Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speculation Thread for the next years RK

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 06:35 AM
drc68
Cruiser
Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

I know several younger people who love classic HDs. They won't buy a new one mostly because they can't afford one, but they would certainly consider a recent model used. My son in particular, 21 years old, loves the classic look of the Heritage and Road King, loves chrome.. He'd buy one in a hot minute if he had the funds.

If HD keeps the RK around, I'd assume they would have the new style bags and tank, and all electronics except the IFCU. Single electronic gauge pod with all the information, plus Bluetooth. Not sure if their core RK buyer will go for that. Perhaps its days are numbered. It will be interesting to see how soon/if the police models receive the updates.

The following users liked this post:
Candubrain (06-28-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 04:29 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,590 Likes on 1,333 Posts

So I’m sitting on my patio, sipping my favorite brew, smoking ribs and thinking about this question and the Road Kings place in to world.

I could not afford a new motorcycle, not even a sporty for the first half of my riding. I rode used. My first bike was a ‘47 Knucklehead that I purchased from a farmers barn in 1963. My second, a the bike that made me was the next summer, a ‘61 XLH. My friends rode a BSA, a Norton, and another sporty. Oh, except Billy, he had a ‘52 Pan.

My point is that “new” bikes were not even considered. I was just starting life and I wasn’t a computer programmer, in fact we didn’t have computers yet. It was a struggle to find a used bike we could afford. Now, a new bike was achievable, but it would have been at the expense of everything else. This period of my life lasted 20 years. During that time I got married, divorced, and a new Harley kept just out of reach, except the ElectraGlide Sport, then Road King. It was a riders bike. Now my ‘80 FLH was used, as were most other bikes. Two things were different, be mostly used classified or word of mouth and that meant less competition for a bike. So used bikes were more fairly priced, mostly had been purchased with cash and a fair offer was heartily welcomed. Now fast forward to today, bikes are posted on Craigslist, marketplace, traders, etc. 1000’s of people get to view them. Also, many are financed, so the seller needs to recoup what the still owe or lose even more money.

So this brings me to the Road King. 90% of the Glides but has to be priced lower. No screen, now upsell, no complexity and new riders want an interactive ride experience. That’s different and the road king cannot compete in that space. It’s a space now being left open and filled by the likes of Royal Enfield, Triumph, Moto Guzzi, and even Honda. Harley is walking away from the entry level, sportster, basic touring market. As an aside, the 2024’s even look like metrics. That’s not bad or good, just different. Riders younger than me applaud the changes, riders my age for the most part shake their heads and think they know better.

Okay, got to go check the smoker. Enjoy and if you are not riding today, hope you’re having fun anyway.

b0fh (Yesterday)
Old Today, 08:26 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 475 Posts

I didn't see the HIGHWAY KING among the listings on the Harley web site. If it is still available, it is in reality a Road King with a solo seat and some fancier trim and paint. My guess is that they could sell a "Road King" for about $5000 more than if they called it a Road King. I came late to Harley, same money problems most face. Have been riding for over 65 years but 2008 was my first Harley and it was a Road King. My new ride is a 23 police Road King. If they stop making the Road King, the one I have will be my last bike. At 79 years old, it might be my last bike anyway.

jwt873 (Today)
Old Today, 09:16 AM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior
Received 2,398 Likes on 748 Posts

If the MoCo made this, with better tires/brakes/suspension/frame and a 117, they might get my money.

Old Today, 09:25 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,046 Likes on 5,361 Posts

RK maybe short lived. It does not fit HD marketing plan of higher end bikes. How did the Highway king sales pan out ? Police bike sales are not off the charts as they once were.

But you never know. The Sportster stuck around a long time.

We are in the second generation that can not live with out their phone in hand 24/7. Must have social media access at all times.
They ride crotch rockets with phone on a bag attached to gas tank. They ride scooters and part on the sidewalk like a bicycle.
Nothing much about a Harley interest them .

Older die hard Harley owners reaching an age where 30-50K for a new bike could go to better things. As retirement savings are spending down and earnings not growing. Even starting to except that the days of a 900 lbs bike are limited.

I just took the cash out of our bike fund to have the RGL limited triked. The balance left will go to picking up another RG to put detachable sidecar back on.
Still have two Bike on two wheels. But unlikely to ever purchase another new HD.

Last edited by smitty901; Today at 09:40 AM.
Old Today, 10:12 AM
jwt873
Road Warrior
Received 4,561 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
I didn't see the HIGHWAY KING among the listings on the Harley web site. If it is still available, it is in reality a Road King with a solo seat and some fancier trim and paint. My guess is that they could sell a "Road King" for about $5000 more than if they called it a Road King. I came late to Harley, same money problems most face. Have been riding for over 65 years but 2008 was my first Harley and it was a Road King. My new ride is a 23 police Road King. If they stop making the Road King, the one I have will be my last bike. At 79 years old, it might be my last bike anyway.
The Highway King was a limited edition bike that is part of the Harley Icon collection which are tribute bikes to models of the past. There were only 1750 Highway Kings made. Harley started the Icon program back in 2021 with the 2021 Electra Glide Revival. The current Icon is the 2024 Hydra Glide Revival: https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...les/icons.html