Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023 | 03:40 PM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

You keep saying you're checking via TPMS primarily, before you ride or at night.

I'm far from a TPMS expert but as far as I am aware they need to be rolling for a minute or 2 to send a "fresh" read. I am wondering if that's contributing to the inconsistency.

Other than that, if you need to put a couple pounds in your tire every couple days, that is definitely a leak

I also would take the time to spray it and see if any bubbles show up

I also wouldn't take rounders advice. Or really spend any time reading his posts

The following 2 users liked this post by BTLorys:
CoolBreeze3646 (04-11-2023), mazz (04-12-2023)
Old 04-11-2023 | 04:40 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

FWIW, per that DocHarley youTube video... When the bike is ridden 25mph for like 20 seconds it "wakes" the HD sensors up... then I think they refresh every 60 seconds... then after the bike is parked for like 7 minute or more back to sleep they go, and then only update every 4 hours in sleep mode... That seems right from my experience. But I have never had mine change more than a pound from what it says in the garage after being parked overnight to the first "refresh" when it "woke up", usually it doesn't change at all until the tire starts warming up and that doesn't take long.

Old 04-11-2023 | 04:49 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

99% of air gauges can not accurately measure a 2 pound difference.

Old 04-11-2023 | 05:01 PM
Black Ultra
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by smitty901
Don't know about "99% of air gauges", but the ones I'm using can read much more precisely than that.

I use a slightly older version of this on my home compressor:
https://longacreracing.com/products....Gauge-0-60-psi
Mine has a quick clip valve stem attachment so you don't have to hold it there.

Last edited by Black Ultra; 04-11-2023 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2023 | 05:35 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Riders Club Member

If you're using the factory TPMS, you're probably seeing the difference between the last read (warm tires) and the first read of the new ride (cold tires).

Old 04-11-2023 | 05:40 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ultra103
If you're using the factory TPMS, you're probably seeing the difference between the last read (warm tires) and the first read of the new ride (cold tires).
I have two bikes with RDRS (and factory TPMS).

This does not occur with that system.

Old 04-11-2023 | 08:34 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
So would you say it is a waste of time to worry about 2 pounds in one day, but rather look at it over a few days? Careful they will turn on you.

Old 04-12-2023 | 06:44 AM
RVTRKN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Black Ultra
I know you are supposed to check pressure each time before you take the bike out. But is it normal to need a couple pounds in each tire EVERY day? I took the bike out Friday, Saturday and today. Each day I checked pressure before I left the house. Each day I had to add a couple pounds to each tire. Temps were nearly identical each time and my garage is heated and never goes below 60 deg.

Is this normal or do I have slow leaks?
I had a similar issue, seemed like they were low every week. Now I’m not as **** as some about checking air pressure, but with a visual inspection, I could see the front was low on pressure, that made me check before I rode it. I took the bike to a local custom bike shop, when he saw I had chrome wheels, he checked the tire beads, sure enough it was leaking around at the tire beads. When he removed the front tire you could visually see the chrome flaking off the wheel and was stuck to the tires in some spots. My 2011 Ultra Limited came with chrome wheels, and the Ultra Classic came with polished aluminum. Thankfully the custom shop had a used set of the same style in the polished aluminum from an Ultra Classic, I never had the problem again.

The following users liked this post:
talkingrock (04-12-2023)
Old 04-13-2023 | 07:06 PM
Black Ultra
|
Road Master

Update: After 3 days of not adding any air, I got the low tire pressure warning when turn the bike on this evening. Rear was at 34.6 psi. (TPMS said 34 psi) The front however was still at 40 psi where I set it. Maybe when I checked the valve core I snugged it just a bit and made the front stop leaking??? I don't have a jack yet so I rolled the bike back a little at a time and looked over the rear tire, I can only see about 20% of the tread in any 1 position. I can see nothing that looks like a puncture of any kind. So, if it's not a puncture, it should be a warranty issue. I will be calling for an appointment to take it in to be corrected. Thanks for all the replies and advice!

Old 04-13-2023 | 07:09 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Black Ultra
Update: After 3 days of not adding any air, I got the low tire pressure warning when turn the bike on this evening. Rear was at 34.6 psi. (TPMS said 34 psi) The front however was still at 40 psi where I set it. Maybe when I checked the valve core I snugged it just a bit and made the front stop leaking??? I don't have a jack yet so I rolled the bike back a little at a time and looked over the rear tire, I can only see about 20% of the tread in any 1 position. I can see nothing that looks like a puncture of any kind. So, if it's not a puncture, it should be a warranty issue. I will be calling for an appointment to take it in to be corrected. Thanks for all the replies and advice!
Get yourself a scissors jack. Black Widow, Drag Specialties, or others. You’ll use it for many things beyond just inspecting your tires or final drive belt.

The following users liked this post:
BigD48 (04-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Tire pressure