2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic? Fluid dump, '14 limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014 | 02:59 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain

Here we go round the Mulberry bush... The Service Dude told me my bike was at the factory when the recall went down and that they took care of the problem at the factory... I kept pressing him for info as to exactly what they did at the factory to rectify the problem... He said they replaced the inappropriate part... He did not know exactly what part it was... but they replaced it... My bike left the factory November 12... The Recall came out October 16th... The Dealer tech found the problem to be a leaky master cylinder and called the factory rep... The factory rep said to replace the master cylinder... They don't have one at the dealer and won't be able to procure one til next tuesday... Today is thursday... WTF... They got a known problem... and they don't keep that part in stock??? I told the Service writer I wanted the written documentation for the work they did at the factory.... He called me back about 30 minutes later to tell me, "A" they did not have a loaner for me and "B" they would not be able to get documentation on the work done on the master cylinder... He assured me though that this bike had the sticker they put on 'em to let the dealer know that the recall work had been performed??? I'm smellin a rat & I'm ticked... He also fed me a line that the wrong part was installed only on the CVO's so this was a different issue... Seriously??? Then why did they recall bikes with a No Ride Warning that were not CVO's...What's goin on here batman??? Either they just put a sticker on it & pushed it out the door...or they screwed up the repair... or they still got a problem with this thing and they ain't tellin us??? I almost did a face plant on I-10 when it failed... They put me on the road on a time bomb... If you are gonna buy one of these pigs manufactured in 2013... require they give you documentation that the master cylinder has been rebuilt???? Actually I'd make 'em put a new one on knowing what I know now... The more I think about it the angrier I get. The out of place part is an actuating rod meant for a cabled bike... 91500065 They tell us it was a rebuild... The truth is they have to take the thing apart to see if it's put together wrong... Some are, some arn't... an they need a rebuild kit to put it back together... then they have to bleed it... So if you had no problem, they took it apart, inspected, put it back together... & bled the system... The Rushmore Project is self described as a program to move a product from table to rider faster... using rider input... Let me translate... They made test riders out of the Harley Owners group... and contrary to paying them... the make us pay for the privilege of being test riders...

Old 02-21-2014 | 03:46 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Default Can I get the contact information information 4 Milwaukee from you

Originally Posted by rvnkontum
Just went to take my Bike out of the garage, backed it up and noticed there was a huge puddle under where the left lower fairing had been positioned. After all the clutch problems I've had with this new bike, I assume it's the hydraulic fluid. my issues started with a clutch that was pretty uch in gear all the time, but I didn't realize it, just thought I had a very responsive clutch, Went to the dealer to ask for clutch adjustment, told me no, this is the new system, no adjustment to be made, Shortly thereafter it got to where I couldn't get into N and it was difficult shift, dealer took the bike and bled the whole system. A couple of days later I took out the bike, and when I put it in 1st, bike took off by itself, back to dealer, this time I called MOCO in Milwaukee, they overnighted Master Cylinder, Actuator, and new Clutch Cable. I have diamondback cables so they didn't swap them. Bike has been running okay for about a week after the "fix", today, I find the huge puddle under the bike. My dealer is in "training" today, store closed to public, so left a message with my salesman and asked him to convey the news to service, and have them pick up the bike first thing in the morning. I also told him that this bike has been one problem after the other, that I didn't think this model was ready for release yet, and that I felt like I had a Lemon On my hands!
for Milwaukee from for Milwaukee from you from you. Whom you spoke to phone

Old 02-21-2014 | 06:44 PM
rmc115
Road Master

You can't make them do anything. they have directions on what to do. the wrong thrust plate was only a couple bikes and required taking the derby cover off to verify. all affected got a master cylinder repair kit, no inspection just replace. yours has a issue for whatever reason and now is getting a whole new assembly and should eliminate the issue. These things are mechanical and are built by humans. I have worked on $200k cars and they break too. Mike

Old 02-21-2014 | 09:14 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Default Thrust Plate? What thrust plate are you speaking of

I have not heard anything about a thrust plate......... ............ ............. ........................................... Update 21 Feb Star Date 2014... Went an had a conversation with the Service manager at the Dealer... Pumping him for information about this Hydroclutch thing... He showed me the part in question on the schematic... It is a little plunger looking shaft/push rod with a bunch of O rings that goes inbetween the Clutch lever & the master cylinder... He sez he has no knowledge of what part is the wrong part or bad one... all he knows is that they have had him rebuilding the master cylinders with the new & improved rebuild kit... Which includes the plunger/actuating rod or what ever you want to call it... Supposedly the new fangled rod has 3 pin holes in the back of it that you can see when you pop the clutch lever off and shine a light into the back of the master cylinder which he showed me... "See... It has the pin holes... It's the new part!"??? I'm still not convinced... I'd wager to say I am in a very exclusive club at this point being one of the few who has already logged five thousand miles on a wet head... He countered that he has had a bunch of five thousand miles services already... "But how many have logged five thousand miles on the recalled & rebuilt master cylinders???? That he could not tell me... I got no satisfaction from the Service Manager so I moved up the line and talked to his boss... He had been briefed on me and my situation... I went in like I had no knowledge and asked if whats up with my bike and if had knowledge of what was going on the the recall etc... He was playing dumb and giving me vague platitudes... I played along that the was ignorant of the specifics... Then I said OK... let me educate you then... After I finished he said, "Thats way technical an a little over my head the Mo Co doesn't share that kind of info with us... and if they do we are not allowed to share it with customers."... "So what I just heard you say is you know exactly what is going on here but you are not allowed to discuss it with me?" "No... That is NOT what I said!" he replied... "Then what did you mean by what you said?"... At that point he just started juking and jiving saying something about legalities etc.??? WTF!????? I extracted the 800 numbers for the Factory Reps from him an said "Ok... I guess I'm on to Milwaukee since you really don't have anything to say..." He spouted some politaties... but his body language said, "Don't let the Door hit you in the ****!!!" Pinchie de me... So... near as I can tell... If you got a Rushmore touring bike between your legs... Yer playin a game of Roulette... Good luck with that Boys n Girls...In the mean time you might wanna go practice operating yer bike without a clutch so's when it happens to you it won't be yer first Rodeo... I'll keep ya posted when I get my bike back next week... hopefully... If'n I ain't rattled their cage so much they start defecating in my Cheerios...

Old 02-22-2014 | 09:37 AM
rmc115
Road Master

On the clutch pack they accidentally put a few thrust plates in that were for cable bikes, the difference being the thrust bearing in a cable bike is on the other end, on a hydraulic bike the bearing is in that plate. So if you had the wrong one u would not have a bearing in there and things would be bad quickly, really doubt it would make it to 1k service without noise or issues. Must have been somebody's first day? Mike