2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider Safety: Why Do Some Riders Not Care?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 04:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Interesting thread - we all do things a little differently.

For me/us, we always wear long pants. If riding around town or to the local dealership in warm weather, we wear tee shirts. On longer trips/highway, we usually wear a long sleeve shirt or mesh jacket. For us, the bare skin in the wind sort of burns us. We just got back from a 1400 mile trip - and it was long pants, jackets and boots all the way.

I will say that we may wear sketchers on a short ride - 10 miles or so; we have a trike with running boards.

As a note - while in Sturgis, we say a guy on his bike - it was hot as heck that day. The lady with him has on a bikini - and she jumped on the back and sat on the FENDER - talk about burning her rear.
Before they gentrified things and cracked down hard any non PC dress and behavior downtown, there were times the main drag smelled like a fish fry.

Old 07-31-2024, 04:54 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManBkr
I could care less if you ride in the nude or wearing a protective bubble. What i care about is that my insurance premiums are based on the masses, you being one of the statistics they take into account to determine my premiums. The fact that you want to ride full monte so when you ditch, you are crayoned all over the road, thus the insurance company has to pay 10's of thousands in skin grafts, and prosthetic limb charges, which means we all as a community pay for your choose to go naked on a motorcycle ride.

Other countries are not like the US. In the US we ride because it is a luxury (in most cases) the majority of the world ride because it is affordable. I have been to part so the world where i have seen several people on a 125 cc motorcycle and on the rider is wearing a helmet. But the risks are not the same. Because everyone rides, drivers are more respectful of the motorcycles, no one cares about lane splitting / filtering because it is allowed. heck i once saw a guy in a car hit a motorcyclist by accident. The car driver was pulled out of his car by a mob and beaten within inches of his life.

to summarize my main point, wear what you want, but i care only because it ultimately costs me money.

Then I suggest you go down to your local fast food joint to yell at all the fatties pigging out on junk food and contributing to the heart disease crisis we have in this out of shape nation. Surely that has a bigger impact in healthcare costs to your wallet than MC insurance (such a weak argument). Face it, you just want to tell others what they should do....period.

The following 4 users liked this post by MikeTD3:
Addicted to Chaos (08-01-2024), gonemad (07-31-2024), Goose_NC (08-01-2024), Spook13 (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 05:35 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,807 Likes on 19,319 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Before they gentrified things and cracked down hard any non PC dress and behavior downtown, there were times the main drag smelled like a fish fry.
That took a second !

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
Old Sport (08-01-2024), TwiZted Biker (07-31-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 08:05 AM
OldManBkr
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeTD3
Then I suggest you go down to your local fast food joint to yell at all the fatties pigging out on junk food and contributing to the heart disease crisis we have in this out of shape nation. Surely that has a bigger impact in healthcare costs to your wallet than MC insurance (such a weak argument). Face it, you just want to tell others what they should do....period.
seeing as that wasn't the point of the discussion, i don't see the bearing on this discussion. Try and stay on point

No i could care the F less what you wear or don't wear riding a motorcycle. The only impact your decisions have on me is through my insurance. Perhaps that point wasn't clear enough... so ride naked, i don't give a F, the only other way you riding naked would impact me is the burn in my eyes and psychological damage seeing your fat naked azz riding down the street and that yeah it sucks that when you reck my day gets messed a bit because traffic backs up, but you do you

Last edited by Highway Handler; 08-01-2024 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-01-2024, 11:51 AM
Highway Handler
HDF Community Team
Received 694 Likes on 363 Posts

Time to close this thread.

The following 2 users liked this post by Highway Handler:
Addicted to Chaos (08-01-2024), hattitude (08-02-2024)