2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 Street Glide ABS light with linked brakes issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014 | 06:06 PM
cfreeze
Cruiser

Found this in the manual. BMW bikes seem to have the same problem when changing the diameter of the wheel.

ABS equipped motorcycles must always use properly inflated
tires and wheels that are the same as the original equipment.
The ABS system monitors rotational speed of the wheels
through individual wheel speed sensors to determine the
application of ABS.

Different diameter wheels or tires can:
• Alter the rotational speed which can upset the calibration
of the ABS.
• Adversely affect its ability to detect and prevent lockups.

The ECU will have to be re- flashed for a 21,23 etc wheel. Don't know if harley will even offer this?

Last edited by cfreeze; 02-09-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2014 | 09:12 PM
Hogpro
|
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cfreeze
Found this in the manual. BMW bikes seem to have the same problem when changing the diameter of the wheel.

ABS equipped motorcycles must always use properly inflated
tires and wheels that are the same as the original equipment.
The ABS system monitors rotational speed of the wheels
through individual wheel speed sensors to determine the
application of ABS.

Different diameter wheels or tires can:
• Alter the rotational speed which can upset the calibration
of the ABS.
• Adversely affect its ability to detect and prevent lockups.

The ECU will have to be re- flashed for a 21,23 etc wheel. Don't know if harley will even offer this?
Thanks for the info. The problem with this is that I have a 2013 with ABS and have no issues with my 21" wheel. My customer put on a 21" wheel as well on his 14 and has an issue. Thus is it something to do with the linked brakes?

ABS has never posed a problem in the past regardless of the size of the wheel. 21,23,26,30 have all been fine.

Old 02-09-2014 | 09:27 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

I'm pretty sure forum member Stylez has installed new wheels with a 21" on a 2014 SG Special. You perhaps could PM him to see if he had or has any issues.

Old 02-11-2014 | 10:05 PM
cfreeze
Cruiser

Hogpro, you're right it has every thing to do with the linked system.

because its an electronic controlled link controlled by the ECU.

The good news is its a reflashable ECU, so we just need harley to wright a reflash for larger wheels.

I'm having the same problem with a 23 right now.

Old 02-17-2014 | 07:17 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cfreeze
Hogpro, you're right it has every thing to do with the linked system.

because its an electronic controlled link controlled by the ECU.

The good news is its a reflashable ECU, so we just need harley to wright a reflash for larger wheels.

I'm having the same problem with a 23 right now.
So reflashing is the fix for this problem?

Old 02-17-2014 | 07:51 PM
Hogpro
|
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kesean
So reflashing is the fix for this problem?

Hmmmm. Waiting on Harley requires patience. We'll see. I talked to a potential customer about this today and my answer was "I don't know." I really don't like telling people I don't know the answer but honesty is always the best policy.

When I know more I will obviously let everyone here know. What I really need is a 14 model with ABS to mock a wheel up on and ride to see what happens. Anyone in the area game? I am sure I can find a way to compensate you for your time.

You must have ABS and we will need to ride the bike a bit at highway speeds to see what happens. My local guy with a 14 is selling or already sold his for a new corvette unfortunately or I would use his.

If you are willing shoot me a PM or call the shop. Ask for the guy who handles HDF.

Old 02-17-2014 | 08:54 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

Maybe just clean the brake discs & sensor areas. With approved product.

Old 02-17-2014 | 09:52 PM
Hogpro
|
Former Sponsor

I told my customer to wipe off the ABS pickup and bearing and he insisted that it was perfectly clean. Well,working at a shop that sells wheels and seeing what people call "clean" has taught me that their clean is not the same as my clean.

I have not heard back from him yet but I'll drop him a line tomorrow to see if anything has changed.

Old 02-18-2014 | 06:22 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Hmmmm. Waiting on Harley requires patience. We'll see. I talked to a potential customer about this today and my answer was "I don't know." I really don't like telling people I don't know the answer but honesty is always the best policy.

When I know more I will obviously let everyone here know. What I really need is a 14 model with ABS to mock a wheel up on and ride to see what happens. Anyone in the area game? I am sure I can find a way to compensate you for your time.

You must have ABS and we will need to ride the bike a bit at highway speeds to see what happens. My local guy with a 14 is selling or already sold his for a new corvette unfortunately or I would use his.

If you are willing shoot me a PM or call the shop. Ask for the guy who handles HDF.

Understood. I've informed my HD dealer here about the problem and they said they will see what they can find out. Only problem is the snow we've been getting here as of late so haven't been able to take it over to them yet.

Old 02-27-2014 | 09:17 AM
Hogpro
|
Former Sponsor

I talked to Rick at PM yesterday (the tech guy of all tech guys). This guy knows more about more parts than anyone I have ever met. PM has a 2014 ABS bagger as well and initially experienced an issue with a wheel with ABS.

What they found was that after a little bit the computer reset itself. I was advised to let anyone know who has this issue to ride the bike for 10 miles or so at less than 50 MPH without stopping if possible and the computer should reset itself. Rick said that their 14 initially had an issue with the light but it fixed itself after riding as stated above.

The unfortunate part of this equation is that there still is not much information regarding this supposed "issue" right now. I am sure Harley's answer is do not put wheels on your 2014. That sounds like the mother ship.

I know this has not been an issue on all ABS 2014 models as well considering I avhe only heard about this from two customers and I have probably sold wheels sets to 50 or more people with 2014 models by now.

Thus we will have to wait and see with this but if I had a 2014 (I ride a 13) I would not worry about it. Would i still buy wheels? Yup. Something else I need an answer to is that if the ABS light comes on does that solely mean that the ABS function will not work? That would make sense but logic rarely applies to situations like this.

MY ABS light on my 13 has never come on so I do not know. Another thing si taht PM uses a metal spacer for ABS bikes as opposed to the ABS bearing that Harley and every other wheel company use. The ABS bearings are only available through Harley thus PM came up with it's own as I am sure they buy a lot of ABS bearings and they probably save a lot of cash doing it this way. They have the buying power to do things like this whereas most other companies in the industry do not avhe that kind of buying power.

Regardless I am sure this issue will sort itself out as time goes on. I am going to call my customer who had this issue now for an update and I will post the results here.

Quick Reply: '14 Street Glide ABS light with linked brakes issue