Sponsored by:

Holding Clutch Basket to Tighten Nut

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 03:53 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Holding Clutch Basket to Tighten Nut

My 2015 St Glide Special clutch spins when I’m trying to tighten the main shaft nut. Even with the primary locking tool in place. I wonder if I can get away with two box wrenches around the place I’ve marked in the picture?

Edit: I just realized the bike was in neutral.

Last edited by stevepacman; 07-07-2024 at 04:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Glenn Gorman (07-08-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 05:00 PM
Ya Tigor
Tourer
Received 225 Likes on 136 Posts

Try put it in a 6th gear and hold the rear brake. But properly assembled unworn clutch is not supposed to slip on the nut tightening at demanded torque level.

Old 07-07-2024, 10:46 PM
stevepacman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ya Tigor
Try put it in a 6th gear and hold the rear brake. But properly assembled unworn clutch is not supposed to slip on the nut tightening at demanded torque level.
Good idea. BTW, this large nut is installed before the clutch pack (frictions and plates) so the hub will free-spin on the main shaft if it’s in neutral.

Old 07-08-2024, 09:15 AM
Ya Tigor
Tourer

Originally Posted by stevepacman
BTW, this large nut is installed before the clutch pack (frictions and plates) so the hub will free-spin on the main shaft if it’s in neutral.
Nope. You can remove/install the whole clutch accembly. No need to take the plates out. Only the pressure plate and the rod need to be removed to access the nut. That's why I said if the clutch assembly is good the lock plate is enough to brake or tight the clutch nut.

Old 07-08-2024, 04:21 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 780 Likes on 524 Posts

Never thought about it before. My guess is that is the side of the clutch driven by the engine through the chain so it must be free to rotate on the transmission shaft at all times and the plates and spring is what connect to the transmission input shaft. The clutch hub nut is accessible to remove and install if the spring ring retaining the threaded center plate is removed and the plate is removed. No one has asked this question before so it must be that the clutch can be assembled off the bike and once installed, the locking tool can be used to tighten the six bolts to the proper torque. All of this is just a guess on my part as I have never had to disassemble a Harley clutch.

Old 07-09-2024, 11:59 AM
Ya Tigor
Tourer

Originally Posted by btsom
All of this is just a guess on my part as I have never had to disassemble a Harley clutch.
I've heard there are special books to read about how to do this or that. People call them "Service Manuals".

The following 2 users liked this post by Ya Tigor:
CoolBreeze3646 (07-10-2024), djl (07-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 12:17 PM
stevepacman
Road Master

Just to recap. I removed my inner primary in order to replace the shift lever on the transmission shaft (pawl). I inadvertently put it in Neutral so I couldn't figure out why everything was still spinning even with the locking tool in place.

Old 07-10-2024, 02:36 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 780 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Ya Tigor
I've heard there are special books to read about how to do this or that. People call them "Service Manuals".
Just happen to have one but have only read the parts I needed for a particular operation. Will you make that same suggestion to the OP since he has taken his clutch apart?

Old 07-10-2024, 03:52 PM
stevepacman
Road Master

Originally Posted by btsom
Just happen to have one but have only read the parts I needed for a particular operation. Will you make that same suggestion to the OP since he has taken his clutch apart?
It's too bad members feel the need to make snarky comments in forums. I don't get it. As for my situation, I DO have the factory service manual. Maybe I should've figured it out sooner, but a small note in the manual about ensuring the transmission wasn't in Neutral would've saved me a bunch of time.

Another tip could've read, "On hydraulic clutch equipped models, take care not to engage the clutch lever AT ANY TIME the clutch components are removed. This will prevent push-rod movement resulting in possible loss of pressure or vapor lock requiring additional bleeding of the system." Man, I am learning a ton with this DIY.

Old 07-10-2024, 04:38 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,041 Likes on 4,075 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepacman
Good idea. BTW, this large nut is installed before the clutch pack (frictions and plates) so the hub will free-spin on the main shaft if it’s in neutral.
No it's not.. The clutch should be completely assemble except for the throw-out bearing, holder and snapring. You reach the mainshaft nut through the hole with a socket.. Use a jam bar between the sprockets to hold the clutch..

The following users liked this post:
Ohio HD (07-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Holding Clutch Basket to Tighten Nut