Sponsored by:

Hill Hold in Neutral Option

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by fdh161
Well, this is interesting. Rode up to the dealer this morning (37 degrees, by the way) to get the bike flashed. Dealer couldn’t find the file on their portal so they called the techies at HD corporate. Turns out the requisite software update has not been released yet! It’s expected “by the end of March”. Apparently Marketing didn’t check with Tech Support before releasing the part for sale.
OK, now I am totally lost. Your dealers says the software is not available.

Guy here from NC said his dealer flashed the system and all is working just fine. OK, I will wait until mid-April and see if my dealer can do it.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:55 PM
Bproctor
Cruiser

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
OK, now I am totally lost. Your dealers says the software is not available.

Guy here from NC said his dealer flashed the system and all is working just fine. OK, I will wait until mid-April and see if my dealer can do it.
When I went in for my service yesterday, I showed the service manager the email I received saying the part was available. He looked up the part number and said they had it in stock. After the bike went back, he came out a few minutes later telling me I already had the hold assist. So we went back to the parts description page and I showed him it was the upgrade for adding the neural option. Never heard anything else, but I was there almost four hours. I imagine something had to be downloaded / updated for them to flash it, I don't know and was never told anything more. When I went out to the bike I tested it with the stand down and nothing, popped the stand up and it worked like a champ in neutral. That was at Speedway Harley Davidson in Concord, NC.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:28 PM
Pappy35
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Bproctor
When I went in for my service yesterday, I showed the service manager the email I received saying the part was available. He looked up the part number and said they had it in stock. After the bike went back, he came out a few minutes later telling me I already had the hold assist. So we went back to the parts description page and I showed him it was the upgrade for adding the neural option. Never heard anything else, but I was there almost four hours. I imagine something had to be downloaded / updated for them to flash it, I don't know and was never told anything more. When I went out to the bike I tested it with the stand down and nothing, popped the stand up and it worked like a champ in neutral. That was at Speedway Harley Davidson in Concord, NC.
Gotta worry about service departments that have no idea whether this is an OEM feature or not. I've looked at a dozen '24 non-CVO Glides and none of them have the switch from the factory.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:19 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bproctor
Yes, my dealer told me the same thing - they have the parts there but have not received the download. I am back there on Saturday -so, will ask that question.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:41 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 705 Posts

FYI, I have a 2023 Road Glide Limited, with factory RDRS (bought it last June)... I picked up and installed the kickstand sensor ($70) today, which if realized the plastic plug comes out the top (dig it out with a pick) I would not have even had to take anything off the bike except the coolant pump cover (to get to the electrical connector). Instead I took the kickstand off to get the plastic plug out of the mounting hole for the sensor... dig it out with a pick.... and mount the sensor in place with the bolt that comes with it. I ran the wire around the front of the kickstand's mounting plate (really only one way to route it), where the big curve notch is in the front of the kickstand's mounting plate, to the frame's down tube (there was already a small empty harness clip there to tuck it into).

Under the coolant pump there is two connectors, one is for the kickstand sensor, it has a blank cover on it and a white plastic push anchor holding it to the bike... pop the plastic push anchor loose to get the connector to drop down where you can unplug the cap and plug in the sensor. You don't have to worry about screwing up the plastic push anchor (it'll be going in the trash), the kickstand sensor connector has own anchor on it's connector. Plug it in, push the anchor in, and put the plastic coolant pump cover back on the bike... you're done... with he install part.

I got my Diag4Bike out, hooked it up, went to "Toolbox", then "Side Stand Switch" and enabled it and exited out... that is all there was to it. It did not require any other setting to be messed with, or any download, firmware, etc. Also, I found the setting in TechnoResearch's Centurion Super Pro, under "ECU/ECM" & "ECU Enable/Disable", then "Side Stand"... pick enable.

Now in neutral (engine running) I can set hill hold and not need either hand on the controls, and it still works while in gear with the clutch pulled. If you slightly apply the brakes and the hill hold releases, or it will release when you let out on the clutch and take off. If you put the kickstand down while the bike is in gear, it will die... clutch in or not. Now there's a scrolling warning on the "Trip" screen if the kickstand it down (even in neutral).

If the dealer is installing/programming it for you, and doesn't know about it... just tell them to enable the side stand switch.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ssitruc:
dawg (04-05-2024), jwt873 (04-05-2024), lefty33 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 04:41 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Ssitruc - thanks, this is some great information. My local dealer has ordered the part for me -will let me know when it arrives.

Looks like mine would be the first he would be installing - no one else has asked for it. What we still don't know if how my trike conversion or what effect the conversion had on the side stand, other than the stand being removed. He said they could definitely figure it out.

This dealer service department is really good. The added the TPMS to my trike rear wheels when everyone told me this was impossible.

Also, glad to hear that you were about to make it work properly. Wonder why Harley is saying there is a download needed? So, when mine arrives, I will share your instructions with the dealer - especially the part about picking the plug out in case he is not aware of this. Since my kick stand is already off, this may be a little easier for them.

Thanks again.

Last edited by cycle7447; 04-06-2024 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:29 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

I ordered the part Tuesday morning, April 2nd, and they called late morning on the 5th and it was there... they just put it on their weekly order.

If the kickstand is off, push the plug out and be done with it... it comes out pretty easy, and if you're not paying attention it'll get lost on the floor (really small), but its trash too. The plug is covering/in bolt #2's hole (red arrow).

I think it is more a thing of they haven't done it before, and maybe they think it would require "something more" than just enabling the kickstand switch (if you have RDRS)... I mean they're thinking "how could just adding a kickstand sensor get it to do that???, there must me something else needed too, so the bike "knows" to do the hill hold differently".... maybe??, IDK?

Could be they are just looking in the wrong place for the setting on Digital Tech??? For instance, the guys I use are great, they too helped me with the TPMS on my '16 RGU, when other's were saying can't be done (they absolutely knew if could be done and were very helpful)... but with this (I talked with them on my way out with the part) they were talking about looking in "BCM Customizations" as to where the setting "might be"... and that may not be where it is at on Digital Tech (IDK), but it might be under ECU/ECM on Digital Tech... like it is in TechnoResearch's Centurion (also it wasn't under "BCM Customizations" on Diag4Bike either)... again IDK

On a side note... If you don't have a kickstand, have you thought about just mounting the sensor some place where the tip of the sensor is right up against some metal? When the kickstand it up, the kickstand's metal tab is right over the sensor (green arrow in pic above)... If I had a trike I'd probably test with the sensor (with different density of metals) and if it worked, then make me a mount to mount it to the plate under the coolant cover, where the connector's anchor snaps in at (just drill a hole for it)... just a thought... but if the bike has a kickstand, it is too easy to just do it as designed.
Really quickly thrown together picture of what I mean, but I think it gets the idea across.... instead of adding a kickstand to a trike, and it could be done later...

Last edited by Ssitruc; 04-06-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:06 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Corrections:
In neutral (engine running) I can set hill hold and not need either hand on the controls, and it will still engage while in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Then if you slightly apply the brakes (front or rear), then hill hold releases, or it will release when you let out on the clutch and take off.
Hill hold will also release when you put the kickstand down, even if you're in neutral (but when in neutral it doesn't kill the motor), it will not engage if you're in neutral with the engine running and the kickstand is down.

Also, if you put the kickstand down while the bike is in gear, it will die... clutch in or not. The scrolling warning on the "Trip" screen that says "kickstand down" (I think that's what it said) only happens if the kickstand is put down with it in gear and it kills the motor (otherwise I didn't see the warning).

Last edited by Ssitruc; 04-06-2024 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:48 AM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 194 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Corrections:
In neutral (engine running) I can set hill hold and not need either hand on the controls, and it will still engage while in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Then if you slightly apply the brakes (front or rear), then hill hold releases, or it will release when you let out on the clutch and take off.
Hill hold will also release when you put the kickstand down, even if you're in neutral (but when in neutral it doesn't kill the motor), it will not engage if you're in neutral with the engine running and the kickstand is down.
I think you might have just hit on why there is a delay from the factory on the software. Face it, we live in a litigious society. Imagine you have hill hold engaged in neutral, and you decide to put down the sidestand not realizing (or forgetting) that will cancel hill hold. You’re surprised as the bike immediately starts to roll backwards, and you lose control of it. That scenario has lawsuit written all over it. The potential liability to HD would be significant.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:29 AM
Hedonism
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 39 Posts

would a disclaimer / warning not be enough?

Quick Reply: Hill Hold in Neutral Option