Sponsored by:

Need Advise Please-Used Road King Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 02:03 PM
HarleyInRI
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyInRI
Thanks Jack. I am feeling like I am going to end up with a 103 Rushmore due to my budget unless I can get a "steal" on a '17 or'18.
Hi guys. Please help out. I think I found the "steal". It is a beautiful 2018 RK with 12,5K miles. I can buy for just under 10K which I think is a great buy. The seller is 68 and wants to sell. He has been riding since 12, is a certified mechanic and former motorcycle instructor in NH. He is about 1.5 hours away and seems to be honest. He states it is stock with no mechanical issues. Never an issue with the oil pump and Sumping. He has maintained it well and had the Clutch ( maybe clutch master cylinder replaced at the dealer from a recall). He honestly told me that he had to avoid an accident 3 years ago and skid out the bike and bailed. The bike slid for a bit causing the damage in the photos to the crash bar and under the "primary". He said it never leaked. Please let me know if I should be worried. Thanks guys. Oh yeah. He also mentions he had it lowered 1" and it can be easily put back to normal. Is that true? I am at the end of my budget.

Old 07-10-2024, 03:13 PM
FLHR2020
Stage IV
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate any input/ advise. I am ready for my first Harley. Been waiting 30 years. I am 54 and feel so happy to finally be in the position. In my research, I have fallen in love with Road Kings. In looking at prices in my area, I seem to fit financially into the 2014-2018 years, with a 2018 being on the very high end (would need a really good deal). I am learning that the 2014-2016, 103 engine with Rushmore improvements are a great choice. I also read that the 2017 and 2018 made significant improvements to the engine M8 107 and elsewhere. My question is what year would you guys choose if given the opportunity and why? Thank You very much for your time!!!
I traded in my 2016 Ultra with a wet head motor and bought a 2020 Road King with a 107 motor and the differance in night. and day. On a fill up I can get about 230 mi to a tank full. At 3000 RPM your doing almost 80 MPH and that 3 grand is a sweet spot where the motor runs well and excellent fuel milage.

Old 07-10-2024, 04:35 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Where the bike has been "down", I would have it checked over by an HD dealership...probably cost you 1 hr in labor, but money well spent in my opinion...good luck whichever way you end up...

The following users liked this post:
Chuck1 (07-13-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 08:43 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 799 Likes on 357 Posts

Either one of those bikes will do you well. The 2018 is easy to fix so no worries on that. I do like the color on the 2015, not into black bikes that much.

Ride safe!

Old 07-10-2024, 09:20 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I have had my bikes down many times, lots of scratches on those parts. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have looked at it, but it is 10k not 25k. If it rides fine, I dunno. Again probably never awful to have inspected. But not every town has a bike shop, people don't realize that.

You can't go wrong with black either.

Old 07-10-2024, 10:20 PM
cj24
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 153 Posts

Hi guys. Please help out. I think I found the "steal". It is a beautiful 2018 RK with 12,5K miles. I can buy for just under 10K which I think is a great buy. The seller is 68 and wants to sell. He has been riding since 12, is a certified mechanic and former motorcycle instructor in NH. He is about 1.5 hours away and seems to be honest. He states it is stock with no mechanical issues. Never an issue with the oil pump and Sumping. He has maintained it well and had the Clutch ( maybe clutch master cylinder replaced at the dealer from a recall). He honestly told me that he had to avoid an accident 3 years ago and skid out the bike and bailed. The bike slid for a bit causing the damage in the photos to the crash bar and under the "primary". He said it never leaked. Please let me know if I should be worried. Thanks guys. Oh yeah. He also mentions he had it lowered 1" and it can be easily put back to normal. Is that true? I am at the end of my budget.

I picked up a 21 FLHR like yours above for a steal with less than 1k miles. This is in CA post covid with prices very high. Like the one you are considering, it was in a small spill. I certainly would consider that bike you are looking at. I have about 500 in parts in mine and now have a like new bike for half the cost.

Bring a flashlight with you and account for all damage, ensuring it's superficial and not too costly to replace. Pop the side covers off and look at the mounting tabs for the rear guards. They easily bend... and if bent... be aware that this is considered a "totaled bike" ... as dealerships will not fix frames on bikes. However, if the tabs are slightly bent, they easily can be corrected with a wrench.

In addition, take a look at the upper mount on the front engine guard and make sure that is not bent. If there is damage there it better be very superficial or I would pass on the bike.

After inspection, if all looks OK beyond superficial parts needing replacement, test ride the bike. Make sure it tracks well, etc.

My guess is the damage is likely very superficial and can easliy be replaced... and you would end up having a like new bike for cheap.

Given the age of the bike, miles, and if it were me, i would replace the oil pump (CAM since you are there), also look to see it has the transmission cover vent to address transfer. Given all that... my target price for that bike would be 8K...but that's me and I tend to drive a hard bargain.

Good luck... my guess is the bike wont last long, so if you are serious, I would jump on it. Just do your due diligence by inspecting it.

Last edited by cj24; 07-10-2024 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 07:11 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I suspect I bent the tabs on my front engine guard hitting a deer. It was a struggle getting the replacement engine guard on from ebay But my guard was bent backwards into the brake. Still riding it. You could look for strange patterns on the front tire.

Old 07-11-2024, 07:42 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, Id want to know how much to fix it first. Take it to dealer if ya can.

Old 07-11-2024, 07:51 AM
HarleyInRI
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cj24
I picked up a 21 FLHR like yours above for a steal with less than 1k miles. This is in CA post covid with prices very high. Like the one you are considering, it was in a small spill. I certainly would consider that bike you are looking at. I have about 500 in parts in mine and now have a like new bike for half the cost.

Bring a flashlight with you and account for all damage, ensuring it's superficial and not too costly to replace. Pop the side covers off and look at the mounting tabs for the rear guards. They easily bend... and if bent... be aware that this is considered a "totaled bike" ... as dealerships will not fix frames on bikes. However, if the tabs are slightly bent, they easily can be corrected with a wrench.

In addition, take a look at the upper mount on the front engine guard and make sure that is not bent. If there is damage there it better be very superficial or I would pass on the bike.

After inspection, if all looks OK beyond superficial parts needing replacement, test ride the bike. Make sure it tracks well, etc.

My guess is the damage is likely very superficial and can easliy be replaced... and you would end up having a like new bike for cheap.

Given the age of the bike, miles, and if it were me, i would replace the oil pump (CAM since you are there), also look to see it has the transmission cover vent to address transfer. Given all that... my target price for that bike would be 8K...but that's me and I tend to drive a hard bargain.

Good luck... my guess is the bike wont last long, so if you are serious, I would jump on it. Just do your due diligence by inspecting it.
Thank you and everybody else on here for your advise. Greatly appreciated. Cant wait to post pictures when I finally pull the trigger.

Old 07-11-2024, 09:22 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,513 Likes on 994 Posts

Pfft, that damage looks like nothing to fret over.

If you stared real hard at my old RK, you'd discern the front crash bar was slightly tweaked. Never affected how the bike rode or ran.

Quick Reply: Need Advise Please-Used Road King Purchase