Sponsored by:

Premium Fuel vs Non-Ethanol Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 07:19 AM
VortecCPI
Road Captain
Received 295 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Premium Fuel vs Non-Ethanol Fuel

Does anybody know how these two fuel types stack up in terms of heat, power, fuel economy, engine wear, oil breakdown, etc. all other things being equal?

@Steve Cole have you ever done any work in this regard?

Old 08-04-2024, 07:44 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,937 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by VortecCPI
Does anybody know how these two fuel types stack up in terms of heat, power, fuel economy, engine wear, oil breakdown, etc. all other things being equal?

@Steve Cole have you ever done any work in this regard?
I am no expert in this field. I do know this. In Michigan, my premium is about $4.50 per gallon. When I fill my tank (6 gal), it says I can average 245 or so miles (ride a trike).

Very few stations in my area have non-ethanol (usually marine) and that price is about $5.99 per gallon - so, for me, this is not cost effective.

When I go further up the line - say towards the UP on like in Wisconsin (just there for Harley Homecoming), non-ethanol gas was around $4.37 per gallon. When I filled the tank, it says I can average 255 or so miles. So, I am getting about 3 miles more per gallon. Plus, that gas is less expensive there.

Can't comment on the power, I did see any difference - but, I have heard it is much better.

The following users liked this post:
VortecCPI (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 07:45 AM
VortecCPI
Road Captain
Received 295 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
I am no expert in this field. I do know this. In Michigan, my premium is about $4.50 per gallon. When I fill my tank (6 gal), it says I can average 245 or so miles (ride a trike).

Very few stations in my area have non-ethanol (usually marine) and that price is about $5.99 per gallon - so, for me, this is not cost effective.

When I go further up the line - say towards the UP on like in Wisconsin (just there for Harley Homecoming), non-ethanol gas was around $4.37 per gallon. When I filled the tank, it says I can average 255 or so miles. So, I am getting about 3 miles more per gallon. Plus, that gas is less expensive there.

Can't comment on the power, I did see any difference - but, I have heard it is much better.
Thank you kindly for some good feedback.

Old 08-04-2024, 07:47 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,943 Likes on 4,141 Posts

My only testing is old age and remember well gasoline before ethanol.

All gasoline pretty much has the same BTU output. Now ethanol at 10% does reduce it a tad since that 10% ethanol doesn't have the same amount of BTU.

Premium or so called hightest just has an additive to slow the burn rate so it doesn't explode and cause ping noises in and engine.

Ethanol in a sealed in a tank will easily be good for 6 months. It also absorbes any moisture in daily use and keeps the tank dry.

I been working and servicing all my lawn equipment, boats, bikes, and cars since the 60s. Along with numerous neighbors, children and grandchildren as a hobby.

Now 10% ethanol is are only choice here on the east coast.

Fact from Google..
Using E10 (gasoline blended with 10% ethanol) can reduce a vehicle's fuel economy by about 3% compared to non-ethanol gasoline. This is because ethanol has about one-third less energy than gasoline. For example, if a vehicle gets 32 miles per gallon on gasoline, it might get between 30.72 and 31.04 miles per gallon on E10

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-04-2024 at 08:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jackie Paper:
talkingrock (08-06-2024), VortecCPI (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 07:52 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,027 Posts

The ethanol based fuel does tend to burn a little hotter. And they accumulate water which can cause additional problems. But most non ethanol fuel I've found on the road is usually low octane and I won't use that unless there is no other option. In other words, in most cases I'd chose higher octane over a lower octane non ethanol fuel.

Some people have posted that they regularly find high octane ethanol free fuel in their area. But it's spotty as best across when riding the country.

Pauil

The following 2 users liked this post by pgreer:
bradsULtd (08-06-2024), Goose_NC (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 08:01 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,754 Likes on 993 Posts

I have been looking at non ethanol fuels myself, the draw back is the octane@ 90 varices 93. That said my bike runs on 91 to 93 octane. I was thinking on maybe mixing it maybe fill up at a half tank just to see.

Old 08-04-2024, 08:13 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,937 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
I have been looking at non ethanol fuels myself, the draw back is the octane@ 90 varices 93. That said my bike runs on 91 to 93 octane. I was thinking on maybe mixing it maybe fill up at a half tank just to see.
Try to find the 91 Octane; I think you will be very happy.

Old 08-04-2024, 08:23 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447

In UP most/many of the premium is non ethanol.

In WI same thing. In WI the 5 counties around Milwaukee can't sell sell non ethanol.

Price is close for ethanol or non ethanol premium.

Does your area of Michigan ban non ethanol except for boats?

Old 08-04-2024, 08:24 AM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,623 Likes on 779 Posts

Here in Florida you can find 87 octane ethanol free and 93 with. If you tune for it you can actually make more power from the 87, but with our heat, I won’t risk it. Not to mention tuning for 87 leaves you at the mercy of finding 87 free… it’s sparse.

Last edited by Rains2much; 08-04-2024 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-04-2024, 08:48 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,687 Likes on 1,364 Posts

I live in farm country. Farm equipment gets stored, unused, outside for long periods of time. A growing season for example. Therefore, non ethanol premium is available in numerous stations. Some even have a separate non ethanol pump nozzle.

My experience, as I record my gallons and mileage every fill up, is that I average 42.7 on 10%ethanol and 45.2 with non ethanol premium. That said, I’ve gotten up to 47.7 on non ethanol. I don’t know if my non ethanol average would be much higher if when touring, I could just use one type. Once on the road, I just fill up premium 10% or non. It’s at home that I use non ethanol exclusively.

I did have one trip, about 2000 miles where I shopped non ethanol. Several were non premium non ethanols. I got better than 46 mpg on that trip, but even with the non ethanol gas phone app, it was a pain and like someone said, several stations charge a super price for the good stuff.

Locally, non ethanol premium is about 15 cents more per gallon. I use it locally in all my equipment and the bike. Once on the road, any premium will do. I’m not sure if this is a cause or effect, but my spark plugs always look new. That could be just a great tune, but I’m amazed how great they look when I have changed them. Even my sporty seems to run clean and is responsive.

Years ago, I did all the figuring, so this response is part old notes and part memory. Of greater effect on mpg are back roads where speed limits are 45-55. If I use 10% on the Oregon coast from Fortuna to Astoria, I’ll still get 46 mpg average. Just image what I’d get if they had non ethanol.

The biggest difference for me with non ethanol is when I’m going to make a freeway run. There the 5% mpg difference really shows up.

Quick Reply: Premium Fuel vs Non-Ethanol Fuel