Sponsored by:

Premium Fuel vs Non-Ethanol Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 08:17 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
It is very common in UP. So my question was, is it by certain area of down state? In WI you can't get non ethanol in counties surrounding Milwaukee.. But common every where else, and not $6.

Does downstate have some law banning it near big cites, due to pollution?
I live in Lake Orion - next to Auburn Hills. This is midway between Flint and Detroit. Yes, I am aware that it is very common in the UP.

Also, we just got back from the Harley Birthday event in Milwaukee - you said that we can't get non-ethanol in counties surrounding Milwaukee - however, every station we stopped at had this for a very low price. That cost was less that I was paying for premium at home.

While in Milwaukee, we road about 400 or so miles - New Glarus and towards the Dells. On the way home, we took the UP route, so up to Green Bay and all of those areas to Escanaba. Escanaba to Mackinaw City then home. Every station from Milwaukee and outside of Mackinaw City that we stopped at had non-ethanol. One in particular, Kwik became our favorite.

Old 08-05-2024, 05:32 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
I live in Lake Orion - next to Auburn Hills. This is midway between Flint and Detroit. Yes, I am aware that it is very common in the UP.

Also, we just got back from the Harley Birthday event in Milwaukee - you said that we can't get non-ethanol in counties surrounding Milwaukee - however, every station we stopped at had this for a very low price. That cost was less that I was paying for premium at home.
The 5 counties around Milwaukee do not sell ethanol free gas. Either you are mistaken, or in different county. You don't have to go all that far to be in another county. I know this for a fact. No doubts,

Again, does MI have some law that it can't sell ethanol free, downstate in the areas you live in? Is it restricted to small pumps catering to marine? Wi restricts near Milwaukee, with the idea that is where the pollution is They do a summer blend too.

Last edited by Rounders; 08-05-2024 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2024, 07:38 PM
23StreetGlideSpecial
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Well at the end of the day, when you go to the pump the first gallon and a half is 89 octane right?

Old 08-05-2024, 09:13 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

That is why I drink the first pint on a hot day, it comes up cold from the cellar.

Old 08-06-2024, 06:10 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by 23StreetGlideSpecial
Well at the end of the day, when you go to the pump the first gallon and a half is 89 octane right?
You talking about what's in the hose at a common nozzle pump? That's more like a quart.

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (08-07-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 09:31 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 1,041 Posts

It's closer to 1/3 / quart. But if you aren't pumping much fuel, like when topping off (say 1 gallon oe less) for a trip then for the amount you purchase is a lot because you are paying for the grade someone. If they purchased regular low octane and you purchased premium high octane, you are paying premium prices for the regular left over from the previous purchase.

Back in the day when each grade had their own pump, thay wasn't a problem. Fow what ever it's worth, I always try to run my tank to a quarter or lower before fulling up. I used to fill up after every ride, but someone suggested that was leaving a lot of old fuel in that tank that would eventually degrade and lose octane. Not to mention potential moisture build up.

Paul

Old 08-07-2024, 10:06 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
The 5 counties around Milwaukee do not sell ethanol free gas. Either you are mistaken, or in different county. You don't have to go all that far to be in another county. I know this for a fact. No doubts,

Again, does MI have some law that it can't sell ethanol free, downstate in the areas you live in? Is it restricted to small pumps catering to marine? Wi restricts near Milwaukee, with the idea that is where the pollution is They do a summer blend too.
Hey, you could be right. All I know is - I spent 3 nights in Milwaukee and everywhere I got gas, I was able to get the 91 non ethanol version. Granted - I usually got gas when travelling so, like headed to New Glarus, etc.

When I left Milwaukee headed home around the UP, I got non ethanol gas. Think my first stop was somewhere near Green Bay.

Again to address your question about non ethanol gas in Michigan. There is no restriction/law that says MI can't sell it. In fact, there are some stations that carry it. In my area, there are some, mostly marine stations. The other regular gas stations have it but again, the cost is way too expensive, in my opinion. Two regular stations have it listed, only one actually has it (Mobil station)