Sponsored by:

The 2023 Road King FLHR Lives On As The FLHP

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 09:11 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulkss
In my opinion there is absolutely no need for the head breather bolts with the new transmission cover that vents the engine oil pan externally. There are two large pushrod cover tubes that connect each rocker box to the cam chest so there is absolutely no way pressure can be trapped in the rocker boxes. With the "old" system, piston blow-by went up the pushrod tubes and out the breather bolts. With the transmission vented cover, blow-by goes through internal passages to the oil pan and out the vent. I have ridden 4000 miles now with the breather bolts replaced with solid cap screws as I posted earlier. The end of the new vent tube has remained free of any oil as far as I can tell with a finger. I start near the full level after an oil change and have not needed to add oil between 5000 mile change intervals.
Thanks man. Does this new trans cover has any valve as part of the design similar to umbrella valve in heads or is it “open” system that allow flow to and from atmosphere? Do you also think I can get away with shorter hose?

Old 05-31-2024, 11:51 AM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,924 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Thanks man. Does this new trans cover has any valve as part of the design similar to umbrella valve in heads or is it “open” system that allow flow to and from atmosphere? Do you also think I can get away with shorter hose?
I would run a hose up under the seat and then back down somewhere. I went to the back of the bike, if some oil comes out I don't want it on my bike, rear tire, or the drive belt.

Here's the video about it:

Last edited by Hulkss; 05-31-2024 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lp (06-01-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 03:49 PM
Rocketman83
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

JD has a very unique approach to this:

I am not sure if JD’s approach will really work because the head vent pressure will be the same as the crank case so I can’t see how the head is going to breath back into the case.
I myself, after talking first hand to a few people with modded bikes - think the factory venting plus the crank case venting through the trans cover together is the way to go. A local guy plugged up his head bolts and ran only the transmission vent and switched back to running both. The benefit o f running it into the intake is the reduce pressure (vaccume) advantage to facilitate the evacuation of the crank case.
I will look to add the 121cui trans cover to my engine, as long as it retains the transmission venting and run seafoam or Lucas oil every few thousand miles to clear out the build up.

Last edited by Rocketman83; 05-31-2024 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 04:11 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Rocketman83
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxPxOOlOSuw

I am not sure if JD’s approach will really work because the head vent pressure will be the same as the crank case so I can’t see how the head is going to breath back into the case.
I myself, after talking first hand to a few people with modded bikes - think the factory venting plus the crank case venting through the trans cover together is the way to go. A local guy plugged up his head bolts and ran only the transmission vent and switched back to running both. The benefit o f running it into the intake is the reduce pressure (vaccume) advantage to facilitate the evacuation of the crank case.
I will look to add the 121cui trans cover to my engine, as long as it retains the transmission venting and run seafoam or Lucas oil every few thousand miles to clear out the build up.
For $89 the well designed H-D cover with its air/oil separation features is the way to go in my opinion. The pushrod cover tubes are huge compared to the tiny head bolt vents making the cam chest and the rocker boxes essentially the same internal volume. Blow-by gasses come from the crankcase, not the heads, and enter the cam chest through the gaps in the roller bearings. The tiny head bolt passages are useless when compared to the H-D vent cover that has 9 times more flow area. H-D did delete the head breathers on the 121 engine.

Routing the vent line to the engine intake does nothing except reduce carbon emissions and gum-up your engine with carbon if your ring seal is not perfect. Keep in mind, the stock vent line routes into the air volume outside of the throttle valve. Pressure here is essentially ambient, not vacuum like inside the intake manifold.

Last edited by Hulkss; 05-31-2024 at 04:21 PM.
Ken45 (06-01-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 04:45 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,393 Likes on 2,976 Posts

Installed the 14” KST Straight Jackets. They are perfect. I shoulda listened to the OP. I seem to like to do things the hard way.

This is the third bike in as many years that I installed two sets of bars, each bike, before I decided I was comfortable. Six sets in three years. That’s three sets too many.

I had already installed the 4” clutch cable extension. I was able to run the stock brake line. I just removed it from the cable tray and zip tied it in place about an inch above its normal position.

My cigarette lighter power adapter and Quad Lock phone mount sorta clutter up the handle bars, but this bike is much more for go, than show.

The following 3 users liked this post by gonemad:
18PiecesofFlair (06-04-2024), Hulkss (06-04-2024), rauchman (08-09-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 04:55 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rocketman83
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxPxOOlOSuw

Should get hands on my new trans/crank vent cover in next few days. Thought I will run both initially just to see what happen but plan to plug these heads later on depending on initial results.

Old 06-04-2024, 05:17 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by gonemad
Installed the 14” KST Straight Jackets. They are perfect.
The police seat is best with tall bars, that's for sure.

I like that black & white bike.

gonemad (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 05:19 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hulkss
The police seat is best with tall bars, that's for sure.
I tried to like it with both stock, and 12” KSTs. That ole kink between the shoulder blades would get me, that the taller bars relieve.

Old 06-07-2024, 01:53 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

I’m at 3,000 miles, maybe 2,500 of them on the police seat. It seems noticeably more comfortable to me than it did at half that mileage. I did make some minor mods to the top of the seat foam by shaving a little off the top, about where my taint meat rides, but my thinking is the seat has just broken in some and I’m getting really happy with it.

I also expect having slightly taller bars helps that with more comfortable posture.

Last edited by gonemad; 06-07-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Hulkss (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 04:46 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Now trans cover in hands

Hulkss (06-07-2024)

Quick Reply: The 2023 Road King FLHR Lives On As The FLHP