Sponsored by:

Snow riding tips

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 09:50 AM
dmonger
|
Road Master
Default Snow riding tips

I generally don't ride in the snow due to a lack of experience. But, with my bike being my only transportation, sleeping in my office gets old after a few days. For those of you who actually ride in the snow, got any tips? Is there specific tires you've noticed hold a line better than others? If you don't ride in the snow, I genuinely do not give a single solitary **** about how stupid you may think it is.

Last edited by dmonger; Yesterday at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ringer1969 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 09:55 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Snow is just like riding in the rain. However, the ice and road treatments are a different issue as they are slippery.

Where are you living that gets snows routinely, and you only have your bike? My motorcycle was my main transportation for 20 years in the military. Still my usual transport today. But I have never lived north of Norfolk, Virginia. I was able to ride all but a few days a year. On those icy days in Norfolk, I had girlfriends with cars.

Old Yesterday | 09:58 AM
dmonger
|
Road Master

I live in Washington so we don't get a ton of snow. Usually about 3 weeks ish spread out over the course of winter. Some times more, some less. If I was in the North East or Midwest where they get considerably more snow it'd be a different story. We primarily get rain up here.

Goose_NC (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:44 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Snow is just like riding in the rain. However, the ice and road treatments are a different issue as they are slippery.
s.
The ice is probably more of an issue. I had rode in snowflakes, which I supect is very similar to rain. Rubber may be colder and less gripper. I would think going slow and conservative.

Years ago a took a lap through town, where I had to ride to the main rode with my feet down because of ice mays. Side roads have a mat through much of the winter. That was 500lb bike, which would be my choice for something like this. Down side no weather protection.

Old Yesterday | 11:03 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

I’m not a dark side fan. But maybe snow grip rear car tire like Bridgestone Blizzak.

Old Yesterday | 12:07 PM
bburky
Road Warrior

If you really do not have a choice , but to ride in the snow , good luck, and dress for the crash .

Hopefully you will not crash , but the odds are highly likely you will.

The following 2 users liked this post by bburky:
hairymoth (Yesterday), John Harper (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 12:14 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior

If you try it, it truly will be a **** show.
Buy an Enduro put some sheet metal screws in the tires and have at it. Or just Uber.

Old Yesterday | 01:48 PM
H-Town
Tourer

No specific advice that I can offer in this space but I was travelling from Green Bay to Milwaukee in December. It was 0 degrees outside and lots of snow on the ground and highway. There was a guy riding it at 55 MPH....I was impressed as conditions just sucked. Good luck on your rides!

Old Yesterday | 02:51 PM
Addicted to Chaos
Tourer
Paintslinger16 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 04:57 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

I have been stuck riding in the snow on multiple occasions. I have lived in Ketchum Idaho, Boulder Colorado and the Western Sierras for the last 30 years. On more than one occasion I have called friends to trailer me home. There is no plus in trying it. The scariest ride of my life was getting stuck in a blizzard between Stanley Idaho and Boise. I would recommend you reconsider your plan.

Quick Reply: Snow riding tips