn't figure this out. No changes after 200 miles.
Only had the front brake lever kickback in the beginning.
I tried hitting brakes hard to see if ABS activates, no luck yet. guess I need to really hittem hard. Stops quick tho. I think I would feel better if I knew it was just the light and the ABS does work. I'm not buying into changing the rear wheel just yet.
What up Roc, I have a close friend that works at Harley and he's taking this problem on, It looks like it's gonna come down to us waiting on harley to come out with an update, I think what I'm gonna do in the mean time is buy two brake lines by pass the abs system flash the system to tell it there's no abs so I don't get the abs light and run a conventional brake system until if or when harley shows us some mercy then go back to abs at that time. I tell you it's plays on my mind to ride and go grab the brake and it's stiff as hell, lol any info I receive I will be sure to post

Old 05-24-2014 | 02:02 PM
Wingstop18
Novice

Has anybody found a fix or even heard any new info on this issue?

Old 05-24-2014 | 06:14 PM
Bagged Out
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Kesean
Good deal. Did you just do the front or both wheels? Let me know what they tell you.
Dealer changed to 21" front wheel before I bought it. Rear was still stock. They have ponied up and ordered all parts for the 18" replacement setup including matching rear rim.
Parts are due next week.
I will post results afterwards.

Old 06-01-2014 | 07:43 PM
DenisCx
Stage I

Originally Posted by Dvdhotboy
We'll I was thinking, If there are wheel sensors that calculate wheel speed wouldn't that make it a problem while trying to dyno? Anybody dyno a 14? Did if throw a dtc? Just a thought....
Yes, it did

Old 06-02-2014 | 01:10 PM
Dvdhotboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DenisCx
Yes, it did
Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: '14 Street Glide ABS light with linked brakes issue