Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 Street Glide ABS light with linked brakes issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014 | 09:34 AM
Hogpro
|
Former Sponsor

So I just talked to my customer who's issue caused me to start this thread. His bike has been at Ft Worth Harley for a few weeks as they try to figure this out. His wheels are 21x3.5 front and 17x6.25 rear. He also got the two front matching brake rotors (11.8")

The Harley dealer took out the bearing setup that PM uses on the front wheel and rode the bike. They still had the same issue. Then they put on a stock rear wheel with a harley ABS bearing. This supposedly alleviated the issue. Thus the next step they are going to take is to put a Harley ABS bearing in the PM rear wheel. My customer has not heard the results of this yet.

He was told they got the same information from PM tech as I did and tried that to no avail. This kind of situation is always more difficult to find a solution to when you (or I) are not the people doing the specific work as everything comes as here say and who knows if each person that has provided the information to the next has continued to give the information exactly was it was given to them.

I am going to call Ft Worth Harley (hats off to them for taking the time to do this work) and talk to whomever is dealing with this if possible as well. It seems like all is still speculation at this point in time from my research. If anyone else has had this issue and found a solution please let me know.

Old 02-27-2014 | 11:00 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hogpro
So I just talked to my customer who's issue caused me to start this thread. His bike has been at Ft Worth Harley for a few weeks as they try to figure this out. His wheels are 21x3.5 front and 17x6.25 rear. He also got the two front matching brake rotors (11.8")

The Harley dealer took out the bearing setup that PM uses on the front wheel and rode the bike. They still had the same issue. Then they put on a stock rear wheel with a harley ABS bearing. This supposedly alleviated the issue. Thus the next step they are going to take is to put a Harley ABS bearing in the PM rear wheel. My customer has not heard the results of this yet.

He was told they got the same information from PM tech as I did and tried that to no avail. This kind of situation is always more difficult to find a solution to when you (or I) are not the people doing the specific work as everything comes as here say and who knows if each person that has provided the information to the next has continued to give the information exactly was it was given to them.

I am going to call Ft Worth Harley (hats off to them for taking the time to do this work) and talk to whomever is dealing with this if possible as well. It seems like all is still speculation at this point in time from my research. If anyone else has had this issue and found a solution please let me know.

Waiting to see what they tell you.....

Old 02-27-2014 | 11:54 AM
Hogpro
|
Former Sponsor

Apparently they are going to try replacing the ABS module (under left side cover) next. The service manager whom is working on this issue was off work today.

Old 02-27-2014 | 01:30 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hogpro

Thanks for keeping us up to speed. I had a chance to get out and ride this past weekend again and still no abs light. I'm running 19 and 18 agitators with HD bearings. Sounds like it may be the rear bearing causing the light to go off.

Old 02-27-2014 | 01:33 PM
Hogpro
|
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the info Brian. If the mods could move this to the Rushmore section that would be great. I started the thread before that section was created.

Thank you!

Old 02-28-2014 | 05:48 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
Thanks for keeping us up to speed. I had a chance to get out and ride this past weekend again and still no abs light. I'm running 19 and 18 agitators with HD bearings. Sounds like it may be the rear bearing causing the light to go off.
I'm hoping that is the case....

Old 03-09-2014 | 08:54 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

HogPro did you ever hear back from your customer? I took my bike in yesterday and they determined it was the rear sensor after checking the codes. They didn't have one in stock so once they change it out we'll see if that is the fix. Should be in this week. Just changing the PM bearing to a HD bearing.

Old 03-09-2014 | 10:44 AM
sixshooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by thirstybob
Not to insult anyones intelligence but the light comes on at start up and blinks until you get up to about 10 mph then shuts off.
^this is why I love forums. I just got my SGS delivered a few days ago and took it out of the garage for the first time for some pics. When I started it, the abs light wouldn't stop blinking and I was like "dammit, it's already broken?!?" Haha. Thanks! Now I just gotta figure out why my infotainment came on with the key but went off after I started it and now I can't get it back on.

Old 03-14-2014 | 11:49 AM
Hogpro
|
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kesean
HogPro did you ever hear back from your customer? I took my bike in yesterday and they determined it was the rear sensor after checking the codes. They didn't have one in stock so once they change it out we'll see if that is the fix. Should be in this week. Just changing the PM bearing to a HD bearing.
Kesean, thanks for the info on teh rear ABS sensor. This whole thing is still really strange as there has not been one consistent fix for this inconsistent "issue". One person advises me to ride the bike at a certain speed, another advises to use a tire with a different profile and yet another says the rear ABS pick up fixed it.

There is still something strange as I have only had two customer out of probably 100 with this issue with a 14 with ABS. One of my coworkers was talking to a tech at Jacksonville HD yesterday who is supposedly trying to figure this "issue" out as well. I put "issue" in quotes as it has not been a consistent problem, only two people have had that I have dealt with.

If anyone else has anyone other "solutions" please let us know.

Old 03-14-2014 | 02:26 PM
mgibson61611
Tourer

-----

Quick Reply: '14 Street Glide ABS light with linked brakes issue