Sponsored by:

Strange sound- Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2024, 02:54 PM
Shiver905
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
You shouldn’t have to remove the tank. Wrap the rub with some electrical tape and loosely zip tie the wire where it’s not rubbing. You could use a piece of fuel line or something similar to protect that part of the spark plug wire if you want. I’d still recommend looking for exhaust leaks at the exhaust ports.
Already took the tank off. With the tank off I was able to sneak the injectors off.
Very pleasantly surprised because service manual says to take the throttle body off/ drain and remove the cooling lines to access the injectors. Which I wouldn't have the confidence to do myself.

I found a fibrous thing in the rear injector (maybe a piece of filter?). Picked it out with a tooth pick. I would have expected issues with the front injector because my front 02 sensor was showing the codes.
I thought since I'm this deep into it, Might as well change the injectors. Unfortunately no one near me has any but I did find some in the States- Will have to cross the border tomorrow.

Old 08-02-2024, 03:15 PM
john31224
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiver905
Bike of question:
2014 Ultra Limited- 37,000km -

I managed to think of a way to recreate what I'm aimlessly trying to describe via Video.
Underload - The bike maybe misfires or does something strange.

In the video, I lock throttle at 3,000rpm.
Close your eyes as your listening to it- You will notices some changes in the sounds for a split second- I can really feel this when riding.

My question is what the hell is it doing?

Youtube: https://youtu.be/8_2CEun9RM0

Also Video is attached-

The story:
Got a code of P0134 - Front Bike running rich- Changed the 02 sensor
Seemed to fix the code itself- Bike still not running quite right.

Currently:
Code : P0131 - Front 02 sensor running lean
Watch Vid

Things I have tried
-Cleaned Air Filter
-Changed Spark plugs - OEM and Gapped
-Tested Spark plug wires Resistance- Within spec
- Changed Front 02 Sensor - Had to take the whole exhaust off for access.
-Changed Fuel Filter
-Changed Fuel Regulator

I have an appointment with Harley Service to do a Fuel Pressure test-
I'm thinking to ask them for an exhaust leak test as well Incase something started to leak when the exhaust was taken off to replace the 02 Sensor.
I'll also show them my video.

My suspicions; I'm new to Harleys and wrenching:
Fuel Injectors clogged?
Exhaust leak?
I have a 2014 FLHTK and had a plug wire rub through where it passes through the hole in the frame to the coil. That wire also passed the resistance check so
that doesn't guarantee much.

Old 08-02-2024, 09:37 PM
Shiver905
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
You shouldn’t have to remove the tank. Wrap the rub with some electrical tape and loosely zip tie the wire where it’s not rubbing. You could use a piece of fuel line or something similar to protect that part of the spark plug wire if you want. I’d still recommend looking for exhaust leaks at the exhaust ports.
@GalvTexGuy
I took a small shop vac and blew into the exhaust. Sprayed some soapy water on the connections of the exhaust. No leaks on the headers- But here is where I found some leaks: (Pic)
They are slightly different because my pipes are Vance & Hines Power duals but the Diagram still applies. Looking at how they are attached and V&H instructions there are no gaskets or seals on the leaky areas. Id assume it would leak a bit. -Are the supposed to be air tight? If so I'll have to have a word with my Indy and find another one.

Last edited by Shiver905; 08-02-2024 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2024, 07:23 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 2,303 Posts

@GalvTexGuy
I took a small shop vac and blew into the exhaust. Sprayed some soapy water on the connections of the exhaust. No leaks on the headers- But here is where I found some leaks: (Pic)
They are slightly different because my pipes are Vance & Hines Power duals but the Diagram still applies. Looking at how they are attached and V&H instructions there are no gaskets or seals on the leaky areas. Id assume it would leak a bit. -Are the supposed to be air tight? If so I'll have to have a word with my Indy and find another one.
That’s a good question. Maybe someone knows and will answer. Ideally, you would use new exhaust clamps (#14 #30), but I know that’s not always the case. FYI, there is a gasket for the crossover pipe. Maybe the clamps aren’t torqued properly? You could try tightening the clamps and see if that stops the exhaust leaks. It couldn’t hurt.

Old 08-03-2024, 04:51 PM
Shiver905
Intermediate

Dealer Said, I have an Intake leak.
No charge to do the test.

Via Service manual- Looks like I need to takeoff the Induction module- To do this I have to remove The cooling parts on the heads and drain coolant.
Is this difficult? Has anyone done this?
Tips?

Old 08-03-2024, 05:46 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Dealer Said, I have an Intake leak.
No charge to do the test.

Via Service manual- Looks like I need to takeoff the Induction module- To do this I have to remove The cooling parts on the heads and drain coolant.
Is this difficult? Has anyone done this?
Tips?
That’s out of my league and I hope I never have to remove/replace one on my ‘14 Limited. Ugh! Good luck!