Sponsored by:

GT Nav vs GTS Nav

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2024, 10:38 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 336 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
OP - I opened your map. Curious, why all of the waypoints on the Blue Ridge Parkway - this is a continuous road and I am not certain why you added the waypoints.
Because a lot of folks like some of the routes I plan & they download them. I try to be as detailed for them as I can. Plus, if you looked closely, I got off the Parkway & got on US 221. Because that road is a great ride of twisties & very low traffic & avoids the crowds at Grandfather Mountain on the BRP. Then I we got back on the BRP to bypass Blowing Rock. Also, HD Ride Planner can be buggy at times & wants me to go a different route off the Parkway, thus, I add waypoints. You can never have too waypoints.

Old 08-06-2024, 10:41 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I gave up and just use a Garmin on a RAM mount. I have free lifetime maps a the screen is way bigger. I tried a few times but to me the HD Nav is not user friendly and doesn’t seem too accurate. Plus I’m not paying for an upgrade that is out of date.
The only time I use it is if it’s raining so bad and i need to put my Garmin away. If it would ever die on the road on a trip I would pull in a Walmart or Bestbuy and buy a new one.
I've been using it for 8 years & pretty much have it dialed in. HD Ride Planner has a huge learning curve, as does the GT/GTS. I like it & it works like it's supposed once you figure it all out.

Old 08-06-2024, 10:42 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
I use Google maps for the live traffic. It will steer you around backs and let you know about speed traps.
Yup. I use it on long Interstate runs through Apple CarPlay on the GTS screen. Sometimes Waze also.

Old 08-06-2024, 03:27 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cycle7447
I

Go into your setting and click audio info. This will now show your song.
Cycle7447, thanks brother. Don't know how I missed that setting.

The following users liked this post:
cycle7447 (08-09-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 03:29 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
In the NAV Settings, it you have alternate routes clicked on, it will show you alternates, upper right corner is the place to click to get your programed route.
Thanks Slingshot. But it was already checked alternate routes OFF

Old 08-06-2024, 05:19 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawgQC
I've been using it for 8 years & pretty much have it dialed in. HD Ride Planner has a huge learning curve, as does the GT/GTS. I like it & it works like it's supposed once you figure it all out.
One of the reasons I like the Garmin is I have it also at more of an eye level. And the screen is way bigger.

Old 08-07-2024, 11:04 AM
H-Town
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I too like the GTS as well for my route specific trips. That said, I am not a fan of Harley Ride Planner....I have managed to make that work but I prefer to use Tyre to build my routes....then import them into HRP. Its just a lot easier and much faster to me.

If I am just trying to get from point a to point b....then CarPlay is my GPS of choice. I appreciate the flexibility of using both.

BigDawgQC (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 06:32 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,295 Likes on 6,039 Posts

Have a 2021 Street Glide with the GTS. I just planned a trip and used waypoints. I down loaded these to a drive, loaded onto the bike. It placed this ride under Rides (strongly recommend you purchase the user guide for this system....it does give you more info than the owners manual) which is on the "second" screen of the Nav section. It broke the waypoints down into seperate portions of the ride. I would run the first section, then when nearing the end of the that route, started the next section. Hard to explain here, but the manual will give you info on how to use the hand controls which made the switching easier when riding.
As others have said, it does have a learning curve, but once you figure some things out, it does get easier. Good luck on your search for help. And get the Boom GTS manual....a good tool!!

BigDawgQC (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 07:13 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Spartanden
Have a 2021 Street Glide with the GTS. I just planned a trip and used waypoints. I down loaded these to a drive, loaded onto the bike. It placed this ride under Rides (strongly recommend you purchase the user guide for this system....it does give you more info than the owners manual) which is on the "second" screen of the Nav section. It broke the waypoints down into seperate portions of the ride. I would run the first section, then when nearing the end of the that route, started the next section. Hard to explain here, but the manual will give you info on how to use the hand controls which made the switching easier when riding.
As others have said, it does have a learning curve, but once you figure some things out, it does get easier. Good luck on your search for help. And get the Boom GTS manual....a good tool!!
I have the manual. If you look at the ride I posted, I an avid user of waypoints. There is no need to load it on a thumb drive. But I have done that, but I generally used the app to Send to Bike. And I always load it into Rides. You can break up the ride by using locations instead of waypoints. I prefer waypoints. I still prefer the GT over the GTS for mainly sight & the distance to next turn.

Old 08-09-2024, 03:16 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I have the manual. If you look at the ride I posted, I an avid user of waypoints. There is no need to load it on a thumb drive. But I have done that, but I generally used the app to Send to Bike. And I always load it into Rides. You can break up the ride by using locations instead of waypoints. I prefer waypoints. I still prefer the GT over the GTS for mainly sight & the distance to next turn.
I agree with you - this is the way I do it. Waypoints and send to bike.

Quick Reply: GT Nav vs GTS Nav